Phase Distortion Synthesis

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Ingonator wrote:
BlackWinny wrote: For the "multi-synthesis synths" that I know or that I have heard about, here are some which have PD with absolute certitude (at least as a modulation between two oscillators):
  • Nemesis
  • Saurus
  • Spectral
  • SynthMaster

And of course those I mentioned before because focused only on PD synthesis.

And I miss probably some other famous that I've forgotten in this list. I would be not surprised concerning Dune 2, Sylenth 1, one of the DCAM collection (and perhaps Spire and some others...)
Not really sure about many synths in your list, especially those i quoted.

- Nemesis is able to do PD (besides other synthesis methodes like FM and phase modulation) as i mentioned above.
- Saurus should not be able to do any phase distortion
- Spectral is an additive/spectral synth wit hthe ability to do FM or phase moduation but no phase distortion AFAIK.
- Synthmaster offers phase modulation and frequency modulation but no phase distortion AFAIK
- DUNE 2 could do FM but no phase distortion AFAIK
- Sylenth1 should also not do phase distortion, same with Synth Squad (while Cypher could do FM)

One comment on "phase modulation":
Most FM synths including the Yamaha ones did not actually use FM but phase modulation which could be similar but depending on the waveforms used also quite different. Tone2 nemesis with the "NeoFM" synthesis modes offers "real" FM while it also includes a few phase modulation ("PM") modes. The difference of real FM could be noticed when using complex waveforms which do not really work properly with phase modulation.

To avoid some confusion:
FM = Frequency modulation
PM = Phase modulation
PD = Phase distortion
AM = Amplitude modulation

Ingo
DUNE2 can do PD, as well as PM, using audio rate modulation. You just need to have the appropriate wavetables to do this :)
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Krakatau wrote:i'm surprised not seeing virtualCZ on the current list ?

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/4 ... -VirtualCZ
thanks for the mention. 40% off until 01/12/15

cheers

oli

hibrasil wrote:
Krakatau wrote:i'm surprised not seeing virtualCZ on the current list ?

http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/4 ... -VirtualCZ
thanks for the mention. 40% off until 01/12/15

cheers

oli
Awesome synth, underrated for sure :)

Don't know if mentioned already, but u-he Bazille also can do PD.

Not a dedicated Phase distortion synth but the wavetable oscillator in UVI Falcon allows doing PD with both wavetables and single waveforms. For doing that there are two dedicated controls for PD mode and PD amount in the wavetable osc module.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Chris-S wrote:Don't know if mentioned already, but u-he Bazille also can do PD.
It has been mentioned but it might be the only modular synth that uses PM and PD as its base synthesis. I'm still learning it and man how challenging is it! In very good way, like chess! You need to think how to link the different pieces together. It is a great and very deep synth but at the same time very clear and the oscilloscope view is so helpful to understand PD synthesis. It's really an amazing synth :love: The price also is very low compared to the huge amounts of thoughts put into it 8)

Numanoid wrote:NeoGen has got updated to v1.1 which they claim has made big improvements to reduce the CPU use :)
New 64 patch expansions, but no 64 bit version as of yet :(

https://tekit-audio.com/products/expansions/neo-blue/

cytospur wrote:
Ingonator wrote:
BlackWinny wrote: For the "multi-synthesis synths" that I know or that I have heard about, here are some which have PD with absolute certitude (at least as a modulation between two oscillators):
  • Nemesis
  • Saurus
  • Spectral
  • SynthMaster

And of course those I mentioned before because focused only on PD synthesis.

And I miss probably some other famous that I've forgotten in this list. I would be not surprised concerning Dune 2, Sylenth 1, one of the DCAM collection (and perhaps Spire and some others...)
Not really sure about many synths in your list, especially those i quoted.

- Nemesis is able to do PD (besides other synthesis methodes like FM and phase modulation) as i mentioned above.
- Saurus should not be able to do any phase distortion
- Spectral is an additive/spectral synth wit hthe ability to do FM or phase moduation but no phase distortion AFAIK.
- Synthmaster offers phase modulation and frequency modulation but no phase distortion AFAIK
- DUNE 2 could do FM but no phase distortion AFAIK
- Sylenth1 should also not do phase distortion, same with Synth Squad (while Cypher could do FM)

One comment on "phase modulation":
Most FM synths including the Yamaha ones did not actually use FM but phase modulation which could be similar but depending on the waveforms used also quite different. Tone2 nemesis with the "NeoFM" synthesis modes offers "real" FM while it also includes a few phase modulation ("PM") modes. The difference of real FM could be noticed when using complex waveforms which do not really work properly with phase modulation.

To avoid some confusion:
FM = Frequency modulation
PM = Phase modulation
PD = Phase distortion
AM = Amplitude modulation

Ingo
DUNE2 can do PD, as well as PM, using audio rate modulation. You just need to have the appropriate wavetables to do this :)
If you're talking about scanning trough a prepared wavetable to achieve the pd effect ,yes .
Otherwise : NO
Phase distortion requires mod.and carr. to be synced to each other , you can't sync 2 osc's in dune 2
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”