Anyone using arturia hardware instruments? Also, instruments besides virus that have AU editors?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you need an AU plugin for Blofeld you could try the editor from Rekon Audio:
http://www.rekonaudio.com/products/wald ... eld-editor

I do not know how good this is as i have no Mac and i use a different Editor ("MonstrumFeld") for my Blofeld desktop.

BTW i got a Novation UltraNova last week and the VST editor indeed works nicely (an AU plugin seems to be available too). The UltraNova also includes a built-in audio interface but i did not find a way yet to use it only with the USB port (for both audio and MIDI). So far i found it could be bus powered (but you could also use an included power adapter) and MIDI transmission also works nicely.
So while the Ultranova has a built-in audio interface it does not seem to be similar to the way it works in the Virus TI where you could send both audio and MIDI trough the USB connection.

Both Blofeld and UltraNova do sound great IMO (while not similar) and got a quite complex synth engine (both with e.g. 3 Oscs, 2 multimode filters, multiple enveloeps and LFOs, a mod matrix and wavetable synthesis while Blofeld seems to be superior for wavetable stuff).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:If you need an AU plugin for Blofeld you could try the editor from Rekon Audio:
Yes, this is the one I bought. Not bad! But not good enough for the money spent.
Anyway, you have only 10 times downloads (including the first one) and only in one computer as it is written here in their Product Activation page:
"Products can only be 'Activated' and run on a single computer at a time. Once you have activated this product on a computer, you cannot install and run it on another computer until you have successfully 'De-Activated' the product from the computer it was installed on."

I thought to have it in my laptop as well, but no luck! Anyway, this freeware standalone is a great one (http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft#blofeld) It doesn't have nice graphics, but IMO it is the best I tried (Sorry, Windows only).

EnGee wrote:
Ingonator wrote:If you need an AU plugin for Blofeld you could try the editor from Rekon Audio:
Yes, this is the one I bought. Not bad! But not good enough for the money spent.
Anyway, you have only 10 times downloads (including the first one) and only in one computer as it is written here in their Product Activation page:
"Products can only be 'Activated' and run on a single computer at a time. Once you have activated this product on a computer, you cannot install and run it on another computer until you have successfully 'De-Activated' the product from the computer it was installed on."

I thought to have it in my laptop as well, but no luck! Anyway, this freeware standalone is a great one (http://lady.rdsor.ro/~kotro/index.php?m=soft#blofeld) It doesn't have nice graphics, but IMO it is the best I tried (Sorry, Windows only).
I use Windows so I do not need AU and i got this one for my Blofeld (also available as VST for Mac AFAIK):
http://www.monstrummedia.com/product/feld/

Also got the Pulse 2 editor from teh same company.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
EnGee wrote:

I use Windows so I do not need AU and i got this one for my Blofeld (also available as VST for Mac AFAIK):
http://www.monstrummedia.com/product/feld/

Also got the Pulse 2 editor from teh same company.
This looks nice one. I'm downloading the demo now, but I don't think I will use the VSTi version (only the standalone one), because it is too much hassle : "VST users: Be aware that for the ports of the Blofeld to be available to the MIDI subsystem you must *disable* the synth's ports in your DAW's MIDI settings!"
It is the same also with RekonAudio's VSTi configuration :neutral:

[Edit]
The demo of monstrumFeld is nice indeed. Big and clear interface. I have a problem when I change the presets in Blofeld, it changes the Mod wheel in monstrumFeld!! It should send Program Change, right.

I didn't see any visual representation of the filter, lfo and envelope as in Lehel's free editor. That would be cool really.

Anyway, enough of me hijacking this thread! Sorry OP!

EnGee wrote:
TheoM wrote:
I also want to limit myself.. the ti snow is 100% a given as is the integra..

the max i will ever want to have is 5 pieces of hardware synthesis.. ever.. and i plan to take my time in choosing and these things aren't cheap ;) But yeah if i am going to break the insta recall within logic ethos, it will only be for the nord.. otherwise they have to have plugin editors :)

lots of research to do, and will have to give myself a pain killer and get to a store so i can sit down for a couple hours and go through some patches :)

EDIT: Ok i see what you mean, there are au editors for blofeld, 3rd party.. but.. i can't find any that support yosemite.. i can't load mavericks on this mac :(
This is a good start IMO to know what's really you need and have a good plan.

I think Ti Snow is a great choice, I don't know about Integra really.

Do you have a midi controller? I chose the Blofeld Keyboard not because of the synth only, but because of the synth keys action which when I tested in the shop was better than King Korg and very similar to the Prophet 12 (or 6 I don't remember now which one was). It has Aftertouch of course, but I'm not fond of aftertouch really. I prefer a pedal and map it to aftertouch or even to the mod wheel leaving one hand free for playing with another parameter!
Anyway, the Casio PX weighted keys are still better in velocity accuracy from Blofeld (This is needed for Piano playing as dynamics rules).

What about an analog? Mono analog and Paraphonic analog are affordable (like MS-20 or Pulse 2). But still King Kong as VA can replace Diva IMO. So, you free your computer cpu really a lot. In case of MS-20, digital photos will be nice presets saver 8)

The only thing not covered easily by hardware is the Additive synthesis. I use Loom for that as it is a great synth with reasonable cpu usage. So, you will have few limited helper synths. FM might also be great with plugins.

For hardware, I'm thinking of the sound first and the built quality really. I have bought VSTi editor for Blofeld for $79 (or $75) but I'm not using it at all! I use currently the standalone free one. If I buy Pulse 2 or any other VA or analog synth, I won't buy any editor because no need really! In the case of Blofeld it helps because of the complexity of the synth, (although I'm finding my way more with the unit with time). While, for example, King Korg is so nice to tweak and play with the knobs ...etc that It is no need absolutely for editor.

I planned my setup around what I really want to do from a music. Piano is essential (still beginner stage, hopefully entering the intermediate stage after one year or so). So, I needed a very good Piano action keys and Casio PX-5S was a bargain (second hand but almost new) although I would go for Kawai MP 11 if I had the money :hihi:

Next I needed to replace my shitty Oxygen 49, so I though to buy either a workstation or a synth with keys. I found that I need Blofeld more than other synths because most of my planned music is like Movies/atmosphere with some rock/pop 80's depeche modey thing! So, Casio PX-5S covers all the Pianos, Organs ..etc while Blofeld covers all a wavetable synth would cover (about 75% of what I want really). What I miss is only real analog sound (mostly for bass/lead/analog effect/feel) so I also don't need that much, Pulse 2 or one of the Korgs I mentioned would be more than enough for me. Well, I don't know what genre(s) of music you want to do. This is a very important for the setup IMO, so you can be very specific about what serve you well in the long run.

I also going back and forth between my desktop and laptop, so what I did is that I bought USB 3 powered hub and I connect the Audio interface, Blofeld, Casio, Mouse, USB contains Waves lisence. So, when I want I just unplug the hub from the desktop and connect it to the laptop. I love this setup as monitors, mini mixer and headphones are connected to the audio interface, so it is just one usb cable to unplug/plug :D

Update us with your choices, and purchases. I'm curious to see how it is going with you in your setup :)

I like the hardware to free me little bit from the burden of CPU usage and the 'in the box' thinking. I thought it would cure my GAS as well, but it didn't succeed completely :hihi:
Still, I won't abandon my hardware any time soon and using the host as a midi/audio sequencer (if I can save my midi composing in it and modulations, then all i need to write a note about the preset used and I'm done, no need for editor to manage it really).
Hey thanks... for analog there is only one that has recall, i don't know how they have done it as it's a true analog synth, the new elektron thing. I guess eventually i will have to cough up the bucks. Blofeld really has my interest

I think after much research for 650 aud i will get the mininova rather than the ultra.. because it is 100% sound compatible, and has a nicer improved vocoder as well as being able to play voice tuning (called vocaltune). I don't care about the small keys in fact i wish they made it as a rack.

So we are at mininova/virus ti/integra. The integra is more important than anything to me as i had roland jv 1010's and 2080's and used them every day and miss them every day and this has 6000 of the sounds and full plugin integration.

Possible candidates are nord lead a1R which i think sounds fat enough that i don't need a real analogue, and it has 26 poly, or an elektron analog 4, and possibly a blofield and that will be it.

Next year i will buy one mega workstation, either korg or yamaha, they are big bucks so will probably say i could save by next summer. Korg do make a mini triton now that has plugin capability and has all the triton sounds, so there ARE options.. all korgs latest stuff integrate with daw's.

To the others re the reckon editors for blofeld.. so you mean you have to disable using the blofeld as a midi keyboard? As in, the usb will work to send patch data but the midi out doesn't work as such if used as a plugin? That doesn't bother me either as i was going to get the rack anyway.

TheoM wrote:
To the others re the reckon editors for blofeld.. so you mean you have to disable using the blofeld as a midi keyboard? As in, the usb will work to send patch data but the midi out doesn't work as such if used as a plugin? That doesn't bother me either as i was going to get the rack anyway.
Yes, you need to disable it as Midi in/Midi out so you can use it with the vsti version of the editor. In fact the only times that S1v3 has freezed when I i didn't disable the midi in/out of Blofeld!! It is a hassle to setup little bit and I was frustrated and angry till I could do it after freezing S1 (Reaper and Cubase as well) many times!
Read here (in Daw host setup section):

http://www.rekonaudio.com/support/setup-guide

"When using the VST or Audio Unit version of the software you will first need to setup your MIDI ports in your DAW host so that there are no conflicts between the VST-AU Editor and the DAW host. In particular, For most DAW hosts, you will need to disable the MIDI Input and Output ports in your host's MIDI Setup that you plan to use the VST-AU Editor and synth with. Do this before running the plug-in. Failing to do so will not allow these ports to be available in the VST-AU Editor's 'MIDI Setup', which will be used to communicate directly to the synthesizer."

If you are going to buy Blofeld, I really advise you to first read the manual slowly and take your time to get familiar with the workflow of it. It has a small screen but really excellent use of space (much better than Pulse 2), I think it is similar to Access Virus (if I remember correctly). It is much easier and nicer than it seems to edit sounds. Creating sounds from init requires me to have a paper and pen to plan it, but I think with time everything will be related inside my mind.
If you are going to use Windows as well, then just extract the zip file of the free editor I mentioned and you are done. If you care a lot about graphics style, then maybe the one Ingo mentioned is a very nice indeed with big interface (very comfortable to the eyes), but I still prefer the free one as it has the graphic representation of the Filter Cut off/Resonance and LFO fading in/out and of course the envelopes. However it is in tabs and no VSTi version just standalone (which I don't mind it). Damn! I can't stop talking about Blofeld :hihi:

EnGee wrote:
TheoM wrote:
Yes, you need to disable it as Midi in/Midi out so you can use it with the vsti version of the editor. In fact the only times that S1v3 has freezed when I i didn't disable the midi in/out of Blofeld!! It is a hassle to setup little bit and I was frustrated and angry till I could do it after freezing S1 (Reaper and Cubase as well) many times!
Read here (in Daw host setup section):

http://www.rekonaudio.com/support/setup-guide

"When using the VST or Audio Unit version of the software you will first need to setup your MIDI ports in your DAW host so that there are no conflicts between the VST-AU Editor and the DAW host. In particular, For most DAW hosts, you will need to disable the MIDI Input and Output ports in your host's MIDI Setup that you plan to use the VST-AU Editor and synth with. Do this before running the plug-in. Failing to do so will not allow these ports to be available in the VST-AU Editor's 'MIDI Setup', which will be used to communicate directly to the synthesizer."

If you are going to buy Blofeld, I really advise you to first read the manual slowly and take your time to get familiar with the workflow of it. It has a small screen but really excellent use of space (much better than Pulse 2), I think it is similar to Access Virus (if I remember correctly). It is much easier and nicer than it seems to edit sounds. Creating sounds from init requires me to have a paper and pen to plan it, but I think with time everything will be related inside my mind.
If you are going to use Windows as well, then just extract the zip file of the free editor I mentioned and you are done. If you care a lot about graphics style, then maybe the one Ingo mentioned is a very nice indeed with big interface (very comfortable to the eyes), but I still prefer the free one as it has the graphic representation of the Filter Cut off/Resonance and LFO fading in/out and of course the envelopes. However it is in tabs and no VSTi version just standalone (which I don't mind it). Damn! I can't stop talking about Blofeld :hihi:
sorry, i had ingo muted for weeks now, i haven't read a thing he said and if i see his name quoted in a topic of mine i skip the posts.

now that i think about it, disabling the blofeld on board midi port shouldn't really make a difference to hitting it's own keys for it's own sound, it just means i can't control other synths in logic, which honestly is not a big deal to me at all. Then again i will likely get the rack as i said, so will probably just have it close to my axiom and tweak and play it that way.

Oh yes! you are absolutely right if you take the desktop version (not the keyboard).
I have the keys and use it as my Midi controller as well so I don't want to disable it.

They sell the desktop here for NZD 799 (discounted) while the Pulse is NZD 899, so I suppose similar prices in AUS.Anyway, you might be better with Pulse 2 instead as I read somewhere that the Virus (don't know which model) has wavetables as well, so you might not need another wavetables synth and opt for analog one to have this 'analogish' vibe in the lead.

[Edit] I see you already mentioned Elektron analog. You are set then :tu:

EnGee wrote:Oh yes! you are absolutely right if you take the desktop version (not the keyboard).
I have the keys and use it as my Midi controller as well so I don't want to disable it.

They sell the desktop here for NZD 799 (discounted) while the Pulse is NZD 899, so I suppose similar prices in AUS.Anyway, you might be better with Pulse 2 instead as I read somewhere that the Virus (don't know which model) has wavetables as well, so you might not need another wavetables synth and opt for analog one to have this 'analogish' vibe in the lead.

Hey i just watched a 30 min pulse2 review and it's awesome! Plus it has some kind of fake 8 polyphony mode.. i need to check more into that to see if 3 note chord leads can be played.

But it's half the price of the elektron almost, and i feel the same as you before you crossed it out. perhaps skip the blofeld and get the pulse. After all, the ti *definitely* has wavetables.

TheoM wrote:
EnGee wrote:Oh yes! you are absolutely right if you take the desktop version (not the keyboard).

Hey i just watched a 30 min pulse2 review and it's awesome! Plus it has some kind of fake 8 polyphony mode.. i need to check more into that to see if 3 note chord leads can be played.

But it's half the price of the elektron almost, and i feel the same as you before you crossed it out. perhaps skip the blofeld and get the pulse. After all, the ti *definitely* has wavetables.
Elektron with Overbridge is impressive. I have the Analog Keys and Rytm. They have a unique beauty to the sound and the sequencers fluid usability cannot be touched by software.

pdxindy wrote:
TheoM wrote:

Elektron with Overbridge is impressive. I have the Analog Keys and Rytm. They have a unique beauty to the sound and the sequencers fluid usability cannot be touched by software.

they do sound amazing.. but elektron needs to put up better demos themselves.. the ones of rytm in particular are very generic and "un"special. Everything i found that impressed me was from user videos.

Overbridge is a beta for logic, but I guess they will have it released at some point. 4 notes is the stickler for me, for AUD 2K. I wish it was 8.. i guess it will be great for single leads and bass but i can forget any analog pads from it.

pdxindy wrote:
TheoM wrote:

I watched a close up of Analog Four by sonic lab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO1NiOaWIHU

It is really a very nice machine. It is not only a synth but has step seq ..etc. The downside is although it has 4 monophonic voices, but you can't play chord (according to the close up).

I checked the price for Analog Four! It is about AUD2000 :-o
Anyway, I noticed that the Pulse 2 is much more expensive in Australia than New Zealand!! Strange!!

IMO Analog Four is perfect for Dance music as it has all the tools to make base lines, sequences, ..etc within one machine. It has a better screen than Pulse 2 (more information, silly Waldorf! why didn't you put the same screen as Blofeld!!!?) and Analog Four has more controls. It is almost twice the price. I don't know about the built quality though. I suppose top notch.

Pulse 2 is a more traditional synth. It can play chord (of 3 or 4 as showed in Sonic Lab review) and it is half the price of Analog Four (almost). IMO it is unmatched with its sound/built quality/price. I'm a little bit old school, so Pulse 2 suites me much more (especially at the price :hihi: )

from elektron's site:

OS 1.1 introduced very flexible voice allocation features. The Analog Four & Analog Keys can be used in a four note polyphonic mode, in a four part multitimbral mode, and in a four note unison mode. It is also possible to mix and match between the modes.

nice find re the NZ pulse 2 prices. if i can find a shop that offers free or cheap ship, it will work out to like 900 AU max rather than 1200.

Yeah pulse 2 seems very suited to me also. I have to investigate it's paraphonic mode further though and see which has better patch support. There are some mind blowing CHEAP patch banks available for analog four. I will be a doing a lot of hands on tweaking of course but i always start with a patch.

This is all getting very exciting.

There are so many options.. dave smith has editors now (not plugins afaik but full control), roland have a ton of stuff with aira that are all plugin enabled.. there is the roland jd-x1,and more and more.

I don't want to go crazy, the max will always will be 5. So we know TI and Integra take 2 of those slots for sure. What fills the other three is not going to be an overnight decision :)

TheoM wrote:nice find re the NZ pulse 2 prices. if i can find a shop that offers free or cheap ship, it will work out to like 900 AU max rather than 1200.
I bought my Blofeld Keys from Music Planet NZ located in the city centre. They are really very friendly guys. You can check Pulse 2 (now has a special offer of NZD 899) here:
http://www.musicplanet.co.nz/keyboards- ... lse-2.html

You can try your local store to match the price, otherwise send email to Music Planet and ask them if they can tell you their co-shop in Australia, or to answer your questions about the shipment (which I don't think it is that much due to the weight and distance).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”