Knobs & Numbers (mixing)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have recently just got back in to making beats after a few years break and after re installing Logic with some effect/Eq plugs and a few synths one thing has come back to me, i suck at mixing.

So i can hear a good mix and i can hear a bad mix but i always put off learning how to mix because i could never get it right and eventually quit music because of the cost of going to a studio to get beats mixed is too costly for a part time hobby.

Not no more, i am going to learn this craft if it kills me!

I have noticed one thing with myself - I prefer a EQ that only has numbers and knobs i just seem to work better this way. It would seem that with a visual Eq i get caught up with how it should look and now how it sounds and as everyone will tell you its not what the Eq looks like, no tracks Eq is set in stone.

My question is - If eventually i signed up to a company like Slate Digital and paid monthly would i be putting myself at a disadvantage using the mixing tools that i prefer i.e. ones with just Knobs and Numbers as opposed to say a visual Eq like the one that comes with Logic Pro x.

And yes i know premium plugs do not mix for you so i will still suck at first :hihi:

my advice is

Learn the tools you have now,before paying for other stuff

You have conflated 2 (or 3) issues there:
(a) visual vs non-visual EQing
(b) third-party vs built-in effects
(c) subscription vs one_off payments.

Ignoring (b) and (c) for the moment (see this forum and elsewhere for hundreds of discussion of those topics) you should use the effects that help you most achieve the effect you want. At least with a visual interface you can always hide the visualisation and focus on the controls - even if you just have to move another window / panel over the visualisation.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

@DarkStar Thanks for the advice, i think really what i was getting at is that i prefer the hands on approach to a GUI with Knobs as apposed to graphs and is there any disadvantage to this choice.

Is there a way to get Logic's EQ GUI to display knobs over the graph look? (I'm aware the numbers are below the graph)

Thanks People

S-N-S wrote:my advice is

This is correct, and further, learning on a visual EQ is better, IMO.

But yeah, I spent a YEAR with only Ableton Stock plugins to learn to mix. I deleted everything I had downloaded(hadn't bought anything yet) and committed to learning on the stock plugins before I bought anything.

itneveris wrote:
S-N-S wrote:my advice is

This is correct, and further, learning on a visual EQ is better, IMO.

But yeah, I spent a YEAR with only Ableton Stock plugins to learn to mix. I deleted everything I had downloaded(hadn't bought anything yet) and committed to learning on the stock plugins before I bought anything.
I spent many years just using stock Logic fx... It really does you a lot of good.

Now, however, I am a third party plugin junkie!

Anyway... OP - use what inspires you, and get really familiar with one or two EQs. That is all. Be happy!

Thanks everyone :D

Dont spend lots of money on 3rd party plugins, unless you want spending money to be your hobby and not music making.
The fewer plugins you have the easier it is to learn what you have.
Also 'the art' of mixing is near enough a complete nonsense, most advice you will get will be for a perfect room with perfect monitors and a bunch of other perfect crap.
Do you best and remember this...
A good song does not become a bad song because of a bad mix, a bad song does not become a good song because of a mix.
Duh

Return to “Effects”