VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ultra Analog VA-2

Still white text, huh? Sigh.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Why is this synth rarely mentioned when it comes to the big ones? It is incredibly complete and sounds very good.
I used to have the demo on my computer a long time ago, so I can no longer test it, but how would you people rate it compared to other synths in that price range (100-200 bucks)? Especially in terms of sound quality (aliasing?) and CPU load (it does not have 0df filters, right? what about internal oversampling?)...

The sound is quite good. But the GUI is slowing down my workflow. Somehow it's not intuitive. It seems like they tried to pack eveything in a very small window, so even small tablets or old VGA screens are able to show it ;)
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I like UA2 very much but its price should be around the $99 mark.
It sounds really nice and you can get a lot out of it but at $199, a synth like Diva has a lot more value. But I guess the regular price is just a means to have a higher discount during the sales ...
CPU load is reasonable. Most patches are in the 5-10% mark on my 4th gen i7.
And I'm glad they listened to customer feedback and made the GUI bigger. (but still so many tabs!)
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Karten wrote:I like UA2 very much but its price should be around the $99 mark.
It sounds really nice and you can get a lot out of it but at $199, a synth like Diva has a lot more value. But I guess the regular price is just a means to have a higher discount during the sales ...
CPU load is reasonable. Most patches are in the 5-10% mark on my 4th gen i7.
And I'm glad they listened to customer feedback and made the GUI bigger. (but still so many tabs!)
I have no idea of 4th gen i7. How much do other synths use on your computer? Sylenth or Diva for instance?
Is there aliasing?

What value do you mean? The more analog sound of Diva? I am not really into that whole analog thing, I just want it to sound solid and free of noise. Would it give me anything Sylenth doesn't? Both have complete effect sections for instance, but the reverb can sound a bit metallic on Sylenth. UA on the other hand does not seem to have a mod matrix.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I have no idea of 4th gen i7. How much do other synths use on your computer? Sylenth or Diva for instance?
Sylenth is about 2-3% here and Diva anywhere between 5 and 65% :lol:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Is there aliasing?
None that I ever noticed.
fluffy_little_something wrote:What value do you mean? The more analog sound of Diva? I am not really into that whole analog thing, I just want it to sound solid and free of noise. Would it give me anything Sylenth doesn't? Both have complete effect sections for instance, but the reverb can sound a bit metallic on Sylenth. UA on the other hand does not seem to have a mod matrix.
Well it's not called "Ultra Analog" for no reason. If you're not into "that whole analog thing", why are you even looking at UA2? And I wouldn't try to compare it to Sylenth. Having both (and done a soundbank for both), UA2 is more "raw" than Sylenth ever will be. I happen to like the filters in both but UA2's sounds very different to my ears.
Regarding the effects I can't really tell as I almost always use other plugins. I haven't used either in a little while so I'd rather not write about the effects than write something wrong.
And to elaborate about my comparison with Diva, I'd say Diva is longer in the tooth but UA is more immediate. At least to me.

Oh, so it uses about 3x as much CPU as Sylenth :? Bummer...

Why? Well, because 50 Euros seems like a bargain for such a complete synth and also because I simply like my other AAS stuff :)

I do like the analog type of sound, but I don't need it to be 100% authentic. I like the Oberheim sound for instance and it seems to me that UA might be better at full-bodied brass pads and basses and things like that, relative to Sylenth, which always has a fine, polished, bright touch to it somehow (which I also like, don't get me wrong).

UA also has a few details that I miss in Sylenth, for instance the delay and fade knobs for the LFO's. Those things are rare on any synth, but useful.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/06 ... -2-review/
In the 3rd and 4th paragraph of the Under the Hood section they mention DC offset and audio glitches.
Have those problems been solved meanwhile?

Funny, I think I have come across such audio glitches in String Studio as well. Sometimes there are notes which sound totally different from all the others, as if the key were broken, were it a real instrument. I don't know if that is intentional, but it is odd.

I have missed this since the day I sold it, the V2 UI is nice and all but I do wish the arp got more options, like lock to song position. I mean to pick it up when I find it reasonable priced and I'm not reasonably broke.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Since there is no mod matrix, how does one modulate volume and cutoff with velocity? It seems hardwired like on the ancient SuperWave P8, which would be a total bummer for a $200 synth...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Since there is no mod matrix, how does one modulate volume and cutoff with velocity?
Both filter and VCA have their own envelopes which can be controlled through velocity.

Karten wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Since there is no mod matrix, how does one modulate volume and cutoff with velocity?
Both filter and VCA have their own envelopes which can be controlled through velocity.

What I mean is, it seems hardwired to 100% sensitivity. I see those two vel knobs on each envelope panel, but they modulate the time according to the manual. In other words, say, I don't want any vel sensitivity for the amp volume, where do I set it to zero?

Just set both vel knobs on the amp envelope panel to zero.

I have a love/hate relationship with the new window interface in this version. There are now pages in pages on tabs it seems. I like the one window interface and think they simply should have given a couple size options, maybe even tabs if someone really prefers them. Sound wise I don't think they changed anything, so if I had v1 I'm not sure it would be so compelling to upgrade. A more featured arp would have been a welcome addition. But anyhow, when I see it for $30 somewhere, I'll pick it up because I like how it sounds. Ui helps or hurts synths greatly, I never could get used to programming Analog in Live. I would constantly get confused. I had no big issues with UA though. And the presets seemed more helpful too. Just the GUI was tiny.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Although I don't have such GAS for soft synths, but I think I don't have the sound of Ultra Analog.

It sounds interesting, I'm going to run the demo and see by myself. Let's see what can I find, I like a lot Richard Devine's sound design as well, but I will try to not be affected by his sounds. Oh, Ok, the demo is ready, going to have some fun with it. I hope it doesn't have noise restrictions like in Diva :pray:

Return to “Instruments”