iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Battle Cat wrote:Is there a way within Iris to have it save a copy of all samples used in the current patch to a new location? What is the recommended practice for sample storage in relation to Iris use?

I ask because I moved some of my samples and when loading the patch I had to replace them individually. not so bad as it was just a few, but I could see it being an issue for a larger scale move.
Yes, the Export function is your friend here, I embed all samples directly into each patch to avoid missing sample errors in the future. Note, that in Iris 2 you always have to use the Export function again once you have edited a patch, otherwise the sample will get lost again, that's different from the workflow in Iris 1, where you can use the normal save-function once you have edited a patch which already contains samples.

I found 2 more bugs in Iris 2 yesterday while making that guitar patch:

Modulating (or trying to modulate) delay time with a square-shaped LFO produced totally garbled audio and there was no way to get it right, so I guess that's broken too.

Copying+pasting a sample from S1 -> S2 didn't work, it only worked if there was already a sample contained in S2, which of course is totally silly.

So let's summarize the Iris 2-issues in one post again:

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behaviour is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They were thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue (but never did), the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level but often that sounds just bad, because as soon as you play a new note the send level rises again and you will hear leftovers from the previous notes being send to the FX.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc.

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO seems to be broken.

*Copying + pasting a sample/sample+spectral selection from one oscillator to another only seems to work, when there is already a sample present in the slot you want to paste the sample into.

From your list here is what I'm finding:

1.sample and hold are modulating. I first thought that they were not or were only sporadically until I turned up the rate. However it was clear it was modulating. I was able to modulate the rate of the sample hold lfo as expected.
2. still checking on that logic.
3-8. No basis for comparison.
9. I am able to modulate the delay time, even with square lfo. Many, if not all, of my delay style plugins have an awkward transion while tweaking delay times while sounding. I found that disabling sync within the delay, enabling analog, keeping the depth of modulation modest and keeping the time function dial within the delay left of 12 o'clock gave the best results on the patches I am working on. This may vary depending on source material though.
10. I had zero issues copying sample and/or sample +spectrum into slot 2 when no sample was present.

I tested your list with the standalone 64 version on a windows machine.
Can anybody else confirm?
BC

So maybe the delay time modulation and copy/paste issue are only related to Yosemite/Mac then. You can not modulate the rate of the random LFO with a Macro only with en external Midi controller, that's a confirmed bug. And often/occasionally it decides not to modulate (it just holds and doesn't sample), that's also a confirmed bug.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just retested the sample hold, modulating fine here, tested with and without a midi controller, worked on every parameter I assigned it to. 2.01.363
BC

Ok, tested the modulating of the rate and the same hold itself, did not test macro, sorry for confusion,
BC

So it seems most bugs have to do with macroing? (Which I've yet to delve into.)
BC

Just to toss a little 8-pointed star of Chaos on this topic:

Iris has weird reactions to specific DAWs on Mac. In eXT, for example, the UI doesn't appear at all. While comparing findings, it might be worth stating the machine, OS AND the DAW for clarity.
Anger is a sublimated desire for control.

How is the CPU load of Iris2?

I read in their webpage that it requires a bit.

Is it enough with 4GB RAM, and i3 processor?

I had a really simple question but after a while I figured it out.

I have fear about Iris 2
They announced now that RX5 is coming after 1 Year.

So maybe Iris 3 is coming also shortly ? :S

I hope not
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:I have fear about Iris 2
They announced now that RX5 is coming after 1 Year.

So maybe Iris 3 is coming also shortly ? :S

I hope not
I was going to make an Iris 3 post but you beat me to it!
I however will welcome Iris 3 if it became mutitouch and included
a new and interesting feature set. And a piano type or an
alternative keyboard that includes velocity sensing (by strike location).
This will perhaps motivate me to get a multi-touch 27" to 32"
multi-touch monitor. But then again the 12.5" iPad Pro is just
around the corner so I will have to decide which way to go.

The upgrade path must be at a reasonable cost.

I suppose I am a sucker for new and better except for Windows 10. :lol:

What I would like to see in Iris 3 is more randomizers in the
tradition of Absynth.

They certainly got a lot of feedback from KVR users about what SHOULD be in Iris :-)
They could win back a few friends if they include all the cool stuff requested and offer a cheap upgrade path from 2....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”