Line 6 Helix

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am not a modeling fan, but I got to play one of these and I was impressed. The editor and routing setup are just about perfection. And it sound pretty damn good. It doesn't have that compressed/constricted sound PODs have. Anyone else thinking of taking the plunge on one?

Uncle E, you guys going to get some in any time soon?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Yeah, I'm very deviously thinking about getting one in due time. It looks like it's a freaking tank, and all those displays and lights... awesome.

I was expecting to go hohum like I do with pretty much all the modeling boxes. Kempers are great if not a bit overly complicated. But, the models on the Helix sound really good and dynamic. It still has a tiny bit of the constricted/hairy thing ... but by the time you dial it in, it disappears under the noise floor. You could probably get solid studio grade recording DI for a crap load of tones.

For live I'm not sure you could tell. At least based on the 45 minutes Ibeat on the thing it seems that way.

At first, I completely wrote off the Kemper thinking it was just too expensive for yet another simulation.
After talking to some locals who were using it (and hearing the results), I started thinking of the gear it could replace (both live and studio), how much it would reduce my live cartage, and the convenience of recording guitar/bass. All those things factored in, (for me) the Kemper was easily worth the cost.

I saw/heard the Helix at Sweetwater's Gearfest 2015.
It was so busy... I never got to actually sit/play thru it.
Based on what I'm seeing/hearing, I'm definitely interested.
The control and FX alone are very nice.
If the models feel/respond as well as quality profiles on the Kemper, Line-6 will have a runaway success.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

This can't be the best new thing yet.
BIAS hasn't finished being the best new thing yet.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

I really like the Helix+FRFR setup. I think it's smart.

I'm actually opposed to "reamping" of which I've done with many multi-effect dsp > amp situations in the past. On my yamaha THRC the godsend is that I can record dry and wet into my daw using separate channels yet what I'm hearing is the wet signal only. Afterwards I can choose to go with the original thrc amp sim sound or having a clean signal introduce various other vst effects/amp sims. (mostly I just go with the THR and I'm happy)

I would have died for an FRFR back in my gigging days
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:I really like the Helix+FRFR setup. I think it's smart.

I'm actually opposed to "reamping" of which I've done with many multi-effect dsp > amp situations in the past. On my yamaha THRC the godsend is that I can record dry and wet into my daw using separate channels yet what I'm hearing is the wet signal only. Afterwards I can choose to go with the original thrc amp sim sound or having a clean signal introduce various other vst effects/amp sims. (mostly I just go with the THR and I'm happy)

I actually reamp back through real amps because sims just sound like crap in comparison. It's just too damn convenient to use sims. And in a mix, it's not a problem. If you multi-track a bunch of times, it's not a problem. But a single guitar that has to carry the song ... ick.

Feature wise they nailed it, as a Kemper owner since the beginning I'm happy with my choice especially for the studio, but if this was around at the time and the sound and feel stacked up I would be all over it.

afcollett wrote:Feature wise they nailed it, as a Kemper owner since the beginning I'm happy with my choice especially for the studio, but if this was around at the time and the sound and feel stacked up I would be all over it.
Kemper was on my short list for studio use. I know several people who swear by them. But, for live use I don't know how you could beat this setup if it actually sounds as good as it seems it does.

The Kemper remote is $600.
I'd rather put that toward the Helix.
If the Amps are in the realm of Axe-FX and Kemper... Helix will be super popular.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

SJ_Digriz wrote:
tapper mike wrote:I really like the Helix+FRFR setup. I think it's smart.

I actually reamp back through real amps because sims just sound like crap in comparison. It's just too damn convenient to use sims. And in a mix, it's not a problem. If you multi-track a bunch of times, it's not a problem. But a single guitar that has to carry the song ... ick.
In that situation I would take the amp sim out of the mix and just use the standard FX. My best live years were using a Traynor YBA clean. One setting works all night for Jazz and Blues the rest is in your fingers.

Even today I barely use anything past a crunch. I find attempting to reamp after a sim to push aliasing artifacts out over the top and it requires something like a noise gate and additional eq / multiband compression to bring things inline. I hate noise gates.

I seriously think anyone who doesn't embrace modern "modeling" has their head in the sand

yes, TOOB amp tone-snobs, I'm looking at you
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I'm not opposed to the current amp sim technology. I embrace it. I just prefer not to send a guitar line into an amp (or sim) pre and post stages then through another amp (and or sim) to reshape (reamp) the same signal

tapper mike wrote:I'm not opposed to the current amp sim technology. I embrace it. I just prefer not to send a guitar line into an amp (or sim) pre and post stages then through another amp (and or sim) to reshape (reamp) the same signal
reamping to me is to use a dry track, not to send an already processed track out to an amp. I can't imagine doing so would sound very good.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”