Diva vs Analogue - a real world test

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva

sfd wrote:For the JMJ Lazer harp I suggest you read this review :-)
Once we're ready for a Laser Harp shoot-out, I hope you won't hesitate to join in with this one :clown:

#---

Until then, does anybody know if the (Elka) Synthex does PWM Crossmodulation only with the triangle waveform, regardless of what's selected? The Synthex manual says "the waveform of the oscillator", which I would understand to be whatever is selected, not just the triangle output. Dunno, don't have the hardware in front of me.

The Synthix 2 from XILS does the Laser Harp.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

To be clear...
it is this sound we are speaking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DlwQJX3qag

rsp
sound sculptist

Yes. Its originally an Elka Synthex patch.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

lol yes I think the yoot are definitely into Lazer Harp... :wink:
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

electro wrote:Yes. Its originally an Elka Synthex patch.
Originally made by Paul Wiffen - the grumpiest man in music tech... heh

Urs wrote:
sfd wrote:For the JMJ Lazer harp I suggest you read this review :-)
Once we're ready for a Laser Harp shoot-out, I hope you won't hesitate to join in with this one :clown:
I look forward to this. Urs and Xavier are probably the two guys most pushing forward analog qualities in software instruments with new DSP tech. Will be fun to hear the eventual u-he response to the algorithm Xavier put together for the Xils Synx2 (which is an amazing soft synth).

Well if someone wants an analog modelling experiment, nothing I've seen in software can emulate the Moog Prodigy's sync-bend sound (when oscillator sync is on, the pitch bend wheel only bends one oscillator for those searing hard sync sounds). With a range of oscillator intervals, that ripping sync sound is quite unique (and is the Prodigy's best sound). It's super grungy and aggressive, and makes other hard-sync patches sound pretty tame in comparison...

I'd love to find something that could do that, I kinda miss it (I don't have my Prodigy anymore...)

beely wrote:Well if someone wants an analog modelling experiment, nothing I've seen in software can emulate the Moog Prodigy's sync-bend sound (when oscillator sync is on, the pitch bend wheel only bends one oscillator for those searing hard sync sounds). With a range of oscillator intervals, that ripping sync sound is quite unique (and is the Prodigy's best sound). It's super grungy and aggressive, and makes other hard-sync patches sound pretty tame in comparison...

I'd love to find something that could do that, I kinda miss it (I don't have my Prodigy anymore...)
http://www.elektrostudio.ovh.org/?go=pro
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I have had it with that lazer harp. In my youth, watching the concert in china on video, I was amazed. Then 15 years after or so, I saw a video with a man (Paul Wiffen?) explaining it was a Synthex patch and he also claimed that the harp was a fake because the beams couldn't trigger it fast enough. It was like learning that Santa Claus doesn't exist. That until I recently read the wiki where it is claimed that it you could hear malfunction at a concert, why it cannot be fake. What a mess. Still not sure what to believe.

Here is from the wiki
Some people suspect the laser harp, as well as some other custom instruments, is a fake; careful inspection of concert footage of Jarre playing the harp occasionally indicates that striking the same beam produces different notes, suggesting that the harp is simply designed to trigger the next correct note irrespective of which beam is broken. However, this method is unreliable, as videos are invariably edited before release. As an example, in the live recording of the Paris La Défense concert as broadcast on the Europe 2 radio station, it can be clearly heard that the laser harp is malfunctioning, and in fact after a while gets replaced by a different synthesizer. In the video release, no trace is left of this malfunction. Also the harp is fitted with foot pedals for selecting scales, making it quite plausible that the same beam can trigger different notes.

IncarnateX wrote:It was like learning that Santa Claus doesn't exist.
Oh bummer! :dog: Sorry if I broke any illusions here. :clown:

beely wrote:
electro wrote:Yes. Its originally an Elka Synthex patch.
Originally made by Paul Wiffen - the grumpiest man in music tech... heh
Hmmm Paul wasn't grumpy at all when we tested together the Syn'x with a Synthex side to side, together with a Laser Harp in a French studio. ( Iirc he left a quote on the Xils site about this experience )

He's one of the most experimented men when talking about vintage software. He told me a thousand great stories aout that time, and it's like heaven to take a Pastis with him in a bar and listening to all that.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

beely wrote:Well if someone wants an analog modelling experiment, nothing I've seen in software can emulate the Moog Prodigy's sync-bend sound (when oscillator sync is on, the pitch bend wheel only bends one oscillator for those searing hard sync sounds). With a range of oscillator intervals, that ripping sync sound is quite unique (and is the Prodigy's best sound). It's super grungy and aggressive, and makes other hard-sync patches sound pretty tame in comparison...

You mean the one from Voodoo People? Well, here's quite a nice one from Adam Szabo in his second Sylenth1 soundset (at 2:20):

https://soundcloud.com/adamszabo/adam-v ... r-sylenth1

Is it very different to the sound of ARP Odyssey's sync-bend using the Osc2 coarse pitch slider? (as used by Billy Currie)

I don't run WIndows - as you've recommended this, does this do the sync bend that you hear in the first video well in your opinion?

Return to “Instruments”