This explains a lot about Cakewalk/Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR

Hey now, come on guys, ye old SONAR is pretty cool, ain't it? :hihi:

Heh heh, I can appreciate the various views here and I dig the back & forth, but you know, every DAW will have this or that issue...

Okay, so I just upgraded to Platinum with the latest deal they offered...well, they are quite the All American marketers, huh? I think so!

Consider why I upgraded:

Full version of Addictive Drums with 3 AD packs and 2 Midi packs. That is quite cool. I mean really, very generous.

The Pro Channel. I have wanted it for quite awhile.

2 beautiful reverbs from Overloud.

I'll likely use Dimension Pro & Rapture. Well, maybe... :lol: Seriously, those are nice synths, eh? Yeah, sure they are older rompler types, but still will sound nice...

The new update model, apparently resulting in various improvements, especially stability.

Hey, I have found SONAR to be flaky at times as well, but I still like alot about it. Cakewalk is a pleasant company and they are listening to users, pretty sure. I think it is definitely improving. I'll be using it more for audio & mixing. It seems pretty solid there, I think.

We'll see how cool that Pro Channel is!

My favourite thing so far in Sonar Plat (apart from the AD2 deal) is the Quadcurve Flyout EQ with spec analyser - very easy and quick to use and mix tracks as you go along...I know it was in the old x3 Pro too - but I've only just upgraded from Studio and it was one of the key things for me in that decision...
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

Grizzellda wrote:Hey now, come on guys, ye old SONAR is pretty cool, ain't it? :hihi:
Heh heh, I can appreciate the various views here and I dig the back & forth, but you know, every DAW will have this or that issue...
Okay, so I just upgraded to Platinum with the latest deal they offered...well, they are quite the All American marketers, huh? I think so!
Consider why I upgraded:
Full version of Addictive Drums with 3 AD packs and 2 Midi packs. That is quite cool. I mean really, very generous.
The Pro Channel. I have wanted it for quite awhile.
2 beautiful reverbs from Overloud.
I'll likely use Dimension Pro & Rapture. Well, maybe... :lol: Seriously, those are nice synths, eh? Yeah, sure they are older rompler types, but still will sound nice...
The new update model, apparently resulting in various improvements, especially stability.

Hey, I have found SONAR to be flaky at times as well, but I still like alot about it. Cakewalk is a pleasant company and they are listening to users, pretty sure. I think it is definitely improving. I'll be using it more for audio & mixing. It seems pretty solid there, I think.
We'll see how cool that Pro Channel is!
Much of why I also decided to upgrade from X3e.
The price of XLN AD2 bundle was basically the same as the upgrade. 8)
I would, however, suggest you hold off from installing DimPro/Rapture for the time being. They are good, but Sonar has a way of 'locking things' in your registry I haven't quite figured out. (Changing sample rate can be frustrating and doesn't always respond as support says it does). I've personally decided to shelve both products for now and wait for Rapture Pro to become solid and cheap enough. (Maybe they'll even include it in the next 'subscription' offering?) :shrug:
Another thing is the Overloud reverbs (and TH2) are not the full product and if you install the full product and want to eliminate the entry level ones, Sonar seems to frown on that and installs them back with every new update on the DAW. The old system let you pick and choose every single plugin. The new Command Center, installs in groups and can add a bit of unnecessary bloat.
Pro-Channel? :tu: :love:
All in all though, I am happier with Platinum than the previous releases. Updates are far more consistent as is the GUI flow from one to the next.

BBFG# wrote: Another thing is the Overloud reverbs (and TH2) are not the full product and if you install the full product and want to eliminate the entry level ones, Sonar seems to frown on that and installs them back with every new update on the DAW....
Good to know - I don't own the better versions of either so have never run across it. Odd that they do that, when they offer separate installers for Melodyne and Addictive Drums. Oh well, I'm sure it's on their "to do" list.

Hope they fix it by end of year, when I will no doubt be cruelly coerced by Black Friday sales into upgrading to the flagship versions. :wink:

BBFG# wrote:I would, however, suggest you hold off from installing DimPro/Rapture for the time being.
Thanks for the advice! :hihi: Believe me, I've read on the forums about folks having issues with both of these. Maybe that's why I said "maybe"... :lol: :D :lol: :D
BBFG# wrote:Another thing is the Overloud reverbs (and TH2) are not the full product and if you install the full product and want to eliminate the entry level ones, Sonar seems to frown on that and installs them back with every new update on the DAW.
Interesting... it is likely that they only work in SONAR, that might be why!
excessional wrote:My favourite thing so far in Sonar Plat (apart from the AD2 deal) is the Quadcurve Flyout EQ
Righteous! Should be fabulous for mixing!

Sure SONAR has quirks, all the DAWs do, but it is a pretty solid value all around, I think.

BBFG# wrote: I would, however, suggest you hold off from installing DimPro/Rapture for the time being. They are good, but Sonar has a way of 'locking things' in your registry I haven't quite figured out.
I have had DP for more than 10 years, and upgraded from Sonar 4->8.5, then to X3 and all updates this year on Sonar - never had it touch DP install.

All these upgrades have DimLE as an option - but I think I just deselected something in installer at some time.

But remember at Cakewalk forum people had trouble if also installing DP when already having that separately - something with you had to replace serial numbers with the one that came with new install or something. If it was a different authorizing scheme with older serials.

Look for custom install options.

arkmabat wrote:This thread is tearing Sonar to pieces. X3 works fine for me. Only issue I had was exporting *.mp3 straight to desktop doesn't/didn't work. Any other folder was fine lol. They took three months to get back to me on that and still had no answer for me.

X3e has the supposedly fixed disappearing-now-line bug making it unusable for longer than a few minutes. I've got all the latest drivers yada yada yada ...That and the fact that I need notation made me switch to Cubase for all new projects about a year ago. I found Cubase to be FAR more powerful and FAR more stable.

The Style Dials clearly illustrate my point.

vintagevibe wrote:The Style Dials clearly illustrate my point.
I guess Waves is not "pro" enough for you, either:

http://www.waves.com/search#gsc.q=Oneknob

:roll:

There is something about Sonar haters that makes me think of bitter ex-husbands, they seem unable to let go. Meanwhile, some of us just don't marry (it's just a DAW, Jesus!!), see others and have fun with the best of each. :hug:

JoseC. wrote:

:roll:

There is something about Sonar haters that makes me think of bitter ex-husbands, they seem unable to let go. Meanwhile, some of us just don't marry (it's just a DAW, Jesus!!), see others and have fun with the best of each. :hug:
And there are Sonar Fanbois who will not admit that sometimes, software can go awry...that is why they have bugfixes...unless, of course, to you those bugfixes are only to make other customers think they have been fixed... :hug:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

JoseC. wrote:

That is Waves marketing to hobbyists. And no, they are not "pro".

vintagevibe wrote:That is Waves marketing to hobbyists. And no, they are not "pro".
True. Thanks to Waves' access to the NSA database, they disable themselves if it is detected that anyone making any income from any part of the audio industry is using them.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
vintagevibe wrote:That is Waves marketing to hobbyists. And no, they are not "pro".
True. Thanks to Waves' access to the NSA database, they disable themselves if it is detected that anyone making any income from any part of the audio industry is using them.

I know it's scary isn't it?

vespesian wrote:
vintagevibe wrote: Don't worry, others will always be there to insult and attack you. It's the new Cakewalk! It's just what they do.
I think it's clear that, between Mr. A's messianic lectures-to-oblivion and that "Dr." who clearly suffers from some hitherto undiagnosed personality disorder, the forums are now just as bad or actually worse than they were before, TBH.

+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

lingyai wrote:
vespesian wrote:
vintagevibe wrote: Don't worry, others will always be there to insult and attack you. It's the new Cakewalk! It's just what they do.
I think it's clear that, between Mr. A's messianic lectures-to-oblivion and that "Dr." who clearly suffers from some hitherto undiagnosed personality disorder, the forums are now just as bad or actually worse than they were before, TBH.

+1
+2
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”