Waves RBass vs. Aphex Big Bottom

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simon.a.billington wrote:Yeah... Simplified version of MaxxBass... How in the hell did I miss that auto-correct error!! LMAO
Stupid back version LOL )))))

Some time ago I found this simple shootout: https://youtu.be/e57l5qMLovE

What I literally see from it is that MaxxBass and RBass are not the same algorithm, so RBass is not a version or MaxxBass.

Also I liked the idea of such test. It is so easy to do, so one can do the same with any harmonic generator plugin and actually see what it does. I believe any modern DAW now has stock sine wave generator and a kind of analyzer.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote:What I literally see from it is that MaxxBass and RBass are not the same algorithm, so RBass is not a version or MaxxBass.
Strange. Then why do Waves write on their Website that it is?
http://www.waves.com/plugins/renaissance-bass
Waves wrote:(...) Using Waves patented MaxxBass® psycho-acoustic technology, Renaissance Bass makes tightening up the low end easier than ever (...)
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote: Strange. Then why do Waves write on their Website that it is?
http://www.waves.com/plugins/renaissance-bass
Waves wrote:(...) Using Waves patented MaxxBass® psycho-acoustic technology, Renaissance Bass makes tightening up the low end easier than ever (...)
Technology maybe. I agree they render close results. Maybe it is possible to tweak them to death until you reach exactly the same harmonic generation with both plugins. Maybe I'm wrong, but what I could see from experiment (see the video above), they are not the same. Anyway, it is not too important if they are, as long as they do the job :)
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Aphex Big Bottom seems only available in a bundle + it is TOO EXPENSIVE!
i got MaxBass for very cheap, now i have RBASS and MAXXbass, wonderin what the differences are ;D

from this vid both have (nearly) the same impact?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e57l5qMLovE
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

More importantly, Aphex is only available for ProTools.

simon.a.billington wrote:There is a more modern hardware unit Aphex has put out and it features both its Big Bottom and it's Aural Exciter tech. That unit actually reminds me of another product I thought would be worth while mentioning, the SPL Vitalizer.

That thing is supposedly not the normal run-of-the-mill exciter, but it was designed based on psychoacoustic principles depicted by the the Fletcher-Munsen curve and the way the ear changes frequency response at different loudness levels.

So, I think, by boosting what is lacking at lower levels it tricks the brain into thinking the sound is lower, more present, and more exciting. I think that's the theory.

While its true that you should probably use what you have. There are some tools designed to make workflows more quicker and efficient and time is everything in this day and age. Then there are other tools that do something a bit different, a bit unique, some of those can also be worthwhile investing in as well because they will offer more paints for your palette. Then sometimes you just want something new and exciting just to get you motivated about mixing again. An occasional bit of retail therapy can actually be good for your creativity and for your soul.
This plugin is available on the UAD platform which I am a big fan of. I am reading thru this short write up and kicking myself for not buying it during the Christmas sale when it was super cheap... No harm done tho. It's already in my cross hairs fro this Christmas. As far as adding the Low End roundness (that how I think of it) to vocals I use Waves MaxxBass. I saw Ken Lewis (www.audioschoolonline.com) do it and since then it has become a staple in my mix template. The plugin has 0 samples of latency @ 44.1 so I use it in Maschine in conjunction with iZotope's Trash2. I've been able to create some very interesting 808 lines with those tools together.

The biggest benefit I can see to adding the SPL Vitalizer is the processor falling on the UAD card. Just a thought. And it is usually under $99 during the sale, so yeah. Christmas crosshairs for this one.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

I find LoAir difficult to "tame" and is more in your face, so I prefer either RBass or MaxxBass. I find making subtle tweaks in MaxxBass far easier than LoAir. SPL Vitalizer is in a league by itself and is really an apples and oranges comparison. Like Simon says it's more a psychoacoustic processor than anything else.

The new Melda MBassador is a combination of LowAir and Maxxbass at a really affordable price. It is amazing on any kind of bass insturment.

the Aphex big bottom is more for Electric Guitars than bass and much less for mixes
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Return to “Effects”