News from fxpansion >GEIST 2<

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Geist

jsp1979 wrote:
Honestly, that pic looks like a mess. It looks like a design I would come up with...and that's far from a compliment.
Geist is one of my favourite plugins ever, but this looks like a horrible mess. I dearly hope that this is not the end result. This MUST be a fake.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

sugo wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:Shouldn't this topic be posted under the 'Instruments' Section of the forum ?

Maybe a moderator can move it.
Why?
I put em here, because its a sequenzer!
Every synth with a sequencer is a Host? belongs in Instruments with all thre other Geist posts,

Man, that is a f**king hideous GUI.

GUI is half empty and half cluttered. Most bizarre GUI I've ever seen in that aspect.

I am not interested in a beautiful gui, but what bothers me most are those tiny knobs like s1,s2 in the mixer page and additionally the whole gui looks cluttered as well. Actually in Geistv1 and Dcam Synth Squad there are those tiny things as well, i don't know why fxpansion often puts so much effort into possibilites of a plugin and on the other side neglects gui and , whats even worse, the updates.

You should have seen the first skins of Strobe 2. Equally hideous.
I´m sure the finished version of Geist2 will be beautiful.

I just hope that it will be scaleable by mousedrag and Mac Retina optimized.

samsam wrote:
sugo wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:Shouldn't this topic be posted under the 'Instruments' Section of the forum ?

Maybe a moderator can move it.
Why?
I put em here, because its a sequenzer!
Every synth with a sequencer is a Host? belongs in Instruments with all thre other Geist posts,

Man, that is a f**king hideous GUI.
Anyway :D
Last edited by sugo on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was Große tun, beschwatzen gern die Kleinen.

i'm surprised at all the GUI hate here, i think it looks great
guess i must be one of those terrible fxpansion fanboys i keep reading about

Oh look, thread's turned up in the instruments section. That'll confuse people, what with Geist being best known as a sequencer-cum-audio editor.

Love the new minimalist look they are shooting for but it's too busy. There is too much on the screen to have to shift through. Only what you are working on should be in the window. Tuck all those tabs and windows you are not working on out of sight, but they still have to be easy to get too. Maybe on a second page. Somehow you need to be able to grab what you want to work on and bring it into the workspace with out all the rest of the clutter. That's the problem. When I choose an engine or pad or parameter or what ever it is I want to work on, the rest of that clutter has to go away somewhere where I can just come and go through workspaces as I please. It's too cluttered...and then to have that minimal approach with all that clutter on screen feels forced. Maybe when you choose what you are working on it blows up into fullscreen and then you can send it back and forth through workspaces if that makes sense. I'm no expert, just giving what I would like to see in version 2.

So so about the GUI. But far more important as far as I'm concerned, what are the expected new features?

transmod.

These is the GUI every drum machine should have (imho) ;-)

12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

deastman wrote:I'm going to withhold judgment until this is released. I never really ended up getting much use out of Geist 1. I bought Ableton Live shortly after buying Geist, and it has a good enough native workflow that I've never really felt the need to go back into Geist at all.
Thank you for this comment. As an Ableton user I was gonna buy Geist. You've just saved me $250. :tu:

Im sure you will see this kind of UI more and more. People want 'scalable vector UIs', its hot, its new, new sells, so there you go.

Unfortunately the whole thing has a flaw: Things have to be kept simple so the up- and downscaling process doesnt make the UI look like a blurry mess. The result is unicolors and simple shapes everywhere, otherwise the UI might not be able to 'survive' the scaling process without the whole thing looking like crap on sizes other than 'native'.

To be honest; i wouldnt do that. I much prefer the attractiveness of a UI that is made using static images that can be as complex as i wish them to be in terms of both colors and shape. As a developer that has to take increasingly extreme screen resolution differences into account i would therefore not go vector, but instead offer my UI in 3 fixed sizes (small/medium/large) so that it can be used on all screens without having to make quality compromises in the 'looks' department.

reusenoise wrote:These is the GUI every drum machine should have (imho) ;-)
It all depends on what you can do with the drum machine actually. If it has a sequencer, or not. More or less advanced synthesis. Btw wich synthesis method ? Display samples waveforms, loops, slices, or not ? Interactive and live playing abilities, or not ? And a myriad of other things. Really, things are not always so simple that there's an universal answer for everything.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”