Anybody got a Plugiator yet ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote:^^yeah I agree with the aliasing part because I haven't had any aliasing issues with mine, but you know how people will claim to hear it anyway and I'm just not going there. I love the realism of these algorithms.
But it *may* be real - maybe a bad converter, cap with a cold solder joint, etc.

I bought mine new and the first one I got had an encoder that was install backwards and it was all funny colored green. I did get a replacement.

http://www.use-audio.com/

I would wager that somebody is still there; unlikely full time, though -

Last time that I checked, I could still get into my account -

I can't even find the log in link anymore...my eyes are going all blurry now too. ouch

From 2011:

Dear Plugiator User,

Thank you for registering your Plugiator with us.
Here is your activation key for the Vocodizer, your free registration bonus:

HWSN: 123456789 (Alpha string)
Vocodizer Key: 123456789abc

Even if you now received the key via email, please also take note of it
on the activation key page in the back of the user manual.

Please download the Vocodizer Installer
http://www.use-audio.com/downloads/vocodizer.pil
and install it as per the instructions in the user manual.

Have fun with the Vocodizer!

Best regards, Use Audio Inc.

Every Plugiator has a machine code; if that can't be read, then Use-Audio should still be able to find you with your bio (name, address, etc.)

I think that you log in using the Plugiator software - just went through some old emails; couldn't find a 'free-standing' link - I'll look again, then post it here if found -

yep, everything went through that plugin manager which no longer works for a lot of people. I can get the windows one installed and up through a virtualization software but it won't read or send to and from the plugiator and I just get a blank plugin window panel so.... I can use it through plogue bidual if I can get the cc controllers to send and receive. I think I'm done playing for now. My eyes are hurting too much. Thanks again. I'll be playing with this more over the weekend.

I'm going to see if I can still access my account - I used to have the manager software installed on this machine at work; took it off - but uninstall did not do it cleanly, so when I try to reinstall the SM, it flags me, then closes -

Lol -sh!t -

I guess that I'm going to have to regedit it - look for use-audio strings, delete them, then try to reinstall again -

This is an XP machine, so it should work - theoretically -

I don't what you are doing, because I'm more of an instrumentalist than a programmer. But if you can deconstruct and or construct this manager so that it works...I can not tell you. People have been waiting for that for ... shit almost ten years now give or take. I would be internally grateful.

Lol! No: nothing that complicated -

The hardware and software has always been half-baked: they got their hardware somewhat stable, but the midi on it is no thing of beauty -

I guess that they were bound and determined to build it (and maintain it) as cheaply as possible, which IMHO is stupid, considering the software that runs in it (world-class - some would argue some of the best emus in existence even now!)

Do you know that the Solaris, one of the best digital synths on planet Earth comes from John Bowen and creamware (Sonic Core)?

Edit: Spelling correction.
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regedit is a surgical tool for cleaning up the system registry in Windows - you gotta be careful with it, otherwise you could wreck your entire Windows install.

You use it when things like the use-audio plugin manager do such a sh!tty job uninstalling themselves that you can't reinstall it -

Why they didn't *at least* use over-sampled converters is beyond me - they could have made it sound even better then the any of the ASB boxes if they had invested in Plugiator just a bit more -

Even the name - Plugiator - :roll:

Anyway: I got (4) of them - also got an old Prodyssey Klangbox, which is the Prodyssey's guts minus the UI. i did have each of the ASB's but sold those off -

They're all 'white elephants' - the ASB's are future collectors items, since there are so few in existence - I'd kept them if I was a collector, but speaking purely for myself: if I can't trust it live, whatever it is, then it doesn't belong with me.

I don't trust any of them. All of the plugins should have stayed on the computer unless especially the big C had the means to support them in a live configuration - they didn't - They wound up bankrupt shortly thereafter.

Do you know that inDSP apparently hjacked the ip that's used in the Plugiator from Creamware? It's murky.

Arturia is another company that probably should have left their ip on the computer - the Origin from what I understand is fraught with issues because Arturia cut costs by using cheaper parts - the Origin is arguably the finest digital synth ever made - I say this because Arturia invested ginormous man-hours into its design - crazy amounts - but then: cursed it with cheap components in critical areas of its circuit topology, & UI control - the main knob's potentiometer is cheap, and causes all kinds of issues.

Stupid.

I will give Arturia this: they released all their service docs on the Origin to the wild - so if an owner has the wherewithal, he or she can right the wrongs of poor component choices -

I wish that *all* companies that abandon their products like Arturia seems to have done to the Origin (in the interest of full disclosure: the Origin is actually built by a subcontractor) would follow that example - for example: maybe, just maybe - the Plugiator could be fixed with a few key component upgrades - the midi might be unfixable, true, but first off: make sure Plugiator owners that you have the last factory installed loader/firmware revision - one of my machines had both the original and latest - the latest is *much* better -

I'll stop there. What can I say - even now, years after the fact, I get frustrated with companies like use-audio that don't exercise 'intelligent' investment and cost management - there's absolutely no reason other then for a few dollars' savings in parts costs that the Plugiator isn't still relevant, very reliable, and sonically on par with any synth built right now in 2015.

goldenanalog wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:^^yeah I agree with the aliasing part because I haven't had any aliasing issues with mine, but you know how people will claim to hear it anyway and I'm just not going there. I love the realism of these algorithms.
I thought the great thing about these things was that the algorithms were super good and ran at 96 kg to avoid any aliasing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

The algos are indeed superb, but unless the specs published are wrong:

Internally: 176khz

Externally: 44.1 kHz

If they ran at 192khz/32 bit internally, then were downsampled to 96khz and the data truncated to 24 bit, you wouldn't need much of a brick-wall filter, true?

Good morning, you've been busy golden. They are 36 bit through put I know that, could probably find the kHz in the manual if I looked, doesn't matter they have a level of realism that I'm not getting out of my laptop right now. It's in the algorithms. yes, I think the solaris is one of those things I would dearly love to own. I used to buy and own all those big old expensive hardware back in the day...in the mid 2000's I started going desktop units and then figured the computer software was getting good enough to go in the box so tat's what I did. trying to keep up with the young ones now. :)

I do miss having some hardware around, but i have a kid now who took over my studio room. So no where to put instruments and such anymore. Just a half a hobby room and a lot of shelves and such now. Nice big work desk though. anyway, looking back on it, it is obvious what happened. When the recession hit everyone stopped making great boards and started making these cheap desktop units for the sequencer dance music crowd. I can see it getting better though. It has been a looong hard road but the developers are making boards again and I've even noticed that there are some pretty talented young players showing up on the scene.

Return to “Instruments”