Arturia Synth Collection vs. Diva Tal U-NO etc.? sound, gui etc.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shouldnt Diva be capable of Most features/Sounds of the arturia synths?

Just Demo es some plugins again. The vast Number of presets is tempting!!!

But then i started my Diva and bamm. What an awesome sound. I am sadly no Sound Designer and dunno how to re-create a lot of the presets from arturia.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I'm telling you, the full V4 Collection for $167 at JRR is, well, a no-brainer.

Caine123 wrote: Shouldnt Diva be capable of Most features/Sounds of the arturia synths?
In a word... NO! DIVA has modules from the Júpiter-8, Jupiter-6, Minimoog, MS-10/MS-20, and now the oscillators of JP-8000 and the filter from SEM.

Do the math: Moog Modular: None; Yamaha CS-80: None; Prophet-5/Prophet VS: None; Oberheim Matrix-12: None. ARP Solina: None: ARP 2600: None. Oberheim SEM: just the filter.
Caine123 wrote: Just Demo es some plugins again. The vast Number of presets is tempting!!!

But then i started my Diva and bamm. What an awesome sound. I am sadly no Sound Designer and dunno how to re-create a lot of the presets from arturia.
Completely agree regarding the sound. But that doesn't mean anything regarding your first statement. I repeat something that I already said countles times, and even Urs stated: DIVA is not meant to emulate ANY synth in particular. It was born from an atempt to recreate the Minimoog for Hans Zimmer, and Urs had the idea to also recreate the main modules from the Jupiters, the Junos and the Korg MS-10/MS-20, because these are synths he particularly likes. However, the main innovation of DIVA (and the biggest reason I was so enthusiastic about it since the first moment) is the mix'n match feature. I particularly love the fact that I can create a sound using the Juno-60 configuration, and then replace the oscillators by the Minimoog and instantly have a sound that is similar but sounds different, and allows me to proceeed from it.

However, to have that feature, Urs could not concentrate in emulating any synth in particular (nor was he even interested in doing it, for that matter). That's why, to obtain a particular sound from a synth, even the Minimoog (which is perhaps the closest DIVA is), you have to make parameter adaptations.

Of course you can recreate many analogue sounds from several synths of the past with DIVA, but that is also true for many other synths (including OTHER analogues). Many sounds don't call any specific feature in particular, therefore, any synth that has the more common modules, like oscillators, low-pass filter, envelopes and LFOs can recreate those sounds, with more or less accuracy (but accurate enough to play with them, and sound convincing in a mix).
Fernando (FMR)

I think that even though Diva, Oxium etc. may not be precise emulations of anything specific, one can compensate for that by clever sound design. So, if one is after the best sound quality and has a computer that supports those hogs, I think one should go for those.

If for whatever reason one needs or wants a 1:1 emulation, Arturia seems good enough. Especially if one uses the extra features Arturia tend to add.

For those not willing to program sounds themselves, presets might be important. That is where some synths that might not use the latest filter technology can outshine Diva etc. For me as a wannabe musician with a mediocre computer Arturia or the OP-X would be the natural choice if I just wanted to turn on the computer and make old-skool music.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think that even though Diva, Oxium etc. may not be precise emulations of anything specific, one can compensate for that by clever sound design. So, if one is after the best sound quality and has a computer that supports those hogs, I think one should go for those.

If for whatever reason one needs or wants a 1:1 emulation, Arturia seems good enough. Especially if one uses the extra features Arturia tend to add.

For those not willing to program sounds themselves, presets might be important. That is where some synths that might not use the latest filter technology can outshine Diva etc. For me as a wannabe musician with a mediocre computer Arturia or the OP-X would be the natural choice if I just wanted to turn on the computer and make old-skool music.

Yeah, I agree. As much as I rant about filter quality, I should probably make clear that I do use the Arturia plugs sometimes and I often just prefer the presets when I do. First, if I were going to program them then I'd have to deal with the guis and, second, as soon as I started I'd start thinking that I'd prefer to be using some other synth that had better filters.

That said, I don't think that, in general, that I get much out of them that I couldn't get out of other things. It's more about just pulling up something different and enjoying it for the experience of playing a different instrument. I did an entire "track" yesterday with just Arturia plugs, Absynth, and AltoCM, i.e., no synth with stellar filters was used. All presets with only minor adjustments. Of course, it was all bathed in some SpaceMaster reverb which helps to wash away some of those nasty edges :)

I just bought the collection. Matrix 12 somehow is full with presets inspiring me ;). If i learn some Day more Diva i can still sell the collection. Only paid $167 for how many plugs? 12 or so.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Good for you! Have fun.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Caine123 wrote:I just bought the collection. Matrix 12 somehow is full with presets inspiring me ;). If i learn some Day more Diva i can still sell the collection. Only paid $167 for how many plugs? 12 or so.
Frankly, I would feel a bit pissed if I had bought one or two Arturia plugins at the regular price. That kind of extreme sale is a slap in the face of existing customers...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Caine123 wrote:I just bought the collection. Matrix 12 somehow is full with presets inspiring me ;). If i learn some Day more Diva i can still sell the collection. Only paid $167 for how many plugs? 12 or so.
Frankly, I would feel a bit pissed if I had bought one or two Arturia plugins at the regular price. That kind of extreme sale is a slap in the face of existing customers...
Buying one isn't that much different than buying them all. They sound so similar, it's like getting new skins. ;) Slightly different filter response and modulation options too, but the basic sound is so similar with every new synth.

Really? :D
Well, it is the same developers using the same emulation technology, so I suppose the outcome will indeed be more similar than that between a hardware Oberheim and Jupiter, although even many hardware synthesizers by different manufacturers used the same components inside to a certain extent.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Buying one isn't that much different than buying them all. They sound so similar, it's like getting new skins. ;) Slightly different filter response and modulation options too, but the basic sound is so similar with every new synth.
Really? :roll: So, using the Mini V is about the same as using the Prophet V or the Matrix-12 V? Or the Solina, the Vox, the Wurlitzer? :dog:

I think it's about time you get your ears examined. :borg: (at least, you can differentiate the "skins", which means your glasses are working) :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Buying one isn't that much different than buying them all. They sound so similar, it's like getting new skins. ;) Slightly different filter response and modulation options too, but the basic sound is so similar with every new synth.
Hmm... I think there is of course something like a "signature sound" because the guys are not reinventing the wheel with every new plugin. So some basic algorithms for filters etc. will share same ideas.
Would be interesting to compare different Arturia synth with a similar programmed sound if people could hear a difference or better - pick the right synth ;)

4damind wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:Buying one isn't that much different than buying them all. They sound so similar, it's like getting new skins. ;) Slightly different filter response and modulation options too, but the basic sound is so similar with every new synth.
Hmm... I think there is of course something like a "signature sound" because the guys are not reinventing the wheel with every new plugin. So some basic algorithms for filters etc. will share same ideas.
Would be interesting to compare different Arturia synth with a similar programmed sound if people could hear a difference or better - pick the right synth ;)
That's something I could do, if I were in a period with less things to do. Something similar to the famous Jump patch, which is basically naked saws, could be a good candidate. It's not difficult to program, but I'm almost sure differences will be revealed easily. I will try to come up with something when I have the time (to show the next time this argument will appear :hihi:)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:That's something I could do
Deal :P

fmr wrote:
4damind wrote:
That's something I could do, if I were in a period with less things to do. Something similar to the famous Jump patch, which is basically naked saws, could be a good candidate. It's not difficult to program, but I'm almost sure differences will be revealed easily. I will try to come up with something when I have the time (to show the next time this argument will appear :hihi:)
Fewer things, we say fewer things ;)

Oh, but jump, does that even qualify as a "patch", seems somewhat elevated to call it that?

Return to “Instruments”