Novation Nova NRPN question...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Peeps,

Bit of a long shot this one, but I thought I'd ask and see what comes back.

I've dusted off my old Nova (along with my JP-8000 and OB-12) and I'm having a slight issue with changing part parameters using NRPN's.

What I want to do is choose the init patch (B-127) and use NRPN's to change the sound on the fly, rather than save as a preset.

As soon as I use the NRPN to select a wave type for any of the oscillators, OSC 3 turns off completely, and all you hear is a click when you solo that oscillator.

OSC 1 and OSC 2 play fine.

Any ideas?

cheers

andy

I foolishly spent far too mch of my life trying to figre out Novation NRPNs. I eventally knew stuff about their NRPN usage which actually wasn't even in their own documentation.

One of the things that instantly springs to mind is that one 8bit value can code for multiple setting values. Maybe some bits are being sent to the wrong location somehow.

I had to start analysing the patch dumps with Midi-Ox; doing before and afters when I changed values. Even that was a lot of effort.
So I went so far as to design a Max patch to make the job easier.

I never did anything useful with all this effort...

Hi!

I did rediscover my good old Nova recently. This free vst editor plugin is doing some real magic with it:
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/?page_id=21

Just tought I'd let you know! Have a nice day!

Thanks for your reply knowix.

Funny thing is, I set my DAW to record the MIDI message sent by changing the waveform type for each osc, and it was exactly as per book, so that got me really stumped.

I've given up with this for now, but I've contacted Novation support, just in case they may have an answer.

@Djnro1 - Thanks for that link dood... I'll give that a try!

cheers

andy

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”