How did Flying Lotus...

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,
I bet this question has already been answered, but the problem is I don't know how to word it, therefore I am at a loss trying to find an original question that is similar to this one.

I having been listening to Fly lo and thundercat a lot lately, and the one thing I notice are there random sounds. For example, in 'Seven' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6arNKHQgzs
at 0.06 sec in, there is a sample that is pretty much used a single time.
Another example is 'Tron Song' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx1MJJduQ04
there are millions of these random sample everywhere, and I really would like to know where to get these kinds of oneshots, because they are not normal. And if there is any kind of effect chain linked to these kinds of sample, aside from panning, grain delay, verb, chorus, etc, then how would I achieve such a pristine sound that sounds so musical. I hope this is not a loaded question, but I really need to know. Thanks in advance!

You'll love Xoxos' water and bird plugins.

The free one's here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sounds_ ... e_by_xoxos

And the water one is $10 or $30 for a huge pack.

For some reason I can't get the vst's to work. But I will keep trying. Thanks for the recommendations!

Not everyone uses sample packs you know ... chances are these artists are (gasp) creating their own sound FX. :shock:

Mess around with a synth, try to make as many atonal sounds as possible and record a lot of tweaking, then cut out the best/most musically relevant bits, try repitching them so the tonal element harmonizes with the music. Also, collect a lot of found sounds. I like to load a lot of them in on one track and just listen to them all in sequence until one matches the mood and tone of the piece.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

thecontrolcentre wrote:Not everyone uses sample packs you know ... chances are these artists are (gasp) creating their own sound FX. :shock:
Thanks for the sarcasm. But on a serious note, how would I create fx like in the examples above?

And I will try that Sendy. It is odd for me to create atonal music considering my background in music, but I will have to conquer my weakness someday. :D

jahka wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Not everyone uses sample packs you know ... chances are these artists are (gasp) creating their own sound FX. :shock:
Thanks for the sarcasm. But on a serious note, how would I create fx like in the examples above?
I would start by experimenting with adding FX, then cutting up, re-pitching, reversing sounds until I got something that works with the song I'm writing. I often re-sample parts of the tune / track ...

Interesting. I will try that out, thanks!

jahka wrote:
Try messing around with white noise, LFO, and a 24db low pass filter.

For example, I bet that sound effect in your first video is white noise, chopped up (I use LFO tool by Xfer Records for this because you get crazy amounts of control) to 16ths or 32nds, and a low pass filter with medium resonance sweeping down from 20k to 0.

There's all kinds of crazy effects you can get with white noise, filters, and LFO tool. Once I figured that out it opened up a whole new world. Good luck! :D

-Dan

spend time making a big library of these sounds. i mean a folder with over a hundred, all random little oneshots.
then you just pour about 50 of them into your track, and start rearranging them here and there, until you find the ones that fit into your track. then delete the rest, and save for your next track.
sample libraries have loads of this sort of thing, especially vengeance mutekki etc (i use ueberschall) but you probs need to cut them down to oneshot size, as most sfx are like 5 secs long.

if feeling brave, find a nice synth for making things like this (i use surge). mostly its just lfo on pitch, and then things like warping the osc shape over time with another lfo. i like surge because simple clicks can make a drastic change to the sound

Yeah this is just sound design 101, its all about messing with synths until a happy accident emerges.

Sounds like most of his are just pitch modulated synthesizers.

That'sproduced by turning the resonance all the way up and modulating filter cutoff near the top of the lfo rate. The self oscillation is turned to spray. Modulating the pitch brings the signal closer to noise. Its atonal in the sense that there is no fundamental that can create a tonal centre

the 0:06 watery effect in "seven" is basically a sine or saw synth with lots of random modulation on i assume both pitch and cutoff. like, an lfo and/or envelope modulating another (main) lfo's frequency which then modulates the pitch. also some random panning.

pretty easy to make with eg. massive.

+1 one on what al said: just spend one afternoon making a whole bunch of random sounds fooling around with basic synths & modulation, throw them in a folder and you have your unique one shots/risers/impacts ready from then on.

Thanks so much for your question.
Some day I ll make a sound pack consisting of those abstract things like you mentioned.
I know exactly what you mean by "not normal". And that inspires me a lot!

Sound wise i would recommend you Oddity 2 by Gforce. I think you will find a lot of sounds like that in the preset section already.

...and another great way is generating feedback and inserting a bunch of effects somewhere in between.

Hope this helps.

here...the easy way:

http://www.soundmorph.com/product/5/galactic-assistant

or get the big pack wich includes the above plus more:

http://www.soundmorph.com/product/2/users-of-tomorrow
ImageImageImage

Return to “Production Techniques”