Is the Elektron Analog Rytm the closest (all hardware) groovebox to Arturia Spark?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I liked Arturia Spark a lot, mainly the controller, anyway. When the software actually worked, it was great. I mainly used it to generate ideas. I ditched it because the buggy nature and the hardware/software lag of the hybrid design got on my nerves, not to mention the crashes. After viewing videos of the Elektron Analog Rytm, it seems to have many of the same abilities as Spark:

-Layering synth and samples
-Instant pattern changes for mashup madness
-Quick tuning mode to play any sample or synth like a regular tuned instrument
-Pattern automation (as well as parameter lock)
-Seems to have great pads
-Fast, on-the-fly workflow with instant access to many functions right from the front panel.

Are there any other boxes that I'm missing? I looked at the Tempest, but price-wise, Rytm seems like a much better value.

There's lots of drum machines out there, even the Jomox 888/999 can load samples and be manipulated. Tempest already has samples and sounds great. But I too like what Rytm offers. Not sure if Rytm will be better than Spark, but it will also be fun and a different way of working. Overall if you want hardware only, I think the Rytm will give you closest experience to Spark. Another thing to consider is the Arturia Beatstep Pro. You can sequence both your drums and synths (hardware or software). I'm not sure Rytm would give you the same functionality as BSP for sequencing other hardware units. I'd be happy with either one, but will buy a BSP soon. The performance mode of the Rytm is cool. Just watch some videos of the Rytm's editing windows to see if you like it's interface. Just depends if you like big screens of a computer to see all the parameters in one glance or want the tactile feel of hardware to interact with.

Machinedrum comes closer as it offers different synthesis engines. Granted i dont know Rytm's feature set well, also not sure if the UW option is a valid replacement for Spark's sampling features. Serious and fun machine though.

I just bit the bullet and bought a Rytm from Jrrshop. I can't wait until it arrives. My very first analog synth (well, drum synth, but I'm still counting it as such). Very excited.

This vid has me super wet for an iPad and Strom. :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvjGbSU2AuM

Congrats! I'm pretty sure you will love it and there's a chance more analog gear will move into your apartment shortly :)

I don't use Strom yet, but use the randomizer tool often: http://www.gugabox.com/New/index.html#

I'd also avoid using Overbridge for recording unless you can live with large buffer sizes and latency. I have given up on
it for now, but love working without it so doesn't matter.

The only Elektron gear I have is an original, non-UW Machinedrum. I still find it a lot of fun to mess around with, and I've always kept an eye on their other offerings. The thing about their workflow which just drives me nuts everytime I start toying with the idea of getting, say, an Octatrack, is how much of a pain it is to assign samples. Strom looks like it adds a lot of functionality and overall ease of use, but once those samples were transferred, just look at how many button presses and knob twiddles it took just to assign a sample to a pad! I mean, that's one of the most basic functions of the device, and it shouldn't require so much effort to make it happen.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”