Which DAW for EDM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ableton Live with the PXT scripts (http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT_Series.html, especially PXT-Live Plus ) can do very nice things with Push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZf30Mgtt8

Push has a Lemur emulation too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEzBc1YB8Y

not sure that FL IL-Remote can do same things (aftertouch, velocity sensitivity etc. ofc. Lemur also can't do these ones)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVJGfXzbeX8

--

AL has better ReWire(two-ways) support
Last edited by xbitz on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Cimbasso wrote:
+1

Ableton Live and FL Studio would be logical choices for EDM.

^^^^ This

When I think of EDM I tend to think of those two DAWs. Certainly if you want to browse for youtube vids etc. on making EDM in a DAW you will find more resources for those two than any other...

Not to say you can't make EDM with any modern DAW if you want to of course. I mean if you've been using Sonar for 8 years and now want to get into EDM there there would be no reason to switch DAWs - best stick to the DAW you know inside and out - but that's not how I read OP's post...
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

xbitz wrote:Ableton Live with m4l and with Push
The same here, it fit my logic and workflow.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

worth to mention the other nativeKONTROL script ClyphX too which is a clip based(can be triggered by activating clips) MIDI remote script, different DAW actions can be assigned/triggered with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyFNRjn7KI

not sure that any other DAW has same possibility, great tool anyway

If i were asked to help somebody to pick up a DAW for EDM i would suggest daws in this order:

-Studio One
-Ableton/FL Studio
-Logic/Cubase

and so on...

But at the end depends on which daw you feel more comfortable with, really. All those daw have great features to work with.

From my point of view i chose Studio One over other daws because it's fast to work with, PDC is great, Workflow is fast, if you are using tons of processing freeze is great, musicloop are nice again if you work a lot with synths, Browser is solid even on external HDD, shortkey and macro commands are nice to setup. I would suggest atleast to try the demo of S1.

excessional wrote: I mean if you've been using Sonar for 8 years and now want to get into EDM there there would be no reason to switch DAWs - best stick to the DAW you know inside and out - but that's not how I read OP's post...
In this specific case, there would be the following reasons to switch: sonar's piano roll is lame, and sonar's automation simply sucks ass. I'm very well versed in Sonar (which remains to me a superior daw within the realm of plain audio recording and editing), used it as my main daw for 10 years, and getting FL earlier this year for my more electronic experiments has been incredibly liberating. It's vastly superior.

qtheerearranger wrote:
Doug1978 wrote:TBH, I'm not sure if any DAW will do EDM.

But from my own experiences:

Techno (underground, overground and wombling free) = Ableton.
Minimal = Bitwig.
Trance = Reaper.
House = Reason.
DnB = Fruity Loops.

I've heard that Dubstep = Logic, but I can't prove that as I don't have a Mac.
First this person is either trolling or just on something that makes him feel some type of way.

Second, Demo the software to try before you buy.

My advice, dont worry about lack of content on youtube about your DAW specifically, most things translate from DAW to DAW and when they dont theres forums to get people to connect the dots for you. There are several strong DAWs for EDM imo and they are: Ableton, Bitwig, Cubase, Logic Pro X, and Studio One 3. Each of these daws have powerful edm tools that are unique to their daw. For instance, Cubase has an amazing piano roll and a chord builder that is so advanced it is truly incredible, Studio One 3 with its abundance of keyboard shortcuts (if your a pc gamer, this is your DAW im telling you) while having internal track splitting routing. Bitwig also has internal track splitting routing and so does Ableton, however, Studio One and Bitwig allow you to easily adjust the bands.

For me personally, Studio One was the best way to go. I produce progressive house and it is beyond ready to take on loads of audio and midi tracks with tons of processing with track transform to save that cpu.

:dog:

You really don't do irony, or plain common sense, do you?

(Or maybe you're ''just on something'' qtheerearranger, to use your own phrase)

And how could a reference to this infamous kids cartoon not give you a clue??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQMMPFtoG4

Any DAW will allow you to make EDM, as some of the smarter people in this forum have already stated.

It's a music genre.
How could a music genre ever be DAW specific???

:roll:
Last edited by Doug1978 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Any of the big Five (in no particular order).

Cubase.
Logic.
Ableton.
Studio one.
Bitwig.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Doug1978 wrote: Any DAW will allow you to make EDM, as some of the smarter people in this forum have already stated.

It's a music genre.

replace the word specif with focused :) even a sampler can be EDM focused, Phalanx for ex.

http://www.musictech.net/2013/08/phalanx-review/

Doug1978 wrote:Any DAW will allow you to make EDM, as some of the smarter people in this forum have already stated.

It's a music genre.

And if the circumstances of your music making requires notation? Some DAW's have it and some do not.

And if you are recording bands and doing various takes and using outboard gear, the tools that will assist you will tend to be different that if you are sitting by yourself in your home studio inputting notes via mouse and doing lots of midi editing which will again be different to scoring a movie. Some DAW's are better suited to certain tasks than others.

pdxindy wrote:certain tasks
Define EDM. :roll: With full certainty. :hihi:

scintillator wrote:
pdxindy wrote:certain tasks
Define EDM. :roll: With full certainty. :hihi:
well... it is electronic and it is dance music :ud:

The OP needs a zip-a-dee-doo-dah DAW. I'm quite sure 8)

pdxindy wrote:
Doug1978 wrote:Any DAW will allow you to make EDM, as some of the smarter people in this forum have already stated.

It's a music genre.

And if the circumstances of your music making requires notation? Some DAW's have it and some do not.

And if you are recording bands and doing various takes and using outboard gear, the tools that will assist you will tend to be different that if you are sitting by yourself in your home studio inputting notes via mouse and doing lots of midi editing which will again be different to scoring a movie. Some DAW's are better suited to certain tasks than others.
You make a good point pdxindy.

But this is also a good point: where is the OP after his opening post?
Which led me to believe that this was just supposed to be a 'funny' thread.
Hence my 'funny' reply.
And then the curiousness of being called a troll for making a clear joke...

Of course, it might have been a serious thread - and your answer is fine for a serious thread.
But I (still) don't think that was the case.

Particular topics - eg, EDM, Rebecca Black, Justin Bieber etc - are well-known to be created for their joke tendencies.
Maybe I'm too cynical.

On a different note, your musings soundset is wonderful.
And I used one of its bassline sounds in a remix which my (former) school students loved, so cheers.

you could probably make drum beatz in hammerhead, then just load those wavs into a daw.. and boom

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”