Which Arturia synth & Valhalla reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aryaroman wrote:If anyone, I think it's Jan Hammer, who doesn't receive enough recognition for his influence on the retro sound so many want to sound after today. Could the SEM V pull off both, that atmospheric heavenly soft lyricality and swingy attitude, a sound that defined the sound of a single TV-series and in part, a whole era for many?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfgf9HatIHI
Quite long ago i had craeted a "remix" of Crockett's theme uisng Xils Lab V+ (= Roland VP-330 emulation) and Xils Lab Oxium (including the drums):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0Remix.mp3

The track is not a 1:1 copy of the original one so it sound a bit different (both the notes and sounds).
With some of the FXs that i got today i guess this could have sounded better.

AFAIK Jan Hammer used a Fairligt and DX7 quite often.

There is also an intrerestiung version of Crockett's theme by Kebu (i got the album from Kebu at iTunes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCQmNMOqUY
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

chk071 wrote:I've only just watched Blade Runner for the first me some years ago, and couldn't quite get the fuss about it either. Maybe you really got to have watched it in the time it came out. Don't get me wrong, not a bad film, but neither the film itself, nor the soundtrack seem extraordinary legendary to me. Not a big fan of Vangelis in general though.

+1 to Alien btw. It's absolutely awesome considering its age. And also a good example that you don't need one of those nowadays hundreds of millions productions to make a good film. Quite a different one compared to Blade Runner though. It's a game, but i'd rather compare Blade Runner to Deus Ex. It's different to that too, but it really delivers that nice futuristic sci-fi atmosphere. Maybe Minority Report could be compared to Blade Runner too, i quite liked it.
1+ to Deus Ex :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnYwLZc ... 526934FD97

True, Alien is different, but they're both sci-fi (Alien less so) and directed by Ridley.

Always get goose bumps when i hear that track. :) Btw, if you didn't know, there's supposed to be a "remake" coming out soon which enhances the graphics, levels (some are much larger than in the original Deus Ex...) and adds another soundtrack (based on the original music which they couldn't implement due to copyright, but which is also very good) to the game: http://www.dx-revision.com/website/ Gonna be pretty huge i think, although i would have loved to see it in a more modern engine.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:I've only just watched Blade Runner for the first me some years ago, and couldn't quite get the fuss about it either. Maybe you really got to have watched it in the time it came out. Don't get me wrong, not a bad film, but neither the film itself, nor the soundtrack seem extraordinary legendary to me. Not a big fan of Vangelis in general though.
It never did much for me, either. I get it was quite unique, not much sci-fi back then was "grungy", and the aesthetic, both visual and audio, are pretty great - even the story is interesting, but the film never did connect with me very well.

I know it's unpopular to be a cult sci-fi fan and *not* like Bladerunner, but there it is. I appreciate it's an important sci-fi film though, just not a favourite... (And yes, I did see Star Wars at the cinema when it came out...)

Ingonator wrote:Quite long ago i had craeted a "remix" of Crockett's theme uisng Xils Lab V+ (= Roland VP-330 emulation) and Xils Lab Oxium (including the drums):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532 ... 0Remix.mp3

The track is not a 1:1 copy of the original one so it sound a bit different (both the notes and sounds).
With some of the FXs that i got today i guess this could have sounded better.

AFAIK Jan Hammer used a Fairligt and DX7 quite often.

There is also an intrerestiung version of Crockett's theme by Kebu (i got the album from Kebu at iTunes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCQmNMOqUY
It's quite different from original, a bit funkier. The bass has a nice driving feel to it. But seriously, you and that Kebu-guy sure have way more talent than many mainstream EDM-artists. :clap: Maybe Kebu is too hipster though? :lol:

@beely, perhaps the popularity of Blade Runner just peaked when it was re-released as director's cut and now it's halo is starting to wear off. I dunno. Many people I know, who lived in the eighties and went to movies, don't even remember Blade Runner, even people who are or were otherwise big movie-fanatics. The best film of 1982 for me, is arguably Tootsie. And what a great movie that is.

Currently i am using this combination of plugins in Live 9 project:

- Arturia Matrix-12V
- ValhallaVintageVerb (will also try with Lexicon MPX native Reverb later that i got with the recent sale)
- Waves OneKnob Phatter Bass enhancement/boost plugin

In the current project i am using 2 layered pads and 1 Synth Brass as a Lead sound (all 3 my own patches) and in all 3 instances i am using both OneKnob Phatter and VVV Reverb (with my own presets).

Does not sound really "thin" that way (while i do not think that Matrix-12V sounds really bad without those additional effects). I am using OneKnob Phatter with most plugins that could need a better low end. Feature wise it does not really seem to be possible to replace Martix-12V anyway and the plugins that come close feature wise have a different sound.

Att he "VOICES" page of Matrix-12V for each of the 12 voices you could set a zone, tuning in semitones and cents, volume and panning. The Unison could go up to the full 12 voices (depedning on which voices you have activated).

While with the many features (e.g. 15 filter modes), tons of modulation options (5 ENVs, 5 LFOs and more) you could create very complex sounds the synth also works nicely for "bread and butter" sounds.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I like VRoom and it's straightforward.

beely wrote: I know it's unpopular to be a cult sci-fi fan and *not* like Bladerunner, but there it is. I appreciate it's an important sci-fi film though, just not a favourite... (And yes, I did see Star Wars at the cinema when it came out...)
Maybe it's just me, but Blade Runner catched me right away from the beginning. And I still think it aged well, much better than Alien, BTW. Right from the beginning Alien irritated me because of the inconsistencies in the script (what annoys me more in sci-fi movies are script inconsistencies). Blade Runner, OTOH, has a very well written and consistent story, and Scott created the right atmosphere for the film. Considering the time it was done on, I think it did a great job.

Vangelis music may not be his brightest moment, but is still ahead of Jan Hammer, IMO. It's a soundtrack, and as such, it is mostly "ambient", and helps in creating the right mood for the film. It integrates superbly in it, IMO, and that's probably why it is so revered. I am admittedly a Vangelis fan, though, so maybe biased in my POV. but one thing that appeals to me is that he never concedes to the "pop" side. Sorry for the off-topic. What was it? Ah yes, tha Arturia synths. Yes, I too am in favour of getting the whole package. I think the whole is a great bang-for-the-buck.
Fernando (FMR)

I like both Alien and Blade runner, but Alien IMHO is the better movie and way ahead of it's time. Blade runner is consistent and has a good script but it feels bland here and there, specially the end.
dedication to flying

fmr wrote:Maybe it's just me, but Blade Runner catched me right away from the beginning. And I still think it aged well, much better than Alien, BTW. Right from the beginning Alien irritated me because of the inconsistencies in the script (what annoys me more in sci-fi movies are script inconsistencies). Blade Runner, OTOH, has a very well written and consistent story, and Scott created the right atmosphere for the film. Considering the time it was done on, I think it did a great job.
Inconsistent script? :o I always thought Alien was both a visually pleasing, but also a classically coherent and straightforward film, whereas Blade Runner is a distant visual marvel and underneath that, a film seemingly mutilated in the cutting room, which is ironic, considering how the script mutilated the material it's based on. It drags from one scene to another, without time to develop the characters, then suddenly, it ends. A film I'd like to like, but can't find anything to grip off. But I guess Prometheus is the worst of Ripley's films in case of incosistent scripts. Not to mention the the soundtrack by M. Streitenfeld had few highlights compared to Jerry Goldsmith's score.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, but SEM V demo(s) sound great and it seems to have great presets too. I think I'll go with it and VVV.

For Bladerunner, over 400,000 people on IMDb came to an 8.2/10 star decision. It's a good movie, though the soundtrack wasn't near as exciting as I'd hoped. Same with Clockwork Orange.

Aryaroman wrote: .......

Thanks for all the great suggestions, but SEM V demo(s) sound great and it seems to have great presets too. I think I'll go with it and VVV.
And should you need some more presets for the SEMV ( 210 + actually ) .... Semsentials might be a solution.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:

And should you need some more presets for the SEMV ( 210 + actually ) .... Semsentials might be a solution.
Presets are one thing I can't imagine buying ever. But thanks for the heads-up.

Lotuzia wrote:

When this great synth costs € 40, € 25 for some extra presets doesn't sound right... I could pay € 10. We are in recession, all prices have gone down, and lib pricing should also take account that.

Harry_HH wrote:When this great synth costs € 40
It does not cost €40.

Arturia are currently selling the SEM V on their website for €49 (here to the UK inc VAT I guess), a *half price* limited time sale offer.

The SEM V actually costs €99 to buy, excluding promotions. But if you want it, the current 50% off is a pretty great deal. I just bought the iPad version for £4, and it's quite fun...
Last edited by beely on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”