Old Skool Electro

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A track I made for fun using 1 instance of shortcircuit. All mixing was done in shortcircuit, with the only added effects added during mastering.

https://soundcloud.com/nine-of-kings/oldskoolectro

It sounds like a demo that could be turned into a very good track. As it stands, it doesn't have enough variation or detail to make me want to listen more than once.

That snare is quite loud, almost painful. An actual 808 snare is a lot less extreme.

+1: the intro is weird enough (in a good way) to catch the listener´s attention, but after that, the track floats about a bit aimlessly (lack of tension in the arrangement), and yes, the snare is distractingly loud/big.

that said, the foundation, that is the sequence from 0:19, is very good, and definitely has the potential for a fancy retro track.

Thanks for your comments! I often have a hard time mixing 808 or 606 style snares, because they're so short and are essentially just transients. I also have a habit of making snares too loud in general. Will keep an eye on that.

Calling this a demo is actually pretty accurate. This was just kind of a slapped-together thing to have some fun and get better acquainted with shortcircuit. More "real" music coming in the future, hopefully

Not bad at all :)

I agree with the others that it needs a little work to really shine, but it
also has the elements making it worthwhile if you should decide to do so.

Cheers
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

Sounds good, nineofkings. Like everyone else has said, this could be the base for a pretty cool track. I can definitely imagine that adding some guitar and vocal work would take it to the next level.

Hmmm definately agree it has potential. Good clear crisp production. Reminds me of several artists from the mid 80's scene, which I feel you are striving for.

Reminds me straight away of Kraftwerks Tour de France with some Harold Faltermeyer influences. I feel you have based it on several influences resulting in the track straining away from your own intention, with a struggle to get the sound you are after. The arp creates some chaos and as a listener it feels like you are trying to disguise the original vibe, yet they strike right through the cloak. I think you should remove the arp and formulate it in the track more constructively.

Please take it as a constructive point of view. Good work and potential.

PS Just listened to https://soundcloud.com/nine-of-kings/br ... t-in-hives
Great track.

Return to “Music Cafe”