Native Instruments License Transfer Policy Change ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was just in my NI account and I noticed that some of the registered products have new provisions regarding their transfer attached to them and it appears that some of the products cannot be transferred at all now...

So has NI recently changed their policy regarding the transfer of their products ?

I am wondering about the legality of this,as this would be a retrospective ruling regarding products that have been bought under a different license policy...

Can someone shed a little more light on this situation please ?

Thanks....ajw
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:I was just in my NI account and I noticed that some of the registered products have new provisions regarding their transfer attached to them and it appears that some of the products cannot be transferred at all now...

So has NI recently changed their policy regarding the transfer of their products ?

I am wondering about the legality of this,as this would be a retrospective ruling regarding products that have been bought under a different license policy...

Can someone shed a little more light on this situation please ?

Thanks....ajw
I recall seeing it stated that KoreSounds could not be sold/license transferred. I've done three of them now, all went through just fine.

Interesting. It seems NI have changed how they handle transfers now.

I'm also noticing my Kontakt Crossgrade has become NFR, perhaps because i purchased it used. Would be good to know some more about this new system and how its decided what is and isn't NFR.

There is a new methodology, "Transfer ID" which would appear to facilitate it directly rather than via email. I don't see anything to indicate a problem at my account. But when I was selling Kore Soundpacks I saw that, but I went ahead & applied to open up the serial number to the buyers, and there was no problem.

I didn't notice anything different until I found the new menu item in my account. It seems that NI have partly automated the process. With the new process it should mean a quicker transfer, and that a buyer can apply a licence to their account directly - thus able to immediately download the installer.

I see it's only when you select the transfer option do you get to see the status of licences. A bunch of recent Maschine expansions, which I got from KVR users, are shown as NFR.
*edit* I suspect this is because they came from a software bundle - according to EULA bundled software shouldn't be transferred.

It may be that the manual email approach may still work on all licences. But clearly NI need to explain why it has started labelling its own products as NFR.
Last edited by db3 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

There's a few people that are going to get a big surprise from this.....

It seems now that any NI product bought S/H becomes NFR...

So anybody wanting to sell products and upgrade to Komplete or Ultimate are going to have a few "extras" in their account...

Like I said before,I'm not sure of the legality of this when those products were bought under a previous licensing policy...

Anyway - in true NI style,there was no prior announcement...

Just a nice surprise for the lemmings to wake up to :wink:

Next,they'll have us on "Subskription" and that'll be the time to say "Adios" :party:
No auto tune...

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the license has always prohibited transfers of some items (I believe "downloadable items"). But NI had (up until now?) never enforced this.
Can see that this will be a disappointment to many users though, absolutely.

EDIT: for the sake of clarity, it doesn't seem that every "downloadable item" is now NFR. I have various of these in my account and can all transfer them. I think (but that's just a hunch) that downloadable items can now only be transferred once. For instance, I have Battery 3 (disc), which I bought second hand, and I can still transfer it.
Last edited by BDeep on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Checked my account.
Seems the only expansions showing as NFR are the ones bought in the last sale.
Secondhand expansions I received before that show as transferable.
(All were download only products).
All of my 3rd party Kontakt libraries show a NFR status.
Might have to do with the policies from those companies though.

edited after receiving the full story :tu:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

No changes at all in my account.

Should there be a difference between european (I'm in germany) and us customers?
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

Looks like my recent crossgrade from drumica to the full version of Kontakt 5 has become not transferrable. My copy of Reaktor 5, Molekular, Monark are all transerrable though.

Oh well i'm not bothered with this at all.
:borg:

MountainKing wrote:No changes at all in my account.

Should there be a difference between european (I'm in germany) and us customers?
I am in Germany too and could not see any changes in my NI account so far (concerning transfers etc.).
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Here's what it looks like on my end in Canada.

New Website options?

:borg:

I sold my NI instruments few months ago. I had remained only Komplete Elements and their gifts for three years.

I recently asked to release Komplete Elements serial and they just sent me email to notify me about this. They have released the serial without a problem.

I logged in and the gifts are still transferable. The only two things not transferable are DrumMic'a and Kore Player. So, I suppose there is no change for me :shrug:

OK..I just got some clarification from NI support,so here's the deal...

The licenses that are marked as "not transferrable cannot be sold within the first 60 days". After a license transfer the serials are not transferable again for the next 60 days due to security settings on NI's side. They say that they want to prevent users from abusing the automated license transfer system.

But if you decide to resell any of those products earlier, you can contact NI support and they can transfer the serials manually.

The only real thing that has changed is the license "transfer" system and that's OK :tu:

So all is well in the world after all and the sky has not fallen...

Back to making music with some NI products now :)
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”