What is the good "affordable" vst synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would save up for something from UVI. Not sure if it's not synthy enough but I love the sounds I get from it. http://www.uvi.net/en/ Or if you get/have Kontakt, there are many great synths that are cheap..again, not sure if that qualifies as a pure synth.

EnGee wrote:Lately I watched some videos about Hive. I really like it and I feel a regret now that I didn't buy it (with the generous discount by u-he). Sylenth1 might be a little bit more suitable for Trance, but Hive has many strengths as well.
Hive is amazingly easy to use. With a one window interface and only a couple tabs for fx and arp/seq, module presets, copy/paste, drag-n-drop modulation and the ability to quickly modulate almost every parameter, including most of the fx parameters, it is really fun and fluid to create sounds.

Spire is more diverse sound-wise but just uses too much CPU for what you get (imo). I've been hearing about the low cpu update for a very long time and would not buy it based on that promise.

Synthmaster is a very diverse but also complex synth. It is less expensive, but if I were buying and going to look at a more complex synth like Synthmaster, I would rather have Zebra. But if price is really the decider, then Synthmaster is a prime choice.

I think synthmaster plucks will let you down for progressive house, which depends on fuller toned plucks that cut through. Also it doesn't excel in supersaws or poly synths in general. You'll find a good assortment of basses and leads.

Need a warmer analogue sound for trance than Spire, Nexus, Hive etc can offer. For that, Strobe.
Having said that Spire can do trance well but Hive is a disappointment as is Hybrid unless you own Trash2 or a good waveshaper/distortion/convolution.
Spire's plucks have a lot of variety, Nexus do not unless you buy expansions. All supersaws (or poly leads) in Spire sound the same. Same with Nexus.

Kinh wrote:I
Need a warmer analogue sound for trance than Spire, Nexus, Hive etc can offer.
Hmm... I don't really agree with that. And regarding post processing, every synth needs a similar chain if you want that 'large' sound.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Kinh wrote: All supersaws (or poly leads) in Spire sound the same. Same with Nexus.
I don't think that's true, also you're comparing an actual synth with a ROMpler here. :lol:

nvm
:borg:

Robmobius wrote: And regarding post processing, every synth needs a similar chain if you want that 'large' sound.
:tu:

This is something that many of the "experts" around here overlook too often....

Turn the effects off in the some of those "recommended" synths and listen to what you really have there...

The raw truth coming from the oscillators and the filters would be quite a revelation for some folks :wink:
No auto tune...

fischkopf wrote:
Kinh wrote: All supersaws (or poly leads) in Spire sound the same. Same with Nexus.
I don't think that's true, also you're comparing an actual synth with a ROMpler here. :lol:
No, not at all. The factory preset library is how you gauge what the synth is capable of. In that sense a rompler is the actual synth.

Unless Im mistaken. Can you program supersaws that sound completely different to the factorys in Spire? Oh, Ok then.

Kinh wrote:No, not at all. The factory preset library is how you gauge what the synth is capable of. In that sense a rompler is the actual synth.
I usually gauge the capabilities of a synth based on its feature set, not some arbitrary selection of presets.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Thanks people!

So I think it kind of rounds up to be Sylenth vs Spire vs Synthmaster. They all look and sound great, so I'll give it a shot.

Likely though, I'll lean towards sylenth. I came from Reason and this is my first time using any VST, so sylenth itself would be a new thing. I tried Hive demo a while ago, though, something didn't really "catched" me. The demo itself wasn't too impressed nor the sound, compare to sylenth... maybe it's just me.

can't get any more affordable than freeware
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

wagtunes wrote: There is absolutely no synth in this price range (on sale) that's as good as as easy. You can get MUX for about the same price on sale but it's modular and can be a handful to really get into.
It doesn't have to be, MuSynth is pretty awesome and it is a full VA within MUX, and even baby steps from there gets great results, modifying presets, I think MUX is a great 'first synth' actually. You get a lot for a little $ and have plenty of room to grow.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

pdxindy wrote:
EnGee wrote:Lately I watched some videos about Hive. I really like it and I feel a regret now that I didn't buy it (with the generous discount by u-he). Sylenth1 might be a little bit more suitable for Trance, but Hive has many strengths as well.
Hive is amazingly easy to use. With a one window interface and only a couple tabs for fx and arp/seq, module presets, copy/paste, drag-n-drop modulation and the ability to quickly modulate almost every parameter, including most of the fx parameters, it is really fun and fluid to create sounds.
You have opened my appetite for honey! Going to download the demo of Hive and see by myself (not for Trance though).
I hope the demo doesn't generate noise like in Diva!

[update]
Oh man! I just read now in the user's guide that it generates mild noise after 2 mins of usage or something :( I think I will keep watching videos about it rather than installing it.

TAL-U-NO-LX - $60 and sounds great. http://tal-software.com/products/tal-u-no-lx

As mentioned a lot in this thread; Synthmaster really is a very good synth, and at a very nice pricetag too. Add to this a synth like Sylenth or Hive and you cover a lot of ground for EDM soundwise.
That's my 2 cents :)

Return to “Instruments”