The search for a Kurzweil K2000 piano soundalike VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been scouring up and down all over the place with no success to find a VST piano that is roughly around the same fit. At this point, I'm just ready to track one of these bad boys down, but I'm really not in the mood to slap down a wad of cash after a prolonged search.

A great example of the patch in question makes an appearance in Pink Floyd's Cluster One. I know it's not a terribly complex piano, but for some reason, I can't really find anything close. :neutral:

Is it the same sound as the one in the Kurzweil MicroPiano?

I'm the same, it's not a great sound, but I like it and it has a sound I like from when that was my only piano sound...

There's nothing like a Kurzweil in the software realm, really.

I wonder if you could get something close in Pianoteq? I was just listening and playing along with the PF track using the Pianoteq Bluethner model, and it sounded like a good starting point to tweak. Of course, I don't have a real K2000 to compare...
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 12.6 | MOTU 828es | MOTU M4 | Studio One 6 | Logic 10.7

EvilDragon wrote:There's nothing like a Kurzweil in the software realm, really.
Well, there is on my machine, as I have my MicroPiano sampled into Kontakt instruments :) (but I can't distribute it, obviously)

There may be a sample library out there with the K2000 piano sound in it, perhaps..?

I'f you have a link to an audio demo of the piano sound you're after, I'll see how close the MicroPiano comes...

Like I said, it's in the Floyd song Cluster One that can be heard here: http://youtu.be/XRqrpfzpTaA

Ah yes, the micropiano. I'd imagine if you had a K2000 hanging around, you'd already have that piano patch in its full entirety probably without the need for a module like the micropiano?

And I actually ended up finding the patches on a site somewhere, but of course the patches are in a proprietary file format which most likely won't be able to be converted into anything else.

Where are you located? I have a K2000 gathering dust over here which I'd be happy to sell...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I'm in New Hampshire. Nobody lives around here really :neutral: . But in the off chance you did, I'd be more than happy to buy it off you for sure :)

ultimatefloydian wrote:I'm in New Hampshire. Nobody lives around here really :neutral: . But in the off chance you did, I'd be more than happy to buy it off you for sure :)
Well, I'm in California. That's better than shipping to Europe or whatnot... PM me if you're interested.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

beely wrote:
Well, there is on my machine, as I have my MicroPiano sampled into Kontakt instruments :) (but I can't distribute it, obviously)
Eh, it's not quite the same. :)

EvilDragon wrote:
beely wrote:
The guy was talking about the Kurz piano sound, not a complete software replication of the K2000, which is *obviously* not the same... ;)

I thought K2000 units could be had really cheap now a days? I bought my K2000R a few years ago for something like 300$ (it included 3 SCSI hard disks, 2 SCSI CD-readers and more than 50 floppydisks! Also it was fully upgraded to max RAM and has the micpre board thing). I've always wanted one and now that I have one.. i rarely turn it on. :oops: :dog:

Man I'm so spoiled by software. But the nostalgia value itself is keeping me from selling it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

beely wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
beely wrote:
The guy was talking about the Kurz piano sound, not a complete software replication of the K2000, which is *obviously* not the same... ;)
My point is even if you sample the sound, it's not going to behave exactly as it does on the actual machine.

Sorry for beeing offtopic but maybe it's of interest for others too: I could get a working good looking K2000R for something around 240 EUR. Is the price okay nowdays?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

That's a pretty good price considering it used to have a zero on top in the 90s. :D

Return to “Instruments”