UVI Vintage vault vs Arturia V4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jdoo wrote: Matrix-12 is (yet another) Arturia synth, with marginal sounds and destined to have limited to no support.
Don't be a jerk :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

Fleer wrote:
antithesist wrote:Buy both… I did!
And?
Short answer: both are good, and I'd really hate to pick one in an either/or situation.

If I had to, I'd probably go Arturia since they're purely algorithmic and likely less expensive.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

fmr wrote:
jdoo wrote: Matrix-12 is (yet another) Arturia synth, with marginal sounds and destined to have limited to no support.
Don't be a jerk
I was expressing my opinion, as an owner of both synths and an Arturia customer for several years. I should have worded it differently though, if it offended you. :roll: How about this? To my ears, Arturia Matrix 12 doesn't sound nearly as good as Falcon. In fact, to me - it sounds like many of the other Arturia synth emulations (poor). Further, Arturia seems to drop support for many of their products after the initial sales / releases.

If you're a Matrix lover.. great. I plopped down my upgrade money a few months ago (I think it cost ~ $84, as I have several other Arturia products). I immediately regretted it.

jdoo wrote:
fmr wrote:
Don't be a jerk
I was expressing my opinion, as an owner of both synths and an Arturia customer for several years. I should have worded it differently though, if it offended you. :roll: How about this? To my ears, Arturia Matrix 12 doesn't sound nearly as good as Falcon. In fact, to me - it sounds like many of the other Arturia synth emulations (poor). Further, Arturia seems to drop support for many of their products after the initial sales / releases.

If you're a Matrix lover.. great. I plopped down my upgrade money a few months ago (I think it cost ~ $84, as I have several other Arturia products). I immediately regretted it.
Then why would you keep buying their synths if you think they are poor? You could have just tried the demo versions first.

On a purely utilitarian bent:
UVI allow up to three computers to be authorized to run their libraries.
Arturia allow one. Arturia only allow transfers between computers with a dongle, UVI and iLok is relatively painless.
Long story short, the software eLicenser is a pain, the software iLok is painless.

UVI have the lead on answering emails in my personal experience.

Of course both can be used with a dongle.

Although Arturia may not have 100% nailed the Oberheim sound etc. it's arguable that a plug in is more versatile than a sample library, that's something to think about.

I only own Spark Dubstep and the original Minimoog from Arturia, and when out of town can't use them due to not owning a Steinberg dongle.

machinesworking wrote:On a purely utilitarian bent:
Arturia allow one. Arturia only allow transfers between computers with a dongle, UVI and iLok is relatively painless.
Long story short, the software eLicenser is a pain, the software iLok is painless.

Although Arturia may not have 100% nailed the Oberheim sound etc. it's arguable that a plug in is more versatile than a sample library, that's something to think about.

I only own Spark Dubstep and the original Minimoog from Arturia, and when out of town can't use them due to not owning a Steinberg dongle.
Latest ver of V-collection 4 does not use e-licenser and it's 2 computer auth that you can de-auth yourself. e-licenser been heading out of the door for a while already minus the last couple Spark expansions. No dongle with ASC even if you want one.

Yeah, I think of algorithmic as an attempted emulation of the instrument, and sample-based as an attempted capture of a particular preset/sample-set from the instrument.

Of course, the lines are more and more blurred with hybrid algorithmic processing of samples, but both approaches are valid... as is using the actual instrument.

Maybe as Arturia expands their market, they'll also step up their support.

Still like the Korg Legacy instruments over here, too.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

UVI allow up to three computers to be authorized to run their libraries > TRUE.
NOT TRUE > Arturia allow one. Arturia only allow transfers between computers with a dongle... NOT TRUE.
Long story short>: You have no clue about what you're talking about. Better shut up, and get some information before spreading unfundamented rumours :roll:

Jesus, I can't understand why does Arturia get such a vitriolic attitude towards them. :help:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

softska wrote:

Latest ver of V-collection 4 does not use e-licenser and it's 2 computer auth that you can de-auth yourself. e-licenser been heading out of the door for a while already minus the last couple Spark expansions. No dongle with ASC even if you want one.
With the new Arturia Software Center you got up to 5 (!!) activations.

A link with some details:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/arturiasoft ... are-center

it's easy to use older plugins (that were purchasd with an eLicenser protection) with the new Software Center. They simply have to be registered to your Arturia account (like all plugins you want to use with teh new protection) and then will be available for activation in Arturia Software Center.
For example i got got Prophet V since it was released many years ago and it works nicely with the new protection now. FWIW when i bought it ages ago the box included a free USB eLicenser dongle.

Anyway only newer plugin updates that were released after the introduction of the new Software Center protection are comatible. Older plugin versions are only compatible with the old eLicenser protection. Details about compatibility are found at the link i posted above.

In the Preferences tab at the Software Center you could indeed deactivate licenses for the currently used computer yourself.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

jdoo wrote:
fmr wrote:
Don't be a jerk

As an owner of both synths (and many more), and also an owner of several analogue synths, having worked extensively with the REAL Matrix-12 (admitedly many years ago), and having compared the Jupiter-8V with the REAL Jupiter-8, all I can say is that you don't have a clue about what you are saying, and you are simply spreading bad and totally unjustified words about Arturia. Jupiter-8 is a good emulation, and we can get very good results, when comparing with the original. I still didn't get a chance to access the Matrix-12 I worked with (when in college), but for what I remember, the sound and the spirit are there.

Moog Modular, CS-80, Minimoog, ARP 2600, Prophet-V, all are at version 2.x, are all 64-bit now, and have been updated in a steadily basis. MInimoog was completely revised after the review published by Gordon Reid, where he made extensive A/B comparisons with a real Minimoog, and even found that several portions of the code used in Modular V (namely for the oscillators) was reused. Arturia addressed all those (justified) remarks, to make the software behave closer to a Minimoog, and it admitedly is, as of now. Modular V also got several new modules added in version 2. CS-80 sound also improved a lot since the release of version 2.

Yes, the GUIs desperatly need to be revised (especially the Jupiter-8, the CS-80 and the Modular V, but also the ARP, the Prophet and the Mini), but we were told that Arturia is working on that. Let's wait and see.

Matrix-12, after the original release, where it got several severe critics (including from me), improved noticeably, and is now much better sounding. SEM V was one of the best sounding analogue emulations since it was released, and, like th others, has got updates on a regular basis. So...

Matrix-12 doesn't sound as good as Falcon? It's like saying that the original Matrix-12 didn't sound nearly as good as a Fairlight, or a Synclavier. How can you even compare both? There is basically nothing in common between the two. Not even the filters, because, although Falcon has a filter called Xpander, in fact that filter is NOT the Xpander filter, but a filter "inspired" byt the Xapnder, but vastly expanded with more than twice the number of configurations of the original, and a very diferente sound. And the Xpander/Matrix-12 only have a couple of oscillators, with the common perioding analogue waves, while the Falcon has a lot of different possible configuratios of the pure synthesis oscillators, and only ONE could be compared with that. BUT, the main strenght oif Falcon (IMO) resides in the sampling part, with all the different sampling oscillators, including the two granular - this has NOTHING to do with common synths, and comparing one with the other is comparing apples not just with oranges - with a basket of tropical fuits.

The Vintage Vault (as per the OP), is a library collecting sampled instruments of several synthesizers of the past. Sampling a synth is lke taking a picture of a racing car. It may look beutiful, but it doesn't run. Those libraries have tons of sounds, and are indeed fantastic (I took the advantage of the two coupons I got, as both an owner of Mach Five 3 and the regular Falcon coupon, and an extra special offer, and got it, yet, I am still listening to the sounds, because they are so many).

But none of the libraries would even replace a real synthesizer. Again, completley diferente things.

Back to your first post, either you are simply being unfair or you are intentionally trying to harm Arturia, but you totally lack any reason to support your statements. Not only are they being updated in a regular basis, they also have been improved over the years. If this isn't support, then I don't know what is. And they sound good, as many have testified. You may don't like them - it's your prerrogative. But you can't say anything else.
Fernando (FMR)

Oy Fernando. I seem to have struck a nerve with you. You certainly seem to have a lot of details about the Arturia updates. I am just a user/customer of their stuff for the past few years. In fact, I spent a good deal of my time, helping them debug SEM when it came out (and was blowing up Logic Pro). I only was stating what I thought of Arturia's stuff. Not trying to insult your sensibilities. I certainly am not out to get Arturia. I wish them the best. There are some good folks there, and they have been honest and fair with me.

Someone earlier made a rather salient point about "algorithmic as an attempted emulation of the instrument.." which I agree with. Their instruments (to me), just seem to come up short. Maybe it's the core Arturia algorythms. I don't know. What I do know - is many of their instruments sound the same to me. I hope you're able to find a calm, happy spot to think about all this, without getting puckered up again.
Last edited by jdoo on Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doesn't sound very grown up ...

Today i had the offfers to upgrade to UVI Vintage Vault for around 319 € (i got UVI Falcon and the Mello library) and to upgrade to Arturia V-Collection 4 for 69 € from 4 single Arturia products (most of them bought with a disount/sale). The V-Collection 4 upgrade seemed to be the better offer so i got that one now.
The offer was available in my Arturia account and clikcing on "Buy now" there.
Recently i am more interested in fully programmable synths than in sample libraries so Falcon and the Arturia synths are the better choices for me (not to speak about the HD space need for all those UVI libraries...).

Besides the additional synths Spark 2 alone seems to be worth the upgrade to V-Collection 4 at that price.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

If synthesizers were types of mallets, Arturia synths would be ones made of pillows. They sound that soft.

Vintage Vault doesn't include the new Cameo as far as I can see?

Return to “Instruments”