How often does your DAW crash?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
4damind wrote: IMO 99% of all crashes are because of poor implemented plugins
I often read that. But imagine plugin XY crashes one host, but works perfectly on another. Is it really the plugin's fault then? I mean, obviously it seems the VST implementation, or something else about the DAW, maybe the way the graphical interface is done, seems to differ, otherwise one plugin wouldn't crash the one, but not the other? Really always the plugin's fault?
How the VST host is implemented leaves some space for own ideas. Some DAWs (I know this about Bitwig) running plugins in a sandbox. So there is a good chance you will never see such a plugin crashing and if it crashed if will not crash the DAW... The exception handling seems also to be very different. Cubase seems to have a not so good exception handling so it's very easy to crash the complete DAW without giving the user some feedback or try to avoid the crash.
We know that Reaper is well known to be very stable and people often say they can run more plugins on the same machine compared to other DAWs. It's closed source so nobody knows how stuff is implemented but IMO there must be something completely different compared to Cubase.

For the graphic stuff... there are some known problems with some plugins using opengl/Directx for rendering their controls in combination with some GPUs. Waves had such a problem sometimes back and there are still sometimes problems while moving the mouse over some Waves plugins (lots of dropouts) Afaik in combination with the Intel HD4000 (IMO some 3D functions are not hardware accelerated and emulated with software with some GPUs)

So yes, I would say it's most of the time because of not very good implemented plugins or that a plugin is using some very special features (eg. of the opengl/3d API).

Ok, thanks for explaining. :)

Sonar Platinum / X3e 64 bit almost never crashes for me (but then again, i never use 32 bit plugins & bridging)

Maschine 2.3 crashes almost every day for me. this release has been terrible for me
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

wetdentist wrote:Sonar Platinum / X3e 64 bit almost never crashes for me (but then again, i never use 32 bit plugins & bridging)
Same here, though I'm only using Sonar Platinum.

I guess I should also mention Reason. It hasn't ever crashed on me. I only have two REs (the free ones), so it's just the base product. I don't use Reason as much as other things but I have used it for extended periods of time and had no crashes.

This also reminds me to mention that I don't tend to use a lot of 3rd party plugins in Logic either, which might contribute to the stability I experience. Logic pretty much has everything, and while 3rd party stuff is interesting and adds different flavors, I'm rarely unable to find what I need among the integrated stuff.

When I used Sonar a lot, I used a lot of 3rd party plugins. Though they didn't cause Sonar's shitty GUI behavior and Sonar's own bugs, they DID tend to be responsible for some crashes & freezes (mostly the freeware VST plugins made by SynthMaker and SynthEdit). The experience lead me to dramatically lose interest in 3rd party stuff, which I didn't really need in Logic anyway.

Some of Sonar's bundled stuff was 3rd party anyway. I never liked that bundling. It always came to an end and stranded you with project files that required older installations (because new Sonar versions missing old bundled things tended not to be compatible with the old stuff if you still had it installed for backwards compatibility of projects).

This has always been one of the problems with DAWs, from what I can see. If the core components aren't everything you need, 3rd party stuff has to be injected and they tend to bring unknown compatibility results and complications.
Last edited by Jace-BeOS on Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Oh yeah, that's another thing: using the bit bridge from 32-bit to 64-bit was the cause of much misery. That's another reason I gave up on 3rd party stuff in Sonar. My 32-bit install was for legacy projects. I started all new projects in the 64-bit version, not using ANY bit bridge.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

How often does my DAW crash?

A lot less often than KVR Forum (sorry, the board is....) that is for sure :P

I rarely experience the outages like we saw a short bit ago. That's a good thing because I have no life and I'm not able to be productive in the summer. KVR and other websites are all I got.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

arkmabat wrote:Plugins are more to blame than a DAW
Right.

I am on REAPER.
Normally it never crashes, though sometimes when i do things outside of that "normally" then it can crash, but rarely too.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Best ever was PT HD 7.4 which probably crashed once a year if that, Cubase/Live/Logic once every couple of weeks, usually doing something too fast. Worst for me by a mile Studio One 2, which I can make crash in 10 mins.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

arkmabat wrote:Plugins are more to blame than a DAW
Cubase rarely crashes here, thing is I rarely plug-into it. (VEP user)

pixel85 wrote:Everytime when I close Cubase I'm gettin info about error. But it's after closing it so I can live with that
have a look here, it might solve that issue:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 26&t=81011

Logic Pro X, and before that, Logic 9: very rarely. So rarely as to make it a non-issue.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I don't remeber Ableton crashing since about 9.1 - 9.2 version, so it is very stable for me.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

My main DAW is Reaper and it doesn't crash unless I try to feed it incompatible VST plugins. It fails on launch and the splash screen lists what plugin it crashed on. So then I just remove that plugin and delete it and restart and everything is fine. It filters out the bad plugins that way. Usually it's older freeware plugins that cause that.

I also use FL Studio and it freezes up if I click on stuff while something is loading and then I have to force it to quit.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”