Does anyone know the name of this drum sample?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yONgtrFScNA

Around 0.11-0.12, that 'pop' sound starts to play. Thanks in advance. :tu:

...that sounds like a big layered workstation chord, i.e. some brass, synth, pad, epiano etc layered on top of each other and playing a big 7/9/11 whatever chord. all sampled to one note and then you'll play it monophonically to your drums - most likey on mpc style pads. that's how it's done...

wow, thats aylot of work!

...actually no. You just take some of the described bread & butter sounds (a combination you like), load them on one channel, hit a chord and record that. Then you'll load that sample into your drum sampler and program it with the drums. That's how it's done. It takes only a few seconds (if you know your sounds and your chords) and it has been done a million times like this. Another way would be to sample that hit directly from that song, but I guess, that's not the way you want it. Just have fun experimenting...

"drum sample"...aren't we just talking about the snare sound?
Probably typical 80s drum machine such as a Linn...tuned + layered + verb.

Yeah, I was talking about the snare sound. Sorry for the confusion.

...my mistake - that stab sound also comes in around 11s and these sounds are usually played with the drums, that'S why I thought of that. However, the snare itself sounds fairly dry. It is layered with some kind of woodblock / cowbell sound that sounds pitched down and drowned in reverb...

just sounds like a side stick and rap snare triggered in sync
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Gothim wrote:Does anyone know the name of this drum sample?
Paul.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Gee, real helpful, Mushy.

The full name is Paul Rigelsmot von Smoot Jr.

If you mean the sound behind the snare sample, they do a sound like that in "Mercy Mercy Me" by Marvin Gaye, and people seem to say they achieved it there with either a conga, a woodblock, or a temple block with a ton of reverb. In that song's stems, it appears to be on a conga track.

Return to “Production Techniques”