Shout up to Cthulhu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cthulhu

I test it too, i miss controller sequence and that it can play overlap notes to do legato play and slide. to see what can do with legato play, see this simple example
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=449803

with arps that allow no polyphonic, you can increase gate of a step to 101% or more and then legato is play

Also support for notes that are not transpose is usefull. so it is possible to add notes for keyswitch to switch between staccato, legato, tremolo or so

If this come in cthulhu then i buy. the embed chords are really great in cthulhu, for other arps you need a separate chord tool chordz and ck pattern arp do it ok for me, nora have no controller or keyswitch currently, maybe it come, i only believe what i see working what i need. I buy jamstix 3 last year for low price and jamstix 4 was announced shortly and can get jamstix 4 later. but still not hear, but i am happy with jamstix 3 and even if no 4 come.
So i save my money to buy the perfect arp ;-)
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

Igor Amos wrote:I haven't used the other arps, but the thing I like most about Cthulhu is the "progression templates" (my name) work so incredibly well at coming up with beautiful and useful progression. There are a huge list of templates, a big chunk of which are Bach Chorale progressions. Aside from a well design user interface, I think this is the advantage.

Does Kirnu Cream have any unique functionality that set it apart from the others?
The Chord functions are what I like most about Cthulhu. The Arp part is quite good, but misses some functions I'd like in an arp. There is no step length for example, and its not really polyphonic though you do have one harmony note. You also cannot do repeats (2 or more notes in a step)

Cream has a great feature-set. It has multiple tracks and each track can have its own speed. Each track can also have its midi zone so you can have multiple arps each playing a different pattern in a key zone. It also has a pattern sequencer. The arp has lanes for step length, chords, and step divisions plus the other usual stuff... each lane has its own length. # of steps is 32 which I like more than 16. Cream also has a hold function.

Cream has historically been bit buggy though the latest version seems more solid.

^I've asked Steve for that in the past, grid resolution and repeats but he wasn't interested iirc. His respons to legato was to set the gate full and change the gate length. I'll have to give Nora a try.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Isn't Kirnu releasing Cream on IOS before the end of the year?

pdxindy wrote:The Chord functions are what I like most about Cthulhu. The Arp part is quite good, but misses some functions I'd like in an arp. There is no step length for example,
Not true, you can set the gate overall and per step. Or did I misunderstand what you want?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Hey Steve, if you're reading this Im still waiting for you to get back to me about LFO tool crashing Ableton...FOUR MONTHS AGO!!!

Hey Steve, if you're reading this I'm still waiting for you to get back to me, I'm pregnant....FOUR MONTHS NOW!!!
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

stardustmedia wrote:
pdxindy wrote:The Chord functions are what I like most about Cthulhu. The Arp part is quite good, but misses some functions I'd like in an arp. There is no step length for example,
Not true, you can set the gate overall and per step. Or did I misunderstand what you want?
Gate controls the percentage of the note length relative to step length. Step length controls the actual duration of the step.

So for example, if steps are set to 1/16th notes... a step length of 2 (default is 1) on the 3rd step of a 4 step sequence would look like this:

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/16

A gate value of 200% in the 3rd step of a 4 step sequence would be:

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 and the 3rd note would last until the end of the 4th step.

Okay, so this example, you could do in Cthulhu by making a 5 step sequence like so

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 ... then set the 4th note off and the gate of the 3rd note to 200% However that does not cover dotted notes. With step length one can do:

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 dotted - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 dotted - 1/16

Cthulhu cannot do that because all steps are the same length.

Hey Steve, if you're reading this Im still waiting for you to get back to me about LFO tool crashing Ableton...FOUR MONTHS AGO!!!
I don't really visit KVR much.

Hmm, sorry to hear it, you could have given me a gentle bump, there's been a lot of updates since then, I expect you'll find your problem resolved in v1.6

pdxindy wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:
Gate controls the percentage of the note length relative to step length. Step length controls the actual duration of the step.

So for example, if steps are set to 1/16th notes... a step length of 2 (default is 1) on the 3rd step of a 4 step sequence would look like this:

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/16

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 and the 3rd note would last until the end of the 4th step.

Okay, so this example, you could do in Cthulhu by making a 5 step sequence like so

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 - 1/16 ... then set the 4th note off and the gate of the 3rd note to 200% However that does not cover dotted notes. With step length one can do:

Ok, now I understand it. Thanks for the clarification.

ok just so i understand something.. can you write one chord yourself, the initial chord, and can cthulu then make intelligent progressions for subsequent chords like cubase chord track can?

TheoM wrote:ok just so i understand something.. can you write one chord yourself, the initial chord, and can cthulu then make intelligent progressions for subsequent chords like cubase chord track can?
No, it won't give you suggestions. You have to play thru and listen to them yourself.

stardustmedia wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
stardustmedia wrote:

1/16 - 1/16 - 1/8 - 1/16

Ok, now I understand it. Thanks for the clarification.
The only what is possible and do not stand in manual is when press alt key and click over middle in a step. then a arrow right is show in this step and the previous note is play at gate 200%
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

stardustmedia wrote:
TheoM wrote:ok just so i understand something.. can you write one chord yourself, the initial chord, and can cthulu then make intelligent progressions for subsequent chords like cubase chord track can?
No, it won't give you suggestions. You have to play thru and listen to them yourself.
You can record into it though so could use something like J74 Progressive but i haven't tried it.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

I have never had any setup or operation problems with either cthulhu or cream in FL (Patcher) and Sonar (yes, f**king Sonar aka routing hell on earth), so, not sure what that's about. What's supposed to be buggy (in cream), just curious?

What cream has that cthulhu doesn't: 4 tracks in a single instance, a polyphonic sequencer, an integrated step sequencer that send CC, and an integrated pattern sequencer.

Vice versa: cthulhu has more arp base patterns, and the bach chorales.

edit- oh, apparently I skipped a page, sorry for redundant post.

Return to “Instruments”