Disto released! (Distressor & Fatso in 1)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks, zeep. Is the 3770k a Sandy or Ivy? I'm so not into this numbers game anymore.

It's just pure curiosity if the Sknote code improved in terms of CPU cycles (doesn't look like it currently). And to be honest, GTS-39 was also rumored to be improved in terms of CPU load throughout the years, and it never really happened. Would be surprising if the load is suddenly cut in half with more recent plugin versions.

It's not like that there are technical comrpessors or similar compressor concepts on the market with only a fraction of the load (and a demo without jumping hoops). So yeah... :shrug:

Curiosity killed the cat.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

producer7 wrote:
quintosardo wrote:Use email if you want!
Im not sure what that means? Pretty vague.
Sorry producer7, I meant if you write to my email I can help, it is impossible from here because I don't have the data needed to check online.

quintosardo at yahoo dot it

shadowdancerbnr wrote:
e@rs wrote:How's the CPU usage? Any latency?
Around 4 samples of latency, CPU about 15% of a single core on my 2012 i7 MBP.
Thanx. Guess it's not for me, way too much CPU.

quintosardo wrote:
producer7 wrote:
quintosardo wrote:Use email if you want!
Im not sure what that means? Pretty vague.
Sorry producer7, I meant if you write to my email I can help, it is impossible from here because I don't have the data needed to check online.

quintosardo at yahoo dot it

Thanks...i know you have your hands full. Will give it a spin.

I'm able to use about 4-5 instances max of Disto before all hell breaks loose with my CPU/DAW... but boy is it worth it!

I can run 34 instances in Mid/Side mode (the most CPU heavy mode) @128 samples latency on my i5 before the CPU starts crapping out - that's with a browser running in the Background...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:I can run 34 instances in Mid/Side mode (the most CPU heavy mode) @128 samples latency on my i5 before the CPU starts crapping out - that's with a browser running in the Background...
34? Could there be something that wrong in Disto's coding, optimization-wise, because on my i7 3770k 3.5GHz i can't use that many. One instance takes about 25% cpu. 32bit vst.

Right - I have a 4670k, so yours is stronger than mine. Something is VERY wrong.

I was using the 64bit version and am at work right now, but when I get home I'll try the 32bit version to see if it's significantly different on my machine.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:I was using the 64bit version and am at work right now, but when I get home I'll try the 32bit version to see if it's significantly different on my machine.
Yes please try that, it will be interesting to know if there's a difference.
By the way my host is Live 8 and Live 9.

I have an i7 too and running the 32bit on Reaper...

jens wrote:I can run 34 instances in Mid/Side mode (the most CPU heavy mode) @128 samples latency on my i5 before the CPU starts crapping out - that's with a browser running in the Background...
Cubase 8 Pro starts faltering with only 2 or 3 instances @1024 samples on my 2.3GHz i7 rMBP!

zeep wrote:
jens wrote:I was using the 64bit version and am at work right now, but when I get home I'll try the 32bit version to see if it's significantly different on my machine.
31 instances here... so far I only tried it within Reaper though. Now I wonder if it's a host specific issue.

jens wrote:
zeep wrote:
31 instances here... so far I only tried it within Reaper though. Now I wonder if it's a host specific issue.
Hi Jens, I strongly believe so, Reapers performance is outstanding.

While Disto shows 20-25% i.e. on S1, Reaper is at 5-7%
(just to show the relativity no matter the cpu),
saw this on many Vsti`s as well.

I would vouch for some sort of an Eco Mode switch if technically possible,
something like low cpu on tracking and best when switched or when printing.

I undertsand it`s not Quinto`s concern if dev of hosts don`t do their homework,
but the idea of switchable low cpu profiles came to my mind since last 1-2 years,
especially UAD cards when housekeeping is requested.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Oh, yes, it matters a lot! It isn't good at all if you cannot use it.

Did you see if the load is the same while the song is playing? If it is worse when the song is stopped it may be the usual "denormal" issue, too low levels send CPU crazy.

Omkar wrote:While Disto shows 20-25% i.e. on S1, Reaper is at 5-7%
Those differences are huge, between 3 and 4 times as fast (light on CPU) compared to other hosts.

I hope Quinto can make Disto more CPU efficient in other hosts as well. It's not that Live 9 is ancient. Anyway, i can't think of any other plugin that i work with, that takes 25% CPU in one instance.

*Edit* This working load i experience is disregarding the denormalize issue. So with Hottitude at i.e. 2.

Return to “Effects”