Shout up to Cthulhu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cthulhu

stardustmedia wrote:
TheoM wrote:ok just so i understand something.. can you write one chord yourself, the initial chord, and can cthulu then make intelligent progressions for subsequent chords like cubase chord track can?
No, it won't give you suggestions. You have to play thru and listen to them yourself.

so it gives you chords you can still click on and pick one then right? that's what the post sounds like.

if not, i am really surprised with the midi plugins now that no one has made a chord plugin to mimic cubase chord progression track.. would be rather popular for laptop users on the go IMO

acYm wrote:I have never had any setup or operation problems with either cthulhu or cream in FL (Patcher) and Sonar (yes, f**king Sonar aka routing hell on earth), so, not sure what that's about. What's supposed to be buggy (in cream), just curious?

What cream has that cthulhu doesn't: 4 tracks in a single instance, a polyphonic sequencer, an integrated step sequencer that send CC, and an integrated pattern sequencer.

Vice versa: cthulhu has more arp base patterns, and the bach chorales.

edit- oh, apparently I skipped a page, sorry for redundant post.
Cream also has 32 steps vs 16 for Cthulhu

Cream also has a hold function (very important), ability to set the length of each step, divide per step and you can set the midi note range

Cthulu can be used as a chorder without the arp, I never used it this way, and I could never figure out how to use the choral presets correctly. but if what you want is to program in a series of chords you can trigger with one finger and don't have a similar thing in your DAW. HAving this and the arp in the same plugin I guess is cool, but IMO it isn't the greatest arp. I'm not crazy about Cream either, I own it but it sits uninstalled. MAybe I should give it more of a chance, but Nora and Studio One's arp are spoiling me.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Cthulu can be used as a chorder without the arp, I never used it this way, and I could never figure out how to use the choral presets correctly.
And that's exactly the beauty of it. I don't know that either, I just play kinda randomly notes and and change single notes on the go to find a good chord progression. And sometimes, when you have a good progression, it's just fun to switch to another preset and you get totally different chords.

It's a time consuming process, but it delivers me chords I'd NEVER EVER could come up with.

It gets harder though, when I want to have a key change, since I don't know music theory. For instance I found a nice progression in A# Mixolydian. Then what could I take next? Since I don't know which ones would/could fit, I have to play thru. Time consuming, but as said above, it results in very cool chords.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Arp using Cream (Hive as synth)

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Hive41.mp3

Return to “Instruments”