HELP!! Which files do i need to transfer to external hard drive to run vst plugins from external HD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So my macbook is running low on Space

so... Ive decided to transfer all of my vst plugins to an external HD. The problem is that their are so many files on each VST that i have no idea which ones to transfer to the external HD. Im planning to erase all vsts from my mac HD.

Im sure that i need to transfer all .dll files, license files, and library samples, but am i missing anything? I really dont want to erase everything from my mac then find out that the vsts wont work.

In short, which files/extensions do i need to transfer to my external HD so that all my vsts will work.

sorry if what im saying is a little redundant, i just want to make sure im making this clear.

im running windows 10 on my macbook btw.

8gb ram, 64 bit, fl studio(32 bit)

THanks fro any replies in advance

Matt

Since you mention you are running Windows -

When you installed some of your VST's, they wrote to the Windows registry. Moving them now may corrupt those installations and you will likely find your self without those VST's unless you re-install.

FOR BEST RESULTS:
It will be best that you uninstall, re-install, for best results. However, you're not going to save much space except for any that included sound libraries that can be installed to the external disk. .dll's and .fxb's, etc take up little room, so you will do a lot of work for basically no gain.

If you plan a re-install think it through first. The .dll's and sound libraries can be placed on any disk and then you point FL to those locations.

The main program though will want, or need, to be on the main HDD - drive C:\. Most I have ever installed do.

FOR AN EASY ATTEMPT:
You may want to try making a copy of the .dll's and putting them on the external and pointing FL to them - Most VST's will permit this (some will not work after moving but this is rare). Then isolate the originals (move them to a different folder for now). Then test to make sure the newly created .dll's work if FL.

Next, some of those VST's will allow you to move the sound libraries - some do not. Do the same, copy/paste to the external; isolate the originals; make sure they work in FL. You may need to point the VST to the new location.

Either way you go this will be heavy work to get all properly running. But it sounds like, from your post, that you have some experience with this sort of thing. That will make it a bit easier for you - less confusing. Still, either will be time consuming.

Don't try to short-cut it or you will just spend more time getting it done. IMHO the fastest, safest method will be uninstall, install.

Good luck :tu:

HTH

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

If it helps, this is my method for installing VST's

C:\ drive - Main program installation

1st external drive - I have a set up a folder for VST's - inside this, a folder for x32 and another for x64 - inside these, a folder for each each specific program; Native Instruments, Steinberg, Rob Papen, etc. - inside each of those, a folder for the specific VST .dll

I direct the installer to the appropriate folder for installation as needed.

2nd and additional external drives - Sound files and supporting files. Native instruments takes up a drive by itself because there are so many devs using Kontakt ( :hihi: )

Again, I direct the installer to the appropriate folder during installation process.

This keeps my C: drive to a minimum. On one computer I have a 250GB SSD. Using this method I have only used 50GB of space to date and have installed a lot of programs. A lot ;)

The trick is to install ALL data to the external drives and install ONLY what is necessary to the main drive. You really don't lose much time when accessing external drives (although some people are really anal about this ;) )

Cheers!
dsan

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

I wouldn't risk it. You're not likely to save that much space, and the risks far outweigh any small benefit you may get.

Samples, however, can and should be moved to another drive. These, by far, take up the most space, and are relatively easy to transfer -- just copy them over, then tell the instrument that plays them where they are.

With all that said, of course, if you are willing and able to uninstall all of your VSTs and "start over", then dsan has some good advice above. Good luck.

With most plugins all you need to do is open up your hosts settings and set the new location to scan for plugins. Then do a lot of waiting.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

only use synths and effects that don't use an installer.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Instruments”