Arturias thinking?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edouard Arturia wrote:Hello.

All the plugins who are not discontinued will be resizable.

Which means, all the plugins included in the VC4 plus the forthcoming new plugins.

Kindly

Edouard
Thanks for the info :D I might upgrade to the whole collection then :party:

Their lead DSP coder left to create XILS and that's a loss difficult to replace on a short notice for a small company.

Similarly, when Markus left for Tone2, reFX changed focus from synths to romplers, collaborating with reknowned synth programmers instead of DSP experts.

GHOST19 wrote:Their lead DSP coder left to create XILS and that's a loss difficult to replace on a short notice for a small company.
Does that mean that Origin is without a coder?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:
GHOST19 wrote:Their lead DSP coder left to create XILS and that's a loss difficult to replace on a short notice for a small company.
Does that mean that Origin is without a coder?

/C
Xavier Oudin wasn't their only coder, although I can admit that he was a very important one. And when Origin was launched, he was already out. OTOH, they launched SEM quite a while ago, as well as the Vox organ, and have been updating their synths since then. So, I don't think Xavier is behind that. They may have found someone else.

And Matrix-12 was planned since the time they launched Mog Modular V (it was to be their second emulation, and only because of legal issues was it replaced by the CS80). So, after having solve those problems (which was clearly the case since SEM was launched), a Matrix-12 emulation was a logic follower.
Fernando (FMR)

The DSP guy for the Matrix-12 posted here for a while - he also left Arturia just after the M12V was launched, so it seems they hired him for that project only, or at least his contract was finished once that product was done.

Interesting. With such small companies revolving around just one, two or three highly specialized experts, retaining employees should be a top priority. I mean, not only does an exiting lead programmer leave a black hole in the old company, with all the inside knowledge he can also create a fierce new competitor just like that.

It was the same with Luxonix / Sonic Cat. When their programmer left, they could not even fix bugs in their existing stuff anymore :P All they can do now is record sample content for Kontakt...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Interesting. With such small companies revolving around just one, two or three highly specialized experts, retaining employees should be a top priority. I mean, not only does an exiting lead programmer leave a black hole in the old company, with all the inside knowledge he can also create a fierce new competitor just like that.

It was the same with Luxonix / Sonic Cat. When their programmer left, they could not even fix bugs in their existing stuff anymore :P All they can do now is record sample content for Kontakt...
It is not only companies that are vulnerable; it is ultimately us as consumers. So much knowledge is wrapped up in the heads of a very small number of individuals in this business.

Please be careful crossing the road guys!

fluffy_little_something wrote:Interesting. With such small companies revolving around just one, two or three highly specialized experts, retaining employees should be a top priority. I mean, not only does an exiting lead programmer leave a black hole in the old company, with all the inside knowledge he can also create a fierce new competitor just like that.
Sure. But what can they do? If someone wants to leave, you can't force them to stay, nor restrict what they do afterwards (not *legally, anyway!)

It's all very well trying to create a company and a rewards scheme that's so good people won't want to leave, but people change, want to do different things, want to work with different people, want to move to different parts of the world, priorities change, and so on. If the employee is sick of carrot, or already has plenty of carrot, then waving more carrot in front of them isn't going to change much.

It's *absolutely* significantly disruptive when key people in small companies leave, but part of the requirement of a business is to be able to manage that kind of change, otherwise the business would just die.

lnikj wrote:

It is not only companies that are vulnerable; it is ultimately us as consumers. So much knowledge is wrapped up in the heads of a very small number of individuals in this business.

Please be careful crossing the road guys!
That's true even for larger companies. They tend to have small teams developing diferente projects. But since they usually also have supervisors which will keep having access to the code, and the team usually have several developers, they are less exposed. Nevertheless, the software business is very individualistic. One guy can do a lot of difference.
Fernando (FMR)

Numanoid wrote:
4damind wrote:Maybe they had some internal problems to finish products after Xavier Oudin left Arturia? He was with my knowledge the main developer for most of the older emulations and left Arturia 2005 to co-found Eiosis (together with Fabrice Gabriel) and later started with Xils (2008). It would not surprise me if Arturia hired him again to finish some products.
Thank for the info, I didn't know that, it seems like an explanation of it yes.
Interesting, I didn't know Xavier was with Arturia. I wonder which synths he had worked on with them back then?

Examigan wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
4damind wrote:Maybe they had some internal problems to finish products after Xavier Oudin left Arturia? He was with my knowledge the main developer for most of the older emulations and left Arturia 2005 to co-found Eiosis (together with Fabrice Gabriel) and later started with Xils (2008). It would not surprise me if Arturia hired him again to finish some products.
Thank for the info, I didn't know that, it seems like an explanation of it yes.
Interesting, I didn't know Xavier was with Arturia. I wonder which synths he had worked on with them back then?
well, I think definitely their Minimoog clone; if I remember rightly he was running the sockpuppet account here that kept doing negative comments and reviews of Minimonsta.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

beely wrote:
Sure. But what can they do? If someone wants to leave, you can't force them to stay, nor restrict what they do afterwards (not *legally, anyway!)

It's all very well trying to create a company and a rewards scheme that's so good people won't want to leave, but people change, want to do different things, want to work with different people, want to move to different parts of the world, priorities change, and so on. If the employee is sick of carrot, or already has plenty of carrot, then waving more carrot in front of them isn't going to change much.

It's *absolutely* significantly disruptive when key people in small companies leave, but part of the requirement of a business is to be able to manage that kind of change, otherwise the business would just die.
In some countries and industries there are laws prohibiting employees to work in the same area for a certain amount of time after leaving a company. But of course there are ways around such rules...

I doubt I would leave a company if I were happy there. Working around the world for the same company is also no problem these days thanks to the Internet.

whyterabbyt wrote:if I remember rightly he was running the sockpuppet account here that kept doing negative comments and reviews of Minimonsta.
Seriously? How did that come to light?

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:if I remember rightly he was running the sockpuppet account here that kept doing negative comments and reviews of Minimonsta.
Seriously? How did that come to light?

/C
He got caught.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5044913
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p2335927

Arturia's PR was that he was just 'giving his opinion as a programmer' unofficially.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p3222967

The fact that that 'opinion' included a KVR product review, and it took a mod to confirm the Arturia connection because it wasnt being admitted, makes me think differently.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

fluffy_little_something wrote:In some countries and industries there are laws prohibiting employees to work in the same area for a certain amount of time after leaving a company. But of course there are ways around such rules...
yeah, I know, and there are also some issues with talking company knowledge to a competitor, but there are also difficulties with this legally (look at the Apple/Google antitrust thing)
fluffy_little_something wrote:I doubt I would leave a company if I were happy there.
Sure. But sometimes, even if you are happy, you go "You know, ten years is enough here, I fancy something different" or want different challenges and people to work with. Some people are happy being comfortable, some people need to continually push to progress and thrive by moving forward every few years. Different strokes, and all. The thing to do as a business manager is understand the type of people you have working for you, what motivates (and de-motivates them) and try and find ways to keep them invested in their current position...

Return to “Instruments”