1176 compressor emulation -- IKMultimedia Black 76 vs Stilwell's Rocket?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

depends, do you want features or bang on 1176 emu?

IK is more authentic in behaviour/sound

Rocket is permanently inexpensive and great fun.

but i would just bite the bullet and buy softube FET if i was looking at rocket TBH, it does everything it does but better.

TheoM wrote:depends, do you want features or bang on 1176 emu?

but i would just bite the bullet and buy softube FET if i was looking at rocket TBH, it does everything it does but better.
Does the Softube have oversampling?
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:
TheoM wrote:depends, do you want features or bang on 1176 emu?

Does the Softube have oversampling?
of course, but not at 96k. only at 44/48 (hence a few samples latency - like under a ms)

It also has a low pass not just a high pass, and adjustable lookahead, a proper input stage, and a fully variable ratio from 1:1 to all mode and everything in between (of course you can snap to the hardware settings).

the softube FET is my favourite plugin compressor of all time in native land. It's just epicly awesome in every way, and is bang on to the particular hardware softube modelled.

Thanks. Pricey though.. Probably why I haven't demoed it.. I am sure it's great (I like the NI/softube plugins a lot).
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Thanks. Pricey though.. Probably why I haven't demoed it.. I am sure it's great (I like the NI/softube plugins a lot).

it's often been on specials at resellers for under 100, i think you just missed the latest special. Have seen it in MP for $85.. if you wait till BF you will probably be very happy :)

I don't take the stillwell as an actual 1176 emu but rather a fun character compressor.. his transient designer doesn't even sound maybe 20% like the hardware, his reverb i have disliked from day one as many know, but i was sort of impressed with the rocket - the thing is, he has proven the inability to model hardware that inspired his plugins, OR - he is actually not TRYING to model them and is using them purely for inspiration.

Do do you want rocket as you simply like what it does or do you want a bang on 1176 emu? Try head to head against the IK demo whilst it's on sale(i think cheaper than the rocket from resellers) and see how close it is to the hardware vs the rocket - but minus the extra features.

TheoM wrote:
pheeleep wrote:Thanks. Pricey though.. Probably why I haven't demoed it.. I am sure it's great (I like the NI/softube plugins a lot).

it's often been on specials at resellers for under 100, i think you just missed the latest special. Have seen it in MP for $85.. if you wait till BF you will probably be very happy :)

I don't take the stillwell as an actual 1176 emu but rather a fun character compressor.. his transient designer doesn't even sound maybe 20% like the hardware, his reverb i have disliked from day one as many know, but i was sort of impressed with the rocket - the thing is, he has proven the inability to model hardware that inspired his plugins, OR - he is actually not TRYING to model them and is using them purely for inspiration.

Do do you want rocket as you simply like what it does or do you want a bang on 1176 emu? Try head to head against the IK demo whilst it's on sale(i think cheaper than the rocket from resellers) and see how close it is to the hardware vs the rocket - but minus the extra features.
I'm not the OP :) I already have the Rocket, the IK 1176 and the NI 1176 :) And the Rocket is my favorite (even if it is a Frankenstein 1176).
Play it by ear

that just means you prefer the sound of the rocket to an authentic hardware 1176, which is fully ok of course! sorry but i have no clue what a frankenstein 1176 is. Cheers

Hmm...we always make this mistake...first ask if one VST compares to the Original Hardware
and then ask which one is better...The Rocket vs the IK1176 have nothing to do with each other.
You have to ask the question of, do you want an 76 Emulation or just something that works
that way...the Rocket neither looks like an 1176 nor it sounds like one. On the other hand
the IK looks like one...sounds somewhere there...e tc...its Apples and Oranges.
First you have to decide what you need...a good Compressor or something that looks like something else.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:Hmm...we always make this mistake...first ask if one VST compares to the Original Hardware
and then ask which one is better...The Rocket vs the IK1176 have nothing to do with each other.
You have to ask the question of, do you want an 76 Emulation or just something that works
that way...the Rocket neither looks like an 1176 nor it sounds like one. On the other hand
the IK looks like one...sounds somewhere there...e tc...its Apples and Oranges.
First you have to decide what you need...a good Compressor or something that looks like something else.

thank you, you said it better than i ever could! Why can't i ever write so eloquently.

The IK is definitely much closer though.. for native it is probably the closest "pure" emulation..

The new UAD update is bang on to hardware i have personally used.

The rocket is a great one but nothing comes close to me then the cla76. They just sound AMAZING to me.

I actually like IK76 and Slate's from VMR the best. I am talking about 1176, not the Rocket.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

lingyai wrote:In a lot of tutorials I'm going through I see 1176 emulations frequently used. I'm looking for one on the cheap. I have been demoing the Rocket (which I've read -- correct me if I'm wrong -- is indeed a 1176 emulation), which seems to behave the way the UAD 1176 emulations in the tutorials do, and sounds good to my ears. (The Rocket does seem to lack the "all buttons-in" or "nuke" setting, but I can live without that.) How does the IKM unit compare? Is it a "truer" version of the 1176? It's currently on sale for $50 at AudioDeluxe.
I own several of the 1176 emulations.
The IKMultimedia Black 76 really has some nice qualities.
Particularly, it has a ton of presence and punch.
One thing to keep in mind with it is the output volume.
It can run a bit on the hot side.

Gracias, PatchAdams!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

here is a shootout with a hardware 1176 clone and software(including the ik 1176)
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:here is a shootout with a hardware 1176 clone and software(including the ik 1176)
???

Return to “Effects”