Favourite Synths that use a LOT of your cpu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@Pyrotek45

Who said that AMD is bad or that people with less money are losers? Your problem is misinterpretation.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

fluffy_little_something wrote:AMD tech is fine, which is why it has always been preferred with overclockers.
As if you can't OC an Intel and shit even more on AMD's performance. :lol: In any case, Intel has much better TDP figures than that Vishera thing in general. Even when OCd.

That said, FX-9370 is now two years old. Of course it's outdated (and sheesh, seeing that TDP of 220W gave me shudders. That's DEFINITELY not a good thing).
Last edited by EvilDragon on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There were allegations about the former AMD CEO being involved in insider trading. The only truly moral approach is to render your audio offline on an abacus. Sure, it slows down your workflow a bit but it's worth it. :tu:

Frantz wrote:There were allegations about the former AMD CEO being involved in insider trading. The only truly moral approach is to render your audio offline on an abacus. Sure, it slows down your workflow a bit but it's worth it. :tu:
This is very analog. I will try it tonight. See you in a thousand years.

Frantz wrote:The only truly moral approach is to render your audio offline on an abacus. Sure, it slows down your workflow a bit but it's worth it. :tu:
Hahah, good one. :tu:

Frantz wrote:There were allegations about the former AMD CEO being involved in insider trading. The only truly moral approach is to render your audio offline on an abacus. Sure, it slows down your workflow a bit but it's worth it. :tu:
And Intel and MS have been investigated because they were promoting each other and forcing themselves on computer makers in an effort to get rid of AMD...

What this forum missed, an ADM vs Intel handbag fight :lol:

EvilDragon wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:AMD tech is fine, which is why it has always been preferred with overclockers.
As if you can't OC an Intel and shit even more on AMD's performance. :lol: In any case, Intel has much better TDP figures than that Vishera thing in general. Even when OCd.

That said, FX-9370 is now two years old. Of course it's outdated (and sheesh, seeing that TDP of 220W gave me shudders. That's DEFINITELY not a good thing).
2 years? Still doing pretty good for that age :) And the new processors due out next year will certainly be better than the currently best chip.

Processors don't run at max usually, Audio applications are a total exception. So with all those energy-saving technologies the TDP is not really an issue.

Sorry, but it's one thing when at max your CPU guzzles 220W or when it guzzles 75-85W and gives out more performance for 3x less Watts spent (comparing FX-9370 vs i7-4790K)! Shit, 4790K throws in a GPU for the price as well, and it supports up to 3 displays without you needing to buy a separate graphics card.

Which energy-saving technologies if you have a well sized DAW project that needs all of the CPU it can get? All that stuff needs to be turned off to get the max CPU performance. Don't be ridiculous.

murnau wrote:@Pyrotek45

Who said that AMD is bad or that people with less money are losers? Your problem is misinterpretation.
What? did you even read the whole forum? I was mainly speaking about Evildragon's post (and his stance for how Intel is superior), plus my post was filled with sarcasm. Please don't put words in my mouth. Evildragon did say that AMD was for poor people and that AMD is not as good as Intel, although i'm sure the first part was just a joke. Nobody said anything about how poor people are losers. Your problem is not reading.
Last edited by Pyrotek45 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Pyrotek45

Numanoid wrote:What this forum missed, an ADM vs Intel handbag fight :lol:
Yep. :)

Personally, i'm done with AMD. Had AMD for years on 2 different computers, both had graphics drivers issues (one card didn't even accept the factory drivers, so i had to use 3rd party ones, LOL), and the performance wasn't really sensational (the Athlon XP 2000+ was rock solid though). Intel/NVidia is always better in benchmarks, and not much more expensive these days, so my opinion is, why bother?

Btw, about Xeon processors, i know they're rather labelled as workstation CPU's, but they always get recommended as normal consumer/gaming CPU's too. I have a Xeon E3-1230 v3, and i don't see any disadvantages with it. As far as i read, they can't be easily overclocked, but wth, i wouldn't do that anyway.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Intel/NVidia is always better in benchmarks, and not much more expensive these days, so my opinion is, why bother?

Exactly.

chk071 wrote:
Numanoid wrote:What this forum missed, an ADM vs Intel handbag fight :lol:
Yep. :)

Personally, i'm done with AMD. Had AMD for years on 2 different computers, both had graphics drivers issues (one card didn't even accept the factory drivers, so i had to use 3rd party ones, LOL), and the performance wasn't really sensational (the Athlon XP 2000+ was rock solid though). Intel/NVidia is always better in benchmarks, and not much more expensive these days, so my opinion is, why bother?
No idea what you did there with your cards. Did you contact support or take it back to where you bought it?

Why would performance be sensational unless you bought the very best model? It is unrealistic to expect sensational performance from a normal card.

Using graphics processors for music plugins would be an interesting idea :) I know that a lot of hackers and freaks use AMD graphics cards for brutal number crunching stuff.

Yes, it's an interesting idea, but it only makes sense for highly parallel computations, like convolution. And even then there's the problem of latency. Don't expect it becoming a "thing" in our audio production world, definitely not for synths (which are more about serial processing usually, rather than parallel)...

Return to “Instruments”