Studio One users.... Interview with GM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hivkorn wrote:
Yeah I recently sold Live, Studio One v3 is the DAW I was waiting for. There's a lot less scratching of the head, and I don't have much hair left so scratching is to be avoided.
I recently sold Studio one pro V3 and back to Cubase ...
When the V3 has been released i have expect to have a stable DAW (just like V2) , but this was a nightmare for me ( osx 10.8.5 and 10.10.5 on i mac icore 5 / 8 g ram ) , it crash a lot of time , the plugin like waves and some softube freeze the GUI and the computer , the crash corrupted the song (after 5 hours of work !) ...I have presonus 44 vsl i 'm happy with it , but i'm not dealing anymore with S1v3...And guess what ? Not a single crash under Cubase since I use it , i can tell now : i make music , i'm not forced to always check what plugin i am using just because it crash the daw ...
Same thing could be said about cubase also.

I recently sold Studio one pro V3 and back to Cubase
I really never get the musical chairs thing, buying and then selling things that are very easily demoed. I suppose it just all boils down to the addiction of buying new software.

LawrenceF wrote:
I recently sold Studio one pro V3 and back to Cubase
I really never get the musical chairs thing, buying and then selling things that are very easily demoed. I suppose it just all boils down to the addiction of buying new software.
I find this as an advantage over some other DAWs that you can't sell (for some reason). The freedom of selling and buying S1 makes it more attractive IMO. If you got stuck with it, not because you can't sell it but because you like it :)

Since I upgraded to v3 pro and I only had one crash (it was because of the Blofeld VSTi plugin form Reckon Audio). Other than that, nada! More stable than Cubase Elements 8 which I uninstalled it because it crashes from time to time!

Before upgrading to S1v3, I almost upgraded Cubase Elements to Artist or Pro, but I pressed on myself and waited more to see which option I should take. After some time, I found upgrading to S1v3 would save me money and give me freedom to install it on 2 or 3 of computers I have, while Cubase Artist or Pro needs the dongle and for about three times the price at least! Why?! Especially that S1v3 has excellent features and better workflow.
In short, I'm really very happy for my decision and I enjoy every second in S1 more than any other DAW :D

I find this as an advantage over some other DAWs that you can't sell (for some reason).
Agree. Being able to sell something you own (for any reason) is a good thing. I was more speaking to the idea of users buying things that look cool, without bothering to really test them, and then selling them later when they have issues.

You'd think if an app (or upgrade) wasn't stable you'd learn that while demoing, if you do real work with the demo. The honest question is....

"How many times have you spent hundreds of dollars for software only to be discouraged because it didn't run well for you and when that happened... why did it happen?"

It seems to be (often enough, not always) that some users just like buying new stuff... and get excited... and just buy stuff.

LawrenceF wrote: It seems to be (often enough, not always) that some users just like buying new stuff... and get excited... and just buy stuff.
:lol: It is called GAS!

I feel from time to time this GAS inside me and rush to buy things in spite of my logical negative opinion! Sometimes, I have very nice surprises this way, but sometimes .... (ahem!). (I just did it today!! :oops: ) But, anyway, I'm thankful for Presonus because I don't have DAWs GAS anymore. I have just S1v3 (not even S1v2 !!) installed in both my desktop and laptop (with Reaper 5 as a helper/something different, which IMO is also an excellent DAW that would be my choice if S1 didn't exist :clown: )

Yeah. We all have a little bit of GAS I think. :hihi:

Mine has a pretty definitive financial range limit though, somewhere well under $100. :lol: I'll buy $10 iPad apps and cheap desktop software in the blind without even thinking about it. A $3-400 daw? Not really ever until I'm sure it works correctly on the system I intend to use it on. :lol: That also applies to the $199 or $149 version upgrades.

The only daw I've ever sold in my life was Logic, which had no demo. It ran fine but I wasn't inclined to invest in a desktop Mac.

"How many times have you spent hundreds of dollars for software only to be discouraged because it didn't run well for you and when that happened... why did it happen?"
Not so much , TBH i have buy without demoing S1V3 because the V2 was stable and i have think V3 will be too.
Same thing could be said about cubase also
Personnaly , everything is fine since i moved to cubase .
But i can imagine some people have crash / bug with cubase (just the way i had the same thing with S1V3).
I feel from time to time this GAS inside me and rush to buy things in spite of my logical negative opinion! Sometimes, I have very nice surprises this way, but sometimes .... (ahem!). (I just did it today!! :oops: ) But, anyway, I'm thankful for Presonus because I don't have DAWs GAS anymore. I have just S1v3 (not even S1v2 !!) installed in both my desktop and laptop (with Reaper 5 as a helper/something different, which IMO is also an excellent DAW that would be my choice if S1 didn't exist :clown: )
I can understand your point of view , S1V3 is an excellent DAW , everything is easy and can be achieve with it , but too much unstable for me.But i can imagine to stay under s1v3 if it was stable as v2

GAS? No. Wanting something to work and not having things that don't? ;)

W/O the long and boring story, I've now had TWO hosts in recent years that worked better than studio one in a "stability/not CPU spiking/crap not working" capacity. Until recently, I owned S1. I made my case for features, improvements, what did/didn't work, and about a year ago what I started to get was "the company line" and if you are against it, FU.

It got so bad, I just ditched it and moved on. So, why am I posting here? Well, because it has nothing to do with "GAS" and has everything to do with a great concept that became more about a handful of people that are not having issues and less about people who are.

Anyways, I won't make any other posts here, but the GAS comment is wrong beyond wrong. It's about someone who has ideas musically and can't get that from studio one because of annoying issues that persist even though it's well documented it's not just one person.

incubus wrote:
It got so bad, I just ditched it and moved on. So, why am I posting here? Well, because it has nothing to do with "GAS" and has everything to do with a great concept that became more about a handful of people that are not having issues and less about people who are.

Anyways, I won't make any other posts here, but the GAS comment is wrong beyond wrong. It's about someone who has ideas musically and can't get that from studio one because of annoying issues that persist even though it's well documented it's not just one person.
OK for you it wasn't GAS. So have you downloaded the trial version? It was for 30 days fully functional right? Did you have these issues then?
Anyway, if S1 makes troubles in my setup (like in your situation), I would have done the same and aborted it (as I did with other DAWs before), but maybe I'm lucky that everything just work for me in S1 :D

Also there is another important point (apply IMO for all DAWs). It depends on how you use it and what setup you have. For me, I'm hobbyist and I select my plugins carefully, depending on how they perform in my DAW. I mainly use an external hardware synth now and few soft synths/effects. For my setup S1 is super stable! I also use Windows 10 not a Mac.

After all, it is a free world. Choose the DAW that suits you most in everything. There is no right or wrong in that ;)

Choose the DAW that suits you most in everything
+1

I figured my comments would get twisted out of context. :hihi:

Sometimes, for reasons beyond my understanding, some software just doesn't work the same on every system. So before dropping a couple of hundred dollars, test it, becasue the demo is free. That's all. It's not an indictment of anyone nor a defense of any product, it's common sense really.

It's happened to me more than once where I demoed something that I thought I might really like and despite many other people humming along with nary an issue, crash city for me. Most notably, Adobe Premiere. So I didn't buy it. Sony Vegas otoh ran well during the demo so I did buy it, and I still demo before I buy an upgrade to make sure that stays true.

I don't waste any time worrying or talking about maybe why Premiere didn't work for me. Don't really care. I found a video editor that does, which is all that really matters. Why should I "trust" Abobe or any other company in the blind because their ads look cool, and just toss them few hundred bucks and hope for the best? I don't know them and I'm not rich. :lol: I trust what I personally observe.

I can't control what developers do but I can control what I do with my money, and way easier now than in the past when free demos were not so widespread. So I demo to - try to make sure - my money is well spent.

That path has served me pretty well because I never end up owning expensive software that doesn't run well, for me, on my systems.

Well, we all agree, a DAW may not be suitable for everyone.

But isn't that the case for just about everything(including spouses or sports cars). I would have to say that Studio One V2.6 is far from the "perfect" DAW even for me but it suits my workflow more than adequate compared to my "Other" DAW's.

I also remember those days when the only thing available was 4 track cassette...

Yeah, I'm a glass half full kinda guy. :wink:

If I were a glass half empty guy I'd have tons to gripe about with S1 feature wise. Especially given that the things I want the most almost nobody else wants... which doesn't bode well for my list of pet FR's. :(

It's kinda like drug rehab though, when you get to that "acceptance" stage you feel better. :hihi:

Lawrence wrote: ...Especially given that the things I want the most almost nobody else wants... which doesn't bode well for my list of pet FR's. :(
I could go for your requests any time as for others, I wish I could cut and paste this in some of the more outlandish FR threads that I peruse...

I forget sometimes... this is the internet, where every opinion is important NO matter what(even mine).

Studio One seems to be my goto at least for now all FR's aside.

Scottex wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:So expect at least plug-in management to be coming in 3.1
I'm expecting this too, we will see...
YEAH it's here as requested.

Studio One 3.1 is out :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”