Disappointed by audio editing capabilities of Studio One 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently purchased Studio One 3.
Prior to S1 I used Cubase 6 and Live (still using Live for some cases)

I must say that S1 (which is great in many ways) surprised me with the fact that its so handicapped when it comes to basic audio editing!
in Cubase I could take a sample or a bounce, cut stuff in the beginning and the middle, pitch bend some of it, really powerful editing in house.
in Ableton Live I have the option for an External Audio Editor - for this I use IL Edison which works seamlessly.

How come S1 which is already v3, made by former devs of Cubase, has no proper Audio editing capabilities and even not a proper way of setting up an external editor? (and no pitch bend of audio?)
Last edited by tristan- on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fair enough.

I guess pitch shifting duties goes to melodyne which comes with the pro version

but you can slice stuff and pitch shift your slices in studio one... use the slice tool and right click the region and transpose *semi tones* and tune *cents*

if you go to the inspector you can also change the algorithm in which it is using for stretching/transposing.

so yeah..
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

qtheerearranger wrote:but you can slice stuff and pitch shift your slices in studio one... use the slice tool and right click the region and transpose *semi tones* and tune *cents*

if you go to the inspector you can also change the algorithm in which it is using for stretching/transposing.

so yeah..
To add, the new time stretching algorithms are much better in V3 as well.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

well, you're missing the point of the thread which is the serious lack of any serious audio editor as in Cubase? or even a way to send audio to an external editor like in Live?

regarding the pitch shift, I actually meant pitch BEND via envelope:

Also you can use Edison as a plugin too.

aMUSEd wrote:Also you can use Edison as a plugin too.
You can't send audio from S1's timeline to Edison for editing when it's in VST mode.

Here's a post I found at the PreSonus forums regarding this:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=5846

Set up Studio One 2.6 to use External Audio Editor

You can't do it but I sure hope the ability is implemented in V3, or a V2 update. I would imagine it's not an easy thing to incorporate.

That is the only thing I miss from the old DAW software I used to use. You would just right click on a clip or track and click, "Edit with Sound Forge". It would open up that clip, or whole track, or even a little section of something you highlighted, in Sound Forge. The DAW would detect when you closed Sound Forge and would ask if you wanted to update your file and it would reload the clip or track with your edited version. It was really nice for editing peaks and noise. Sound Forge has an excellent noise reduction package included with it. The GUI sucks, but it's extremely functional.

If you had your audio editor installed before you installed the DAW software, it automatically detected it and set it up, but you could customize the DAW to use any audio editor, it didn't have to be Sound Forge.

as for the pitch bend automation, you can get something like sound shifter pitch by waves and do s shaped and normal curves via automating the pitch bend.

hopefully one day we get external audio editor or they add more features to their audio editing. there are features from both pro tools and cubase that they could clearly still learn from.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

I use S1, but it's one of the major gripes I have with the program. There are several audio and midi features that need to be implemented, yet we're given the arranging tools that I could care less about. Pandering to the loopers, while ignoring the needs of serious composers.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Resonant- Serpent wrote:I use S1, but it's one of the major gripes I have with the program. There are several audio and midi features that need to be implemented, yet we're given the arranging tools that I could care less about. Pandering to the loopers, while ignoring the needs of serious composers.
Why not just use a DAW that already has the serious composition features you want? Or is Studio One close, but just not quite there yet in that department?
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Resonant- Serpent wrote:I use S1, but it's one of the major gripes I have with the program. There are several audio and midi features that need to be implemented, yet we're given the arranging tools that I could care less about. Pandering to the loopers, while ignoring the needs of serious composers.
Everyone got the memo... Look through any of the S1 forums, and that is the 2 main gripes. Midi and Audio editing, surely you've seen it?

I personally love S1 and think it's the best DAW around (despite it's foibles).

As op said, work with a DAW that does have the features you want. :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I'll be using it despite this flaw. The software is still young, and I think it has to be a priority.
Last edited by tristan- on Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just bought Cubase 8 from a KVR user here.
I'll have S1 3 for sale soon if anyone wants it.
I'll return to S1 hopefully in v4 in 3 years time once they have all those things sorted out!

tristan- wrote:I just bought Cubase 8 from a KVR user here.
I'll have S1 3 for sale soon if anyone wants it.
I'll return to S1 hopefully in v4 in 3 years time once they have all those things sorted out!
While the UI is less consistent than the new "cool DAWs" on the block but for the most part I find working in Cubase 8 to be very enjoyable. Interfacing to a breathtakingly huge number of features is fairly well thought out and shouldn't cause much frustration.

You may not want to go back after getting addicted to Cubase features :tu:
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

tristan- wrote:well, you're missing the point of the thread which is the serious lack of any serious audio editor as in Cubase? or even a way to send audio to an external editor like in Live?

regarding the pitch shift, I actually meant pitch BEND via envelope:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this effect in S1 with a plug in? I see the waves soundshifter mentioned, but it's $150! Any other suggestions...
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”