is my cpu running a bit too hot ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, Rob here. I just upgraded my computer to a PHENOM II 965 QUAD CORE CPU

here are the temperatures at 100% load
cpu.JPG
is this running hot for a Phenom ?

my setup is

MSI 870A-G54(FX) MOTHERBOARD
PHENOM II 965 QUAD CORE CPU
Blue Orb mini air cpu fan
4 gig Ram
PSU = 550 watts

Best
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

please help, somebody must know about cpu temperatures.

:)

I don't know Celsius... I'm a dumb american.

Usually a full load means yes, hotter CPU. The question is what is too hot. Piriform's analyzer does green / orange/ red and I only worry in the red (80 °F I believe) you want it under that. I play games that redline sometimes though.

If it's a laptop, clean out the airvent once in a while.

Yes, the temperatures are waaay too hot. I think the little flame icon is intended to tell you that.

You should have temps about half that (no more than 35 degrees C/100 degrees F), and of course lower would be better. Something around 26 degrees C (or 80 degrees F) would be more typical.

The manufacturer's website should also have information on the ideal and max operating temps for your CPU.

thank`s for the reply guys.

It`s a home made desktop pc with 2 internal fans and the Cpu fan

i just bought the motherboard from ebay with the fan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-870A-G54- ... 7675.l2557

Running windows xp

Maybe i should redo the thermal paste on the cpu and heatsink ?

this is at full load though 100% cpu . it idles at 40 degress c

best

Rob

Edit: I was wrong
Last edited by arkmabat on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok, so i did the new thermal paste thing and the temperature went down a whole 2 degrees c :lol:
cpu thermal paste.JPG
i am also trying out "cool n quite" now. this drops the cpu down to 800 mhz and the temperature is about 30 degrees c idle.

i`m stumped now. :(

The audio is very stable though with no problems ( asio drivers )
No clicks or glitches yet so far. (Touch Wood)

i don`t want to burn out the cpu though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My less than expert advice would be to work on improving the ventilation, and since you've got quite a ways to go, you might need better fans, and more of them... All of these leads to more noise, but that's part of the game you're playing.

I ran an overclocked Phenom II 955 for years and even after hours of Prime 95 it was only in the mid 50's C, mind you I was running a large Noctua cooler. The recommended thermal limit for those CPU's is 62C from what I remember. So something seems off, even with the stock cooler it shouldn't get that hot if you've got enough ventilation..
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Those temperatures look fine to me.

Thank`s for the advice everyone.

Would the PSU make a difference, its a 550 watt psu.
there seems to be more air coming from the psu then the exhaust fan.

I do have another case with much bigger fans. I could build that one up and see if it makes a difference.

RichieWitch wrote:Yes, the temperatures are waaay too hot. I think the little flame icon is intended to tell you that.

You should have temps about half that (no more than 35 degrees C/100 degrees F), and of course lower would be better. Something around 26 degrees C (or 80 degrees F) would be more typical.
lol, yeah, if you're in the fridge :lol:

50°-60° is the normal temperature for Phenoms: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000687.htm

:o
Last edited by arkmabat on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don't know what I was smoking. I idle at 55°C/130°F. Sounds like it's right in there.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”