Free or low budget compressors: 1176/la2a/la3a/cl1b?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1176:

1) Computer Magazine FAT Compressor (1176 Bluestripe) - the price of 1 computer magazine edition gives you a single compressor (FET compressor) included in the HoRNet Multicomp
2) Audiocation AC1 (inspired by 1176 but more transparent and less color) - coded by Christian Budde - free
3) The HoRNet Multicomp includes 1176 (the FET version) - around 35 euro includes an 1176 model among a VCA (guessing here but maybe DBX or possibly SSL type emulation) and Opto (probably LA2a)
4) Sknote Stripbus - I remember this last being around $30 dollars and includes 1176, LA2A, and SSL 4k solid state and SSL 4k tube

La2a

1) Thrillseeker LA (free)
2) Hornet Multicomp (see desc. above)
3) Sknote Stripbus (see desc. above)

LA3A
1) Phoenix Flight Optron 3A (free but hard to find now)

CL1B

not really any clones here besides the Antress plugin package, which doesn't sound anything like the real thing
Kingtao KT-C - Free but I don't believe this is actually a Cl1B model despite the eery similarity of the GUI

Also worth mentioning:

DCAM also has a compressor bundle package and people still swear by Stillwell compressors.

For what it's worth, I own most of these plugins and think you'll get a lot of mileage out of the HoRNet and Stripbus packages. The HoRNnet 1176 compares well with the most expensive 1176 models out there and is low CPU.

Here is Optron 3A free vst download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rqycw ... ron+3A.zip

The Optron 3A site is deleted so I guess it's fine to reupload it.
P.S.
And I confirm the Antress stuff is worthy!
Subscribe me. I need folowers.
SoundCloud / Youtube / some music

I also recommend Hornet's MultiComp. It's a fantastic device, and I can make the FET and OPTO models sound like the IK 76 and 2A

What is it about the 1176/la2a/la3a/cl1b that you particularly like?

itneveris wrote:I also recommend Hornet's MultiComp. It's a fantastic device, and I can make the FET and OPTO models sound like the IK 76 and 2A
I can't make the OPTO model behave like my UAD LA2A or other similar opto's I've tried. The thing I like most on these other compressors is the transparent/invisible compression they offer, even with many db's of reduction. The Hornet OPTO isn't transparent at all here. It's very usable and I like it a lot, but definitely not for it's "invisibility".

arseniy2 wrote:Here is Optron 3A free vst download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rqycw ... ron+3A.zip

The Optron 3A site is deleted so I guess it's fine to reupload it.
P.S.
And I confirm the Antress stuff is worthy!
Thanks for the link! :tu:
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Effects”