ILok my luck

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Against my better judgement I got Ilok after reading all the complaints, anyone got experience? I'm on win 10 with iLok 2 and can't put caps in the sign in auth as the plugin loads, i seen some scams in my time and this does really resemble one, shame on the companies using this shit, soz about the rant, they seen any lawsuit action yet?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Sounds like a Windows 10 issue.

I've had an iLok for months on my Win7 rig. Installed in minutes without any hassle. I transferred my licenses onto it, and it's worked flawlessly. I've never had an issue. Even plugged in next to an eLicenser, I've never had any conflicts.

wow, maybe i should be patient, could it be i have 2 windows boots, and ive used on both? gonna restart and see if any joy put the support tickets in but i been reading all the complaints and it does look like a system of extortion, should i cut my losses or are the companies using it that good and worth the hassle?

Its sorted ill explain my stupidness incase anyone else struggles, The user name box doesnt show if caps is on, so you may be doing opposite caps in the pw box that you cant see. silly me. @richiewitch is there any thing you recommend me checking out for ilok? i got it to try soundtoys

The licenses on my iLok are from Eventide, UVI, and iZotope. In my case, I don't *need* the dongle--these licenses only require that you have an iLok account, however, the dongle allows you to install the software on as many computers as you want. For example, you can plug it into your studio rig when composing, plug it into your laptop for performances, and plug it into your buddy's computer when you're working in his studio on a collaboration piece--even though he doesn't own the software. It's the transportability that makes it worth it to me.

That being said, Eventide's Ultrachannel is an *amazing* plugin. I use it on all my buses, or any single track where I'm having difficulty finding the right mix of plugins to get the sound I want. I really love it on recorded vocals, and acoustic and electric guitars. The switchable transformer distortion is something I really like on my tracks. It has an incredible variety of presets that will point you in the right direction no matter what kind of sound you're working with. It's highly customizable too.

UVI Workstation is a free sampler/rompler with some really great libraries. The libraries require an iLok account. Their vintage synth libraries are really fantastic, really well sampled, and I've also gotten a lot of use out of the World Traditions collection, for finding strange, other-worldly samples to add to electronic instruments. They often put their stuff on sale, so you can get a lot of content at a really low price if you watch their website. UVI Workstation is a solid performer and is CPU-light, so I've run multiple instances of it without any MIDI lag or drop-outs. And you can run up to four instruments in one instance, each receiving their own MIDI data.

BTW, for anyone else reading this thread, UVI will refund you the cost of an iLok dongle if you purchase it through them. They charge $49 for the dongle, but give you a $78 voucher to purchase their products. If you're thinking of buying some of their stuff anyway and would like to have a dongle, this is the way to go.

Thanks alot, yeah the way it makes your purchased vsts more portable does seem appealing, i was feeling like i just probably bought the last one by what i was reading online, apparently its all pretty much going dongle free by 2016. People are saying online that the dongles are built to fail so you invest in the no down time insurance you find this to be true?

Ill have to check out the Eventide, i find it easy top get suckered in and fall for marketing materials, always good to hear unbiased opinions.

Ill look into the UVI stuff too but i really dont seem to go to romplers too much, but i am regretting the way i bought just the dongle, i have noticed a few firms doing that sort of deal since, so i probably could of got a free plugin or 2 with the purchase if i looked about first.

I installed the McDSP pack last night to demo and found the size of these plugins to be HUGE in comparison to similar plugs from other brands? you know anything about them and why, had a little play with the Futzbox found it was really good quality but the plug did crash once (very rare for any crashes on my system). Very pricey but i think i will be getting some McDSP when the demo runs out.

The soundtoys has a good sound from what i heard last night, im still trying to decide whether to by though.

Yesterday i was feeling like i made a mistake investing in the iLok, today its not so bad, just having a collection of plugs that joey the crackhead cant get off piratebay feels nice and exclusive lol. Thanks for your time @RichieWitch Have a nice weekend

I haven't had any problems with mine and I have it plugged in right next to an eLicenser dongle (I love Vengeance Audio's stuff--and it requires that dongle). I was concerned the two of them might cause conflicts, but it's never been an issue, thankfully.

And I agree, there's something to be said for knowing that you're supporting the developers and that their products aren't being stolen and used for free.

I'm on the McDSP mailing list, but I haven't tried their stuff. I think by the time I discovered them, I had settled on a collection of plugins that really gel with me. I don't even download free plugins anymore unless some really cool new glitch plugin comes out. :hihi: I never get tired of finding new ways to mangle stuff.

I think the last plugin I bought was Waves C6 Multiband Compressor, because I really felt the ones I had were lacking, and Waves had an incredible sale going on. I'll probably pick up the Vengeance Audio multiband compressor eventually too, but that's more for all the crazy effects it can cause rather than bus compression or mastering.

I've heard a lot of good things about SoundToys, but haven't tried them either.

Glad some of this was helpful to you. Hope you get to spend some time in the studio this weekend. :phones:

BBZ wrote:Its sorted ill explain my stupidness incase anyone else struggles, The user name box doesnt show if caps is on, so you may be doing opposite caps in the pw box that you cant see. silly me.
Also the reason you registered here has BBZ? :lol:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Yeah lol , you see it, supposed to be missing the d, but I will add the d where ilok is concerned. Like mcDSP so far, probably go go with the mcDSP pack or native sound toys. Gonna milk the demos till I've made my mind up.

And @richiewitch. Yeah glitchy plugins good fun, i need to get me a stutter edit licence soon. I Find the reaktor user library is full of madness for free. :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”