is the grand 3 worth 32 gb of precious ssd space?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Grand

I am downloading it to an external back up drive now, just to have the installer, but it's the largest of all the absolute vst 2 collection and I am wondering if it's worth it. What do you guys think of it?

My other pianos include the toontrack ez keys grand and upright, and the complete addictive keys collection from xln audio.

With groove agent 4 and the grand i am thinking to just sell all my xln stuff. I mean i do EDM most of the time let's face it.

I would like to keep ez keys cause i like it's midi scratch pad and then i can drag and drop the midi file and assign it to any piano i want anyway. So that one will stay.

Is the grand good enough to be "the one" piano for all tasks? pop and dance mainly? (with some new age melodic stuff now and then and a ballad for a friend here or there).

With plans to upgrade komplete at the next sale, and my strong desire to minimise, i am not really wanting to install gb's and gb's of komplete pianos and the grand as well.. which one would you pick?

The overall aim is simple - i have bestservice ethnic collection, peter's complete orchestral collection (won't even attempt his last name lol), steinberg absolute 2 collection, real guitar 3 trio for guitars, arturia v collection 4 for analog synths, and K8 standard for a bit of everything with a view to UG to ultimate. And i intend to never buy another instrument again, or at most, one every 2 years. The only ones i am actually ever considering in future at this stage are diva and poly ana. That's it. For real. For FX i have cubase/logic, slate all + relab, acon all but defilter, and t racks complete. I really feel this covers absolutely everything also. I only might add freeware here or there for special stuff like a pattern gate for example. But no more buying. Oh i do have ozone 5 for mastering and toneboosters d esser for de essing. I mean they are more or less essentials. I am trying to stick to stuff i seem to actually use, alot. Arturia gives me such a variety as does steinberg, i wonder if i even need to ever upgrade komplete.. i mean, i have now steinberg orchestral strings and the peter collection, surely that's plenty for pop and edm. But i am concerned that komplete 8 might not correctly install on yosemite, i need to look into that.
I have so much stuff to sell that i never use it makes me sick. I am so glad i am over the compulsiveness of 15 years pattern. Guess what, the absolute collection upgrade was the first synth i bought in 2015 :)

Anyway, back to the Grand, yay, or nay? awesome, good, average, or shite? Sound on sound seems to like it alot, which is a good start at least.

TIA!

Because of this I prefer pianoteq, IMHO the sound difference is not enough to justify so many gb of SSD space.
dedication to flying

Good point. And i also need to headbutt myself, see what I mean.. i forgot i also have pianoteq stage already (V4 i never felt i needed to upgrade to 5).

:dog:

Oh well I am going to install it today and do a head to head with pianoteq... will see what comes out of it! 32GB is alot, yes. A hell of a lot.

Could pianoteq really possibly live up to that sort of detail though? We will see!

Well you could always go for Ivory Pianos...

The American Concert D and the Italian Grand take up 73GB of HD space here...

But they sound bloody good !

I also LOVE the NI/Galaxy "The Grandeur" for so many reasons...That is a superb sounding grand piano and it weighs in at a very modest 4.9GB in compressed format..It is so well recorded and sits great in any mix...

Don't get me started on the few BFD2 libraries I use...

They take up around 250GB of HD space...

But once again,they sound fantastic and are worth every GB of that space...

HD's are so cheap these days,that it's better to just use what sounds good and get on with the job I reckon :wink:
No auto tune...

My 2€ ;)..
The main consideration nowadays between the different sampled pianos (provided you already like its basic sound, of course ;) ), is the way they play for you (therefore largely subjective). (does the piano's dynamics suit your playing style?). And of course, the only way to find out is to try it ;). I've been bitten a couple of times.. great basic sound, but no amount of tweaking could convince my fingers that I was playing a piano. The Grand 3 is one of the better ones in that respect (.. for me ;) ). If there is one thing you absolutely cannot fault Pianoteq for, it is its playability (but do consider upgrading to V5.. well worth it.. if you remain within the same version, e.g. Pianoteq 4 Standard > Pianoteq 5 Standard, it's only 29€ anyways ;) )
So, if you have the disk space (and the time ;) ), install The Grand 3 (it reads like you've already bought it anyways?).. you can always delete it if you are disappointed.
I did get a life,once...but it was faulty, so I sent it back.

You are abandoning retail therapy after all these years Theo? Really?

I will miss your in depth analyses of the pros and cons of various plugins you are considering purchasing.

lnikj wrote:You are abandoning retail therapy after all these years Theo? Really?

I will miss your in depth analyses of the pros and cons of various plugins you are considering purchasing.
never said i wouldn't demo! :)

Will still give plenty of opinion believe me :)

Return to “Instruments”