soundtoys V5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Hi everyone

I'm trying to figure out how this new "no dongle" method of authorizing works. I hate dongles with a passion so I'm curiously eyeballing Soundtoys V5 with the Black Friday discount.

I tend to do a lot of system format/reinstalls throughout the year to keep a super clean system. Regularly removing stuff I don't use (or have sold) to reset with a fresh system.

I'm trying to figure out how you authorize and deauthorize the Soundtoys plug-ins. Can you use an offline method with a challenge response file thing (like iZotope). Or can you simply activate and deactivate as necessary (like Arturia). Any insight into how it works would be great.

Thanks.

Have to be online to authorize to the hard drive. Offline machine have to use dongle. Can move the activations as many times as you want

softska wrote:Have to be online to authorize to the hard drive. Offline machine have to use dongle. Can move the activations as many times as you want
Great. So, if I understand it correctly, you can authorize and deauthorize your license as many times as you want on the same machine. It's not restricted by X amount of activation/deactivations?

C.Bennett wrote:
softska wrote:Have to be online to authorize to the hard drive. Offline machine have to use dongle. Can move the activations as many times as you want
Great. So, if I understand it correctly, you can authorize and deauthorize your license as many times as you want on the same machine. It's not restricted by X amount of activation/deactivations?
As many times as you want to move it around. Activation count is the amount of devices (ilok or hdd) that can be activated at the same time.

softska wrote:As many times as you want to move it around. Activation count is the amount of devices (ilok or hdd) that can be activated at the same time.
Great. Thanks for the replies :)

Ryan99 wrote:
musikmachine wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:Did you select your current Soundtoys plugins to trade in for the upgrade?. If you own all Soundtoys plugins apart from Primaltap you can get the upgrade price down to $50
It's the same for me and all i have is an upgrade link next to the two plugins for $360 i have, both can't be combined so not sure what's going on, seems odd when it's less to buy ST5 outright!

Was gonna contact support to see if it's an oversight, seems like it should be if native owners get a discount...
It's not an oversight. I asked the same thing on their Facebook page and got a link on their FAQ stating that since the upgrade is already a discount, they never have a sale on the upgrades...
Thanks.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Wow. I spent 6-7 hours trying to get the demo to register in Cubase without crashing. Turns out that it puts some things in "Public Documents", and I have that and some other things pointed to another drive. Been so long, I've forgotten the details. There is also a Public Documents folder on my boot drive. The files went there. I copied them to my other drive and whammo! It worked. Now I'm too tired to play with the demo, other than I verified that it's working. :dog:
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

Amberience wrote:
TheoM wrote:ok i went through all the soundtoys effects one by one except for the rack.. i was tweaking decapitator, i saved the project and quit logic, and it said "microshift has crashed logic". Microshift wasn't even in the project then! It had been used about 4 effects prior. Over this for now.
You probably should've stuck with Reason dude. :tu:
funny how i can't even talk about a plugin crash without 2 people making smart ass comments.

Continue the cyber stalking fellas, it's actually getting to proportions even I can't believe. Anyone else would have been talked to seriously not made fun of.

My retort is that if the plugin was coded properly it wouldn't crash. Just like I can go through 60 uad effects replacing one on top of the other in series, tweak every parameter of each one, and never have a single crash. ;)

same with overloud, same with waves, etc.

KenBogdanowicz wrote:
TheoM wrote:these are still unusable to me.. i was talking to soundtoys over so many emails about this problem years back and it is still there. It's so frustrating and potentially ear damaging....I am going to make a video of this too.
Yes, that sounds awful. PLEASE re-connect with our support team, because as far as I am aware this issue is not on our bug list, nor was it seen by any of our beta testers. We have fixed many, many bugs over the past year, and I have done virtually all of my development and testing using Logic 10.10 and have never seen this issue pop up.

Here's the link: https://www.soundtoys.com/forms/support

Also please e-mail me directly at ken@soundtoys.com so that I can make sure it gets looked at. In general, for s to fix any issue, we need to be able to reproduce it in house, so if you have a step-by-step recipe for doing that it would be very helpful to us.

-- Best

Ken Bogdanowicz
Soundtoys

as you can see Dan has confirmed it below.. what would be the point of spending more time with support on this when i have already wasted my time sending emails back and forth years back and it wasn't fixed? :? :shrug:

dan@soundtoys wrote:
TheoM wrote:
What happens is that i have made a setting with a knob. Let's use an example here, that i have driven radiator to it's max input, but also lowered it to it's negative max output.. i.e i was simply driving the sat without increasing the volume.

All good. I go to grab the output knob, and it behaves as expected, i can adjust the volume from where i last had it. But every so often, say 1 in 10 times, when going to grab any soundtoys knob on any plugin, instead of grabbing where it is position wise, it just jumps to some random (usually extreme) position. This time the output decided to jump to +18 db :dog: - and all i was trying to do was grab it so i could take it from MINUS 18 db to around minus 15. If i hadn't had the logic isp limiter on the master i probably would have blown my iloud.. and thank goodness i was not wearing headphones.

But the knob one is actually infuriating. For real. I mean it's done it on devil loc deluxe and radiator so far. Which, with decapitator in third place, are my two favourite soundtoys plugins of all time.
I'm sorry you keep running into that knob sensitivity issue, Theo! We actually just brought that issue up again internally, and we have a video of it happening in our bugtracker. There is pretty much an accidentally large "hit zone" on a few different knobs, which means that clicking in a particular way can cause the knob to jump around.

Like Ken mentioned, we fixed a huge number of bugs leading up to this release. This just was not one of them, but it doesn't mean we won't be fixing it. We will continue to spin maintenance releases of Soundtoys 5 in the coming weeks.
Now soundtoys can't even try tell me it's my machine.. cause this is a brand new machine and new OS from the last time we spoke. All i did was turn it on, install logic from the app store, reboot, ilok manager, reboot, soundtoys 5, reboot, waves, reboot. That's it so far.
and OS 10.10.5. Macbook pro retina 2.8ghz 15', and nvidia 750 video.(and iris pro)

previous machine with identical problem was a 2011 non retina, with amd graphics. Using 10.6/10.7/10.8 and finally 10.9 before it was retired.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but if you submit a message on our support form (soundtoys.com/forms/support) we'll definitely be able to help you out. This doensn't seem like anything permanent. We could always swap you license out with a fresh copy if your computer muddled it up.
I am going to make a video of this too.
Please do! If you send this to our support team, we'd be happy to take a look. Your experience will help us solve the problem faster. After you submit a support form, you can reply to our "auto-response" with any attachments that are relevant your case, which includes a video.
I am also experiencing other bugs with displays, like displays names of parameters on the echo filters jumbling to nonsense, when i click on them they go back to hi or lo pass.

And more bugs i am compiling in the mac notepad.
Please send these to us as well! We can't test on every possible system (though we try) so anything you find wrong with the product is welcome information that can help us improve our product.

Improving our compatibility with Retina displays in on our list. We are aware that the EffectRack can be a bit laggy on Retina displays, so we are working on that.

In summary, everything that you mentioned is in our queue to work on, and we are very welcoming to bug reports, since they can help us solve the problems faster. I'm sorry that you've run into these little issues, but we are working hard to get them resolved. The V5 upgrade was not just about bug fixes - we will continue to fix bugs no matter what version we are on. Version 5 was a logical next step in compiling all of our products into one giant installer/license, for convenience and ease-of-use. For a list of all of our major improvements (excluding the bug-fixes that we did implement, which were extensive), please check out this news item from our site:

https://www.soundtoys.com/whats-new-in-soundtoys-5/
Sorry but this is a serious one as it can potentially blow speakers and cause ear damage cause a knob with one click, where all you want to do is relatively move it from it's current position, can jump to the most extreme setting possible with one click.

I have no intention of continuing bug reports when you well know as you and i emailed about it in the past, that this was the only reason i sold the bundle the first time i owned it. I think giving you three (has it been three?) YEARS to fix a knob issue was patient enough. Honestly in my wildest dreams i never could have imagined it would make it into version 5.

What i "meant by this" where you say you aren't sure, is that it's a new machine with a fresh OS install.. nothing much on the machine except for a few plugins and daw, so soundtoys support "can't tell me it's my machine".. hope that makes sense now..as a faulty machine with entirely different specs would not show an identical bug in an identical way happening exactly the same way.. in other words, it's a soundtoys bug. I used to think it might have been the amd graphics in the previous machine, but this one has nvidia.

As far as the numerical display issue in echoboy I will check the 5.01 release and see if it's been fixed, then i will uninstall them all anyway as i am selling them (again). Just to be honest since it's ben so long, i am not really willing to wait another three years for a "maybe fix". That bug should have been *squashed* a long time ago. In fact i don't think I have ever actually experienced that behaviour in any other plugin.. and that's saying something if you knew how many plugins i have used LOL.

What would be REALLY cool though is if we can downgrade me back to the stuff i had before, as i am going to lose my freebies now too which i campaigned for and got legitimately.

Am I missing something? I can't see a way to assign a CC to a knob. Surely I don't have to draw automation?? I'll chase down the manual... 8)

rustman wrote:Am I missing something? I can't see a way to assign a CC to a knob. Surely I don't have to draw automation?? I'll chase down the manual... 8)
I see no sign of midi learn. No right click context menu. Thus means recording any automation with a mouse and inevitably having to edit it.

Regardless, I knew that I'd kick myself if I don't go through with it and buy the whole lot for basically half of list. I bought it, tremor, Cream, and Auto Theory. :tu:

rustman wrote:
rustman wrote:Am I missing something? I can't see a way to assign a CC to a knob. Surely I don't have to draw automation?? I'll chase down the manual... 8)
I see no sign of midi learn. No right click context menu. Thus means recording any automation with a mouse and inevitably having to edit it.

Regardless, I knew that I'd kick myself if I don't go through with it and buy the whole lot for basically half of list. I bought it, tremor, Cream, and Auto Theory. :tu:
I don't know what DAW your using, but most DAWs recognise and map Sountoys knobs automatically and let you map them to any controler (with BWS, Live and S1 it takes seconds to map to hardware and can be saved)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Been trying the demo and I really like it so I was thinking about getting it today but I have one concern... Will sessions saved with v5 open on another computer with v4?? The studios I work out of mostly have v4 and if I work on my own setup and then take it to the studio I would hate to have to redo all my soundtoys plugins. Anyone have any experience saving a Pro Tools session with v5 and bringing it to another computer with v4? Thanks!

SLiC wrote:
rustman wrote:

I don't know what DAW your using, but most DAWs recognise and map Sountoys knobs automatically and let you map them to any controler (with BWS, Live and S1 it takes seconds to map to hardware and can be saved)
I'm sure Cubase does it somehow. Many plugins can be set to learn, and then you just wiggle a knob on the controller and it's mapped, no need to even know what the CC number even is. It's not that important, really. I bought it last night anyway.

Return to “Effects”