How to update Unfiltered Audio's Sandman

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I haven't found a way to ask Unfiltered Audio, but to post on their Facebook page. Haven't yet got an answer. So, here we go...

I have Sandman from Unfiltered Audio v1.0.0 installed and saw by accident (no email received or so), that there is a new version v1.0.3. On their page I only saw a demo version to download.

Can I install this demo to update? Or is there another way.

Cheerio
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

:neutral: Use the download link that you got when you first bought Sandman. The current version (1.0.2 beta) has been available since November 2014.

Where did you read about v1.0.3?
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I looked that link up and found it. But haven't thought about to try it... LOL, stupid me. It worked, thanks mate!

On a side note:

The file name says v1.0.3
The download page says v.1.0.2beta
Webpage also says v1.0.3 (for MAC AU)
Last edited by stardustmedia on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stardustmedia wrote:On a side note:

The file name says v1.0.3
The download page says v.1.0.2beta
Yeah ... the 1.03 update was AU only.

New Version 1.1
BUT...

Now is managed thru Plugin Alliance, so is mandatory to open an account at plugin alliance, and worst part, you must autorize it using plugin alliance license.
Thats a clear change in the conditions for the plugin, the Unfiltered audio product web page still say:

DRM Free. When you buy it, you own it. No serial numbers, dongles, or forced internet connections.

:roll: :uhuhuh:

I`d like to know whats new but there is no changelog anywhere.
Keep your old installers people!

IMO (please note this): there is NOTHING new. that's the worst part. yes, it is available in all plugin in formats, and yes, it is available to many people in the audio world (speaking of the plugin alliance customers here). but is it worth to bump up the price aboubt 2/3 of the original price? i definitely think no. is it worth to stay silent and pretend that you're "just" working on aax versions (i know this is a lot a work - i don't want to diminish that) for the time that your current customers are waiting for updates? NO.

if you read the press announcements of plugin alliance AND unfiltered audio then it's all too obvious that this has been a move/decision of marketing (or long term investment, if you will).

for the record: YES, i think we customers will benefit from this sooner or later. BUT how it was done is just shady and nothing more than this!

Shit, thats the changelog for 1.1:

New for Version 1.1:

Ping-Pong delay mode
Kill Switch
Dry/Wet is now a lockable parameter
Double-clicking ‘stop’ on the transport in your DAW will now empty non-frozen delay buffers
Fixed clicks when entering and exiting Sleep mode
Fixed synced LFOs being affected by Sample Rate manipulation
DSP performance and RAM usage improved by nearly 50%
Optional tooltips for every control
Several automation improvements, greater compatibility with external MIDI controllers
Added AAX native and VST3 formats

I think all pre-plugin alliance customers should get it WITHOUT the plugin alliance account NOR Activation system. As I say is still clear in the unfiltered audio webpage that is DRM FREE! this move is a scam....

Hi guys,

Sorry about the DRM-free lines still up on the webpage. The release was pretty chaotic yesterday and it just slipped our minds to update the feature list there. We are updating the webpage now.

Sandman 1.1 has been in active development for 6 months now. The price increase represents the fact that this upgrade process took more than twice as long as Sandman's initial development. In addition to that, Sandman 1.0 was developed by one person (me). Now, we have two developers working on Sandman, along with a large, paid support team, demo makers, sound designers, etc. The original price wasn't enough to support just me to begin with, and that was when I was a graduate student!

The following changelog is accurate:
Ping-Pong delay mode
Kill Switch
Dry/Wet is now a lockable parameter
Double-clicking ‘stop’ on the transport in your DAW will now empty non-frozen delay buffers
Fixed clicks when entering and exiting Sleep mode
Fixed synced LFOs being affected by Sample Rate manipulation
DSP performance and RAM usage improved by nearly 50%
Optional tooltips for every control
Several automation improvements, greater compatibility with external MIDI controllers
Added AAX native and VST3 formats

Adding AAX and VST3 versions was hugely invasive. The JUCE library that we use doesn't have support for many of Plugin Alliance's required features. In a few instances, we've added JUCE code that now benefits all developers. The biggest time-sink was adding in native sidechain support for G8 for all formats (Sound Radix helped us out a bunch on that, so big thanks to them!), but Sandman required a lot of DSP fixes. Something as simple as "Fixed clicks when entering and exiting Sleep mode" literally doubled the amount of DSP code.

Again, I'm really sorry for the confusing transfer process! Our intention was never to misguide our customers. We will work harder in the future to be more communicative.

Another note on our moving to a DRM system: I hate DRM. I really do. Every time I setup a new computer, I cringe a little knowing that I have to install all of my plug-ins from various sources. When PA told us that part of the deal would be using their DRM, I made sure to test their system before signing any contracts. I was comfortable with their system, as it required only a username and password. I didn't have to keep serials anywhere, and signing in once unlocked all plugins.

The uncomfortable truth is that a company with a pre-established user-base like Audio Damage can move to a DRM-free system and be fine. In our case, our sales were extremely low, and our piracy was extremely high. It was at the point where I was making more as a student TA than a plug-in developer, which didn't make sense. This is my dream job, and it's been something that I've wanted to do since high school. I'm really sorry that we weren't able to stick to our original plan, but I'm really hoping that this will allow us to focus full-time on delivering higher quality plug-ins at a faster rate.

Michael,

Plugin Alliance has worked really well for me for years. No issues. I'll definitely continue to support your products. You and your team definitely deserve to get paid for your hard work.

I purchased Sandman using a different email address than I use for my Plugin Alliance account, so hopefully they will transfer the plugin based on the support request I submitted.

Thanks again! :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

best of luck with the new partnership. i'm sure it wasn't approached with casual flippance and i hoe it leads to great places!

hopefully any growing pains are minimal for the user base.. of which i'm a part. ;)

Thanks everyone! In response to the original post, if you have a support question, please e-mail contact@unfilteredaudio.com or use the Plugin Alliance support form. Facebook posts are very easy to miss sometimes.

No problems here as well. Got the email from PA ( i had an account there already ) Asked to change login password - in reality i used the one i had before and the plugins were there for download. Great update!!! Thank you!!!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Effects”