Internal soundcard to sound front panel?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an HP pc. There was a front panel sound cable connected to the motherboard, when using the internal soundcard of the motherboard. This photo is called "FrontCable."

Can i now put it in its place(21 on the motherboard). Then.... put a cable from 22 on the motherboard to one of the connectors on the soundcard?
Last edited by BrokenTrance on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

And this is the soundcard.
Last edited by BrokenTrance on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well you dont show the soundcar completely but I am going to say : No, aftermarket soundcards normally connect to the PCI connector-

I really don't know what the hell you are doing. or why.
dedication to flying

It's hard to make out in the pic but I think that connector on the card is for analog CD audio.

BrokenTrance wrote:And this is the soundcard.
Picture seems broken / cropped. What's the make & model? I doubt though any add-on soundcard has a connector to use within the case. But if you can figure out what the proper contacts are, it can be done.

In theory, yes that aux in on the mobo could be used to connect to the output of a PCI(e) soundcard. Usually it's indeed for the analog out of a CD-ROM drive, and you have to figure out the pinout.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks for the answers. This is the soundcard http://www.terratec.de/details.php?artn ... lbsopAl_pA it's low budget but it works for what i'm doing. Problem is to find a auxilary cable..

I'm assuming that the connector on the motherboard is an input, possibly for CD Audio. So it wouldn't be able to feed sound to the card. And both of the card connectors are inputs according to the Terratec site.

I don't think it's possible to connect case front-panel audio to an add-on sound card unless they have a connector specifically for it.
Last edited by sprnva on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrokenTrance wrote:Thanks for the answers. This is the soundcard http://www.terratec.de/details.php?artn ... lbsopAl_pA it's low budget but it works for what i'm doing. Problem is to find a auxilary cable..
Taken from the specs - Onboard connections:
• CD audio input, stereo (MPC3)
• Aux in, stereo (MPC3)

So... no outs. Where are you going to get an output to connect the MoBo input? And why, for that matter? The less cables you have traveling inde, the better. A connection like the one you are trying to implement will be very noisy, almost for sure.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
BrokenTrance wrote:Thanks for the answers. This is the soundcard http://www.terratec.de/details.php?artn ... lbsopAl_pA it's low budget but it works for what i'm doing. Problem is to find a auxilary cable..
Taken from the specs - Onboard connections:
• CD audio input, stereo (MPC3)
• Aux in, stereo (MPC3)

So... no outs. Where are you going to get an output to connect the MoBo input? And why, for that matter? The less cables you have traveling inde, the better. A connection like the one you are trying to implement will be very noisy, almost for sure.
Thanks for your help! The reason i would like this is to connect headphones on the front panel and speakers on the back - i had it like this before. I guess external audio card is better.

sprnva wrote:I'm assuming that the connector on the motherboard is an input, possibly for CD Audio. So it wouldn't be able to feed sound to the card.
False assumption. If it's an audio line input (even when labelled CD but it's not) you can feed audio into that. CD-ROM drives output line level, and the output of the other card is line level as well.
sprnva wrote:And both of the card connectors are inputs according to the Terratec site.
That's correct. But the output jack connector of the card probably have solder points at the other side of the PCB. Figure out which is which, and with a solder iron you can attach a cable.
BrokenTrance wrote:Problem is to find a auxilary cable..
The cable itself is not the problem, just use a small piece of shielded hifi-style cable. The shielding should reject enough RF interference. But finding a fitting connector can be a challenge although the pins on a mobo all have the same spacing so maybe you can find something in the garbage that fits.

Good luck!

[edit] Just realised.. I've done something like this before. I just routed audio out of the extra card to the line in of the onboard card. All at the back of the PC with 3.5mm jacks, no internal cable...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Most, even low budget, sound cards come with a front audio panel connector these days. There are so many casings with front audio connector these days that it would be silly not to ship your sound card with an option. Just as an example, even my 40 € ASUS Xonar DS comes with front panel audio connectors. Pretty sure the Aureon didn't have one though. Actually i have one catching dust in the basement. I'll have a look.

Edit: Nope, no luck. The connector which you've shown in the pics is CD in, and AUX in. There's no front panel audio connector on the card. I'd recommend another card for audio anyway, it doesn't have the best sound, and as far as i remember, the shielding was horrible.

Look for a Steinberg UR12, around 99 USD.
dedication to flying

Thanks lads, it's been very helpful.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”