Alchemy welcomes to Logic X Pro 10.2 and Mainstage 3 (Update 20.1.2016)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alchemy Logic Pro MainStage

Ah sorry I misread that

beely wrote:
Krakatau wrote:i was reluctant because of the loss of any upgrade policy as a regular owner of Logic 9
The full cost of LPX is basically the same price that the Logic major version upgrades used to be, so existing users don't really lose out in terms of moving to the next version.
This, I don't want to know how many thousands I spent on Logic upgrades over the decades.

When it comes for bang for the buck.... yes.... Logic (or MainStage if you doesn't need all of Logic's tools) might beat everything out there. Ony some of my most used iOS apps are on par here since you pay under 10 bucks sometimes while getting years of fun using it.
As complete package Logic is awesome. But often simpler things can be more useful and i prefer quality over huge content.
I sound a bit to less thankful.... i know ;) But for sure i gave apple a big bunch of my money in the last few years.
I try to think positive and will forgive them if they fix it in near future.
At least i must say their support when it comes to hardware defekts etc. is awesome!
There is a reason i use an iPhone, iPad and MacBook pro even when i'm not an huge apple fan :) All devices are great for creating music and works good together.
If they now would release an MacBook pro with integrated touch screen, dual boot (iOS and OS X) and the track pad would be a touchscreen itself (like the iPhone 6 plus).... i will be a fan for sure!
I know of course that creating music is still a small niche for them and i have to accept that!

Another positive thing i must say about Logic (yes i also say positive things) is that there are some old but awesome tools which are in a class of it's own like Sculpture, Delay Designer, Space Designer. Also some of the included synths are much better as they might look!
You could maybe replace some of them via third party plug-ins but that costs you more than Logic itself and doesn't sound that better indeed!

Sampleconstruct wrote:
This, I don't want to know how many thousands I spent on Logic upgrades over the decades.
i for one, cannot decently thinking differently, being on Logic Audio since 2.8 (if i still remember correctly...so far way in the past !!!!!!)

:dog: :dog:

Well, now that I am over my anger, what is the closest thing to Alchemy for PC?

Is it HALion 5? Is it Padshop Pro? Is it something else?

I'm ready for my "Alchemy" purchase.

I'm curious how Apple's sponsorship will affect the quality of sound design for Alchemy. It has been such an inspiring platform for many people.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

wagtunes wrote:Well, now that I am over my anger, what is the closest thing to Alchemy for PC?

I guess the most realistic way to approach this would be that you won't find a 1:1 replacement for Alchemy. :) But then, why not go for Halion, and have fun with it? Should at least give you MOST of what you can do with Alchemy.

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Well, now that I am over my anger, what is the closest thing to Alchemy for PC?

I guess the most realistic way to approach this would be that you won't find a 1:1 replacement for Alchemy. :) But then, why not go for Halion, and have fun with it? Should at least give you MOST of what you can do with Alchemy.
Would that be your choice if Alchemy didn't exist?

Not my kind of synth, so that question wouldn't even come up here. I just got by what i have gathered about both synths.

Krakatau wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
i for one, cannot decently thinking differently, being on Logic Audio since 2.8 (if i still remember correctly...so far way in the past !!!!!!)
I've had every version of Logic for every platform since version 1.7 (except I skipped Logic 3.0) and before that Creator & Notator.

And yes, Space Designer alone was £450, the EXS24 was £250, the ES2 £200 and so on...
There was a time a fully loaded Logic Platinum rig would have cost about 4 grand... and then Apple bought emagic, and the first thing they did was release Logic Pro 6.4, which bundled up all the paid-for extra instruments into Logic for free. And some people on the Alchemy thread thought Apple wanted to release Alchemy as a paid instrument... :dog:

beely wrote:
Krakatau wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
I've had every version of Logic for every platform since version 1.7 (except I skipped Logic 3.0) and before that Creator & Notator.

And yes, Space Designer alone was £450, the EXS24 was £250, the ES2 £200 and so on...
There was a time a fully loaded Logic Platinum rig would have cost about 4 grand... and then Apple bought emagic, and the first thing they did was release Logic Pro 6.4, which bundled up all the paid-for extra instruments into Logic for free. And some people on the Alchemy thread thought Apple wanted to release Alchemy as a paid instrument... :dog:
That makes indeed Logic today an even more impressive package. But apple can do this, other developers not.
Also we live in days where i can buy synths on my iPad f.e. for 10-20 bucks which sound as good (or sometimes even better) as 200 bucks desktop plug-ins.
No one would pay 100+ for an synth in the app store. People adopted the low prices and are whining if a really good app costs over 20 bucks even if it sounds like hardware.
Sure, this are still different worlds but in a not so far future it might be harder for third party developers to sell those plug-ins for such prices if you get such tools for free or a few bucks somewhere.
A company like apple doesn't suffer from this.
I have no problem to pay for a product if it's worth the price but i think it will be harder for companies which can't "gift" their stuff.
So as a producer is a nice future.... as developer i don't know?

Cinebient wrote:But apple can do this, other developers not.
Sure, they are in a fairly unique situation that others are not, while having to compete for the same customers. I can' imagine that Steinberg, Cakewalk, Motu and others are particularly happy about that situation.
Cinebient wrote:So as a producer is a nice future.... as developer i don't know?
There is no doubt that a number of things are contributing to the devaluation of software - not just apps and plugins, but sounds, tutorials, books, music, video and more. I don't think there is a short term solution for this, the market adjusts to where it needs to be - a decade back, software was pretty expensive, and now we've flipped probably too far in the other way - hopefully in time it will stabilise out somewhere in the middle.

The bottom line is, people want as much as they can, and want to pay as little as they can - this is ultimately harmful as people won't be able to afford to make and sell something good any more, so the customer ultimately suffers. We should therefore be happy to pay *higher* prices for quality, rather than complain that currently thing are still too expensive, because they really aren't. I just bought the Arturia iSem for the iPad for the price of a Starbucks latte...

beely wrote:
Cinebient wrote:But apple can do this, other developers not.
Sure, they are in a fairly unique situation that others are not, while having to compete for the same customers. I can' imagine that Steinberg, Cakewalk, Motu and others are particularly happy about that situation.
Cinebient wrote:So as a producer is a nice future.... as developer i don't know?
There is no doubt that a number of things are contributing to the devaluation of software - not just apps and plugins, but sounds, tutorials, books, music, video and more. I don't think there is a short term solution for this, the market adjusts to where it needs to be - a decade back, software was pretty expensive, and now we've flipped probably too far in the other way - hopefully in time it will stabilise out somewhere in the middle.

The bottom line is, people want as much as they can, and want to pay as little as they can - this is ultimately harmful as people won't be able to afford to make and sell something good any more, so the customer ultimately suffers. We should therefore be happy to pay *higher* prices for quality, rather than complain that currently thing are still too expensive, because they really aren't. I just bought the Arturia iSem for the iPad for the price of a Starbucks latte...
Totally agree here!!
I'm amazed what some synth can do for a price for a beer and i thought myself it's way to cheap.
I had Nave on my iPad (which even has there some additional features over the desktop plug-in) and i wanted it really on my MacBook.....
but now i can't spend 150€ for it since i just can plug-in my iPad via USB-lightning and record it like a hardware synth while i can do all kinds of automation via other apps at the same time if i want. At the end it sounds the same!
I see still are reason to buy plug-ins which are not possible in a mobile form like Omnisphere 2, huge Kontakt libraries etc. but those things will go there too one day maybe when mobile RAM and CPU grows.
Would be of course the best way like you said.... meet in the middle and just have a crossplatform product for all OS and devices and could choise where i would like to use it. I see a big future for such tools.
I still miss a good combination of expressive synths like Animoog with powerful synthesis like Zebra 2 f.e.
The few iPad remote apps which are available are far away from what could be possible.
However, will be an interesting future! :borg:

Software SHOULD be devalued. Since there's no ultimate accountability to the buyer for the endless beta quality (or worse). The computer industry needs to grow the hell up and stop screaming on with special pleading to excuse itself from the consumer protection standards of other product. Get the code writing process solid, put it through proper testing, and warrant that it does what it's intended to do (or your money back).

Instead, what's happening is that software is being used to destroy ownership of things that aren't historically computers. Myself and others have been screaming about it for years, but no one listened, and here's just one example of the reality that it is indeed going on:

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Instruments”