Decompiling my own .dll

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I make plugins with Maize Sampler and soon I'll make plugin with other non-programmers softwares (FlowStone/SE/SonicBirth). Would it be possible to decompile my own Maize Sampler plugins? I've tried different free decompilers on the net and nothing worked so far.

Otherwise, is there a way to look inside a compile plugin (my own plugin of course)? I'll like to ad some dsp processing to my Maize made plugins.

Any hints?

Thanks!

I use objdump (included with MinGW toolchain). I doubt it would be easy to add code after compilation. This is decompilation to assembly language.

I think the only decompilation you can achieve is to assembly and then you need to figure out everything if you don't have the compialtion symbols. And even then, it's not an easy task to add code without breaking the old one.

Miles1981 wrote:I think the only decompilation you can achieve is to assembly and then you need to figure out everything if you don't have the compialtion symbols. And even then, it's not an easy task to add code without breaking the old one.
I thought about doing it within the JUCE Framework. It probably ain't going to work, but it's worth a try.

That won't change the fact that you won't get the corrsponding C/C++ code, so no label, just number for jumps and so quite complex to inject new functionalities. The fact that you already have plugins makes the JUCE framework irrelevant here.

If you don't already know how to program, trying to hack up decompiled assembly is going to be totally impossible. You'll find it MUCH faster to just learn to program C++ than trying to shoehorn an entire DSP code base into machine code. It really can't be overstated how absolutely awful, tedious, frustrating, and miserable trying to hack together a VST from decompiled assembly code would be.

Your only realistic options are A) Accept and work within the restrictions that visual plugin builders like Maize have, or B) Learn to program, pick up JUCE, write real plugins that do whatever you want!

Decompiled code is quite impossible to decipher unless you wrote the code itself and/or you are an experienced hacker (very expert about machine language)
It is like climbing k2 instead of walking.

Thanks guys! I was hoping to find a shortcut and it seems that JUCE is the way to go. I already know how to program in C, I'm just very slow for the moment and still has a lot to learn. Luckily, I have a lot of time to learn.

If you are planning on looking at and/or modifying disassembly, especially if you are planning on distributing the modified version, I would strongly recommend looking over your license agreement with a lawyer. In most cases, modifying or reverse engineering binaries is going to violate the license of the software.

logicalhippo wrote:If you are planning on looking at and/or modifying disassembly, especially if you are planning on distributing the modified version, I would strongly recommend looking over your license agreement with a lawyer. In most cases, modifying or reverse engineering binaries is going to violate the license of the software.
I've already talked about this with Maize Sampler dev and there is no problem if I pay him a small fee. Thanks for the info though, most people wouldn't have known about this! :tu:

I'm going to lock the thread as I now have the answer to my question.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”