Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Omkar wrote:...........

Just received a mail of a free v3.1 update,
maybe this solves a bunch of issues.
Me too ...
We are hard at work finishing Mixbus v3.1 which will be a FREE update to v3 users. This new update will provide support for control surfaces as well as many other often-requested features.
Oh wow, a FREE update.
Mixbus is a grand undertaking, and has far-reaching implications for our industry.
Wow. A DAW with far-reaching implications. This is so exciting. :wheee:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

jeffh wrote:I'm no Steinberg fanboy, but they do provide a demo version of Cubase without requiring a dongle:
steinberg.com wrote: The free Cubase Elements 8 trial version runs for 30 days without any limitations. No registration is required. Just download, install and start recording, editing and mixing your music in exceptional quality. And the Cubase Elements trial version runs without a USB-eLicenser
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/trial.html

well there you go, and that's absolutely good enough to check how cubase runs on one's system and how the midi/audio editing works. Nice find.

Once you mixed in Mixbus, You will hate working with others.
When I think about it, I can't believe how much other DAW developers are milking their trusted customers. Charging them for an upgrade for which can be point release.

Studio Saturn wrote:Once you mixed in Mixbus, You will hate working with others.
When I think about it, I can't believe how much other DAW developers are milking their trusted customers. Charging them for an upgrade for which can be point release.

i found ardour pretty painful to use, tried the latest version by donating.. or are you talking about the "sound" of mixbuss?

The harrison EQ in uad is one of my favourite eq plugins of all time, it just works on every channel, but i presume it's the saturation you love?

Surely there are other plugin chains that could give a different but equally awesome sound?

I think Mixbus is a great concept , but why not release a VST plugins version where you have 3 channel strips plugins, ex. TrackStrip , BusStrip , and MasterBusStrip ? Yes I know not the same workflow but you'd get that Harrison sound . I'm sure I've said this before somewhere . Can't they make an ARA type thing to use with existing DAW VST/AU hosts ?

Theo, I've subscribed to Ardour just to see the development and I can't lie to you honestly I have found it hard going and I've never used it even though I love working In Harrison Mixbus. They are two totally different products IMHO. And Ardour have confused the hell out of me. still does. May be cause Mixbus is the easy going version of ardour.

When its come to Mixbus everything is in front of me. A joy to work with. when I mix I drive the mix the mix doesn't drive me. from the looks to the sound. And yes I'm talking about the sound and the workflow for me the best. gain staging is so easy in edit window without chopping wave files and so. I just sold my Reason 7 just for a 100 bucks here in Kvr. Mixbus just makes Reason absolute. Now I enjoy working with Studio one 3, Logic pro x and Mixbus 3 for final mix.

Studio Saturn wrote:Theo, I've subscribed to Ardour just to see the development and I can't lie to you honestly I have found it hard going and I've never used it even though I love working In Harrison Mixbus. They are two totally different products IMHO. And Ardour have confused the hell out of me. still does. May be cause Mixbus is the easy going version of ardour.

When its come to Mixbus everything is in front of me. A joy to work with. when I mix I drive the mix the mix doesn't drive me. from the looks to the sound. And yes I'm talking about the sound and the workflow for me the best. gain staging is so easy in edit window without chopping wave files and so. I just sold my Reason 7 just for a 100 bucks here in Kvr. Mixbus just makes Reason absolute. Now I enjoy working with Studio one 3, Logic pro x and Mixbus 3 for final mix.

OK thanks, i am glad i am not the only one who found ardour confusing.

I still disagree with the no demo policy and the whole thing that makes it even more pointless is that mixbuss 3 is fully available at the usual bad sites. All they are doing is punishing potential customers who are dying to check it out and WILL pay for it if they like it.

fedexnman wrote:I think Mixbus is a great concept , but why not release a VST plugins version where you have 3 channel strips plugins, ex. TrackStrip , BusStrip , and MasterBusStrip ? Yes I know not the same workflow but you'd get that Harrison sound . I'm sure I've said this before somewhere . Can't they make an ARA type thing to use with existing DAW VST/AU hosts ?
The whole point of MB is the console workflow - simplifying mixing back to when consoles ruled - and thousand of great records were made - without huge plugin chains and overly critical itb 'thinking' - a plugin version would completely go against that philosophy.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

The whole point of MB is to sell their silly priced plugins etc.

Plug-in Essentials Bundle
$69

NEW! Character Plug-in Bundle
$129

NEW! XT-DS De-Esser
$109

NEW! XT-EG Expander / Gate
$109

XT-EQ Equalizer
$49

XT-ME Mastering Equalizer
$109

XT-MC Multi-Band Compressor
$109

XT-LC Lookahead Compressor
$109

Etc ...

imho :)

Aloysius wrote:The whole point of MB is to sell their silly priced plugins etc.

Plug-in Essentials Bundle
$69

NEW! Character Plug-in Bundle
$129

NEW! XT-DS De-Esser
$109

NEW! XT-EG Expander / Gate
$109

XT-EQ Equalizer
$49

XT-ME Mastering Equalizer
$109

XT-MC Multi-Band Compressor
$109

XT-LC Lookahead Compressor
$109

Etc ...

imho :)
There are far more expensive plugins than that around as you probably know. Do you mean silly as in overpriced for their quality? I've only ever used the included compressor/expander (dynamite) which is excellent.

Whoop Dee Doo.

Aloysius, First of all Harrison didn't force anybody to buy their plugins, still you can use them on console mode. all you can't use is the GUI. The GUI is locked until you purchase a license meaning you pay for tweaking the GUI and to support the company.

Second, do yo prefer paying 400 bucks for a DAW may be or may be an FX that you might not be able to use and like or pay less and use Melda production free plugins etc. Lets be reasonable Aloysius.

Aloysius wrote:Whoop Dee Doo.
I, for one, am glad to see such intelligent answers.

do_androids_dream wrote: I've done many professional mixes inV2.5 as have many others.
Not sure, PC or Mac ?

Can you talk a bit about your workflow
and which 3rd party plugins you use on insert/bus/aux ?
(Basically do work well in Mixbus)
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Omkar wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: I've done many professional mixes inV2.5 as have many others.
Not sure, PC or Mac ?

Can you talk a bit about your workflow
and which 3rd party plugins you use on insert/bus/aux ?
(Basically do work well in Mixbus)
Almost all my plugins work fine in V2.5 - V3 is completely different as it's built on Ardour 4. It's probably not even relevant to talk about what plugins I use as V2.5 is not even available to buy now and seeing as I don't own V3 I haven't got a clue what works and what doesn't. What I can tell you is that the workflow of MB encourages far less plugin usage and more making quick decisions with the built in eq to make everything in your mix work together. One of the things destroying creative mixing nowadays is the itb surgical workflow led mainly by thousands of youtube 'tutorials' mostly by people who haven't got a clue what they're doing. Painstakingly eq'ing everything in solo.. sweeping for 'problem' frequencies - all that rubbish.. I digress ;) But yes, the workflow of MB is the most important thing - NOT the sound (the 'sound' of MB is debatable).

Oh - PC btw.

'Too Late','Generation Z' and 'The Best Love' (in my website player) were all done in MB - probably no more than 15 plugins in each project. Don't judge me too much on Too Late/Generation Z - these were Beat/Vocal mixes where all I get is the finished music and the vocals separately - so I had very little control over the music. My job is basically to get the vocals A:How the client wants them to sound and B:Sitting nicely in the mix.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”