Moog Mother - 32 Semi Modular Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Shy wrote:I don't see this as a "modular synth" product, maybe semi-modular, and since it's supposed to be sufficiently usable independently of other products, I think one VCO is far too limited. Two VCOs, including sync and whatever, would have made it a nice little synth. But I guess Moog knows something I don't know about the synth market.
Maybe they see it as a doorway drug.

All the more if you'll end up wanting another VCO. So, someone sees this as a starter into modular, at this price (if I had money...), and then grows from there...
Yeah, it's going to be a totally person to person thing as to if it scratches an itch or not. For me, I've avoided Euro. But, with this and the upcoming 500 series from roland, I am in. Also, it makes the patch version of the SEM very attractive again. The VCO shortage won't be a problem in my usage scenarios. But that's me. I get that others won't see the value. I could easily see people arguing for different modules and going with the Beat Pro as a better solution.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Nice video here

External reverb and an MF-104M analog delay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN-Nbxq ... e=youtu.be

I would think most people would agree that one oscillator is limiting. Who wouldn't prefer two, or even three? This is a price point constraint, but that doesn't make it ideal. That said, there is plenty of fun to be had with this system, even without another oscillator.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Is the external reverb an Eventide Space stompbox? The small grey detail of a bigger box on the right at 1'40'' makes me wonder...

SJ_Digriz wrote:Yeah, it's going to be a totally person to person thing as to if it scratches an itch or not. For me, I've avoided Euro. But, with this and the upcoming 500 series from roland, I am in. Also, it makes the patch version of the SEM very attractive again. The VCO shortage won't be a problem in my usage scenarios. But that's me. I get that others won't see the value. I could easily see people arguing for different modules and going with the Beat Pro as a better solution.

Almost the same here, I've avoided Eurorack and I'll try to avoid it (or I'll try to get into it as little as possible), but I did the big mistake of trying the MoogerFoogers. They were the gateway drug that brought me into the world of CV. The Mother-32 definitely makes sense in my setup, it should integrate nicely with my MoogerFooger setup, bringing out their real power.
The VCO shortage is somehow a problem to me, but I've bought a MF-107 when it was discontinued, so I have something to add (though the tracking is not as perfect as an oscillator made to be used in a synth)... also, Moog oscillators sound big and rich enven by themselves; I'm more concerned about the limted envelope.

Anyway I already ordered one, so now I have to build some CV tools, like mults and inverters (just basic opamp things) and maybe on or two adsr envelopes... and cables and patchbay/adapters (between small and big jacks), of course!

I'm also somehow interested in the upcoming Roland 500 by Malekko... gosh... :scared:

rob_lee wrote:Nice video here

External reverb and an MF-104M analog delay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN-Nbxq ... e=youtu.be
Beautiful!

sin night wrote:Is the external reverb an Eventide Space stompbox? The small grey detail of a bigger box on the right at 1'40'' makes me wonder...
I think someone noted the eventide on the first promo video. So probably.
Almost the same here, I've avoided Eurorack and I'll try to avoid it (or I'll try to get into it as little as possible), but I did the big mistake of trying the MoogerFoogers. They were the gateway drug that brought me into the world of CV. The Mother-32 definitely makes sense in my setup, it should integrate nicely with my MoogerFooger setup, bringing out their real power.
The VCO shortage is somehow a problem to me, but I've bought a MF-107 when it was discontinued, so I have something to add (though the tracking is not as perfect as an oscillator made to be used in a synth)... also, Moog oscillators sound big and rich enven by themselves; I'm more concerned about the limted envelope.
I have a fairly substantial MU system. So, Euro hasn't appealed. And, because of that, I have plenty of stuff to take care of what's missing.
I'm also somehow interested in the upcoming Roland 500 by Malekko... gosh... :scared:
Man, I'm hopeful on this stuff. Also, Rolands newer Euro effects units look good too.

deastman wrote:I would think most people would agree that one oscillator is limiting.
I agree.

With a chorus the sound can be fattend up, but is that inbuilt, or need to be added externally?:
SJ_Digriz wrote:by the time you slap 2 delays, 90% wet reverb, a decimator and a chorus on it, the number of VCO's won't matter much. :hihi:

It needs to be added externally. There are no built in fx in the Mother 32.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
sin night wrote:I'm also somehow interested in the upcoming Roland 500 by Malekko... gosh... :scared:
Man, I'm hopeful on this stuff. Also, Rolands newer Euro effects units look good too.
My wallet is scared and hopes they won't be good or, at least, of any interest to me. :lol:

I really have no space for any hardware in my small room and I'm really afraid of getting lost in the modular world (because I know I would). :scared:

Numanoid wrote: With a chorus the sound can be fattend up, but is that inbuilt, or need to be added externally?:
nah, I was being a bit sarcastic. But, in reality the vast majority of modular stuff I hear is so gutted by effects, the modular aspect doesn't really matter. I could record farting in a trashcan and get the same results... Again, maybe a bit sarcastic. But, a bit of truth in there somewhere.

Captain obvious reporting, merely to opine that a chorus to fatten the single osc, might sound most authentic patched between the osc and filter. That way it ought to sound more like a synth with detuned oscillators, and less like a synth feeding a chorus pedal. IOW the osc would be chorused, but the filter would not get chorused.

stupid question but with 1/8th inch to 1/4th inch patch cables I could patch the mother 32 with my voyager xl and moogerfoogers? the 1 vco scares me but if i can patch everything I have together I may get into euro rack and then eventually get more euro rack stuff.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

qtheerearranger wrote:stupid question but with 1/8th inch to 1/4th inch patch cables I could patch the mother 32 with my voyager xl and moogerfoogers? the 1 vco scares me but if i can patch everything I have together I may get into euro rack and then eventually get more euro rack stuff.
AFAIK it is possible.
I did such patching with my MicroBrute and my MoogerFoogers and it works fine, so the Mother 32 must be able to do the same.

The only thing to care about is to make custom cables using TRS jacks with just tip and shield connected (ring disconnected) on the MoogerFooger pedal inputs. While they work fine with standard TS cables, any expression pedal doesn't work anymore as long as there's a TS on a pedal jack (just CV); so if you want to use an expression pedal along with CV you must use a TRS cables with ring disconnected on Fooger side (by the way there's a chapter about CV cables on every MoogerFooger manual which explains this very well, way better than my post).

The whole Erika piece now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beQLlU ... e=youtu.be

this is stunning, I love how minimalistic and calm her performance is, no show, no action, pure music.

aMUSEd wrote:The whole Erika piece now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beQLlU ... e=youtu.be

this is stunning, I love how minimalistic and calm her performance is, no show, no action, pure music.
Ha ha lol I was about to post you the full mix. I got the e-mail when I was out on my phone.. had it playing a few times tonight.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”