Do Omnisphere 2 presets load "instantly" with an SSD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Title says it all.

More information:
The only complaint I have about the newer Spectrasonics products is that loading presets is agonizingly slow, and for no reason that is apparent to me. That is, even presets that don't involve loading any samples take several seconds to load on my system, whereas Atmosphere and Trilogy could load the exact same presets more or less instantly. I don't really mind that much, and I know I should upgrade to an SSD anyway, but if I could justify a new SSD based on instant Omnisphere 1/2 and Trilian loading, I would feel a lot better. :D

It's totally worth it imo. It's much faster and feels instant. I haven't gone through the fingered bass and stuff like that in Omni 2 yet, but in Omni 1 those could take a while on HDD. When I bought an SDD and put Omni 1 on it, it was a huge breath of fresh air and made the experience much more enjoyable. Much quicker. I use the arrow keys on my keyboard to scroll through presets btw and I can do it really fast, testing out/looking for a specific sound fyi. SDDs are worth it for music. It's better than a new softsynth :D Don't hesitate, you'll thank yourself later.

I can't compare directly because I never bothered timing it before swapping in an SSD but on a 2009 Mac Pro with SATA2 - so not a speed demon compared to something on a PCI bus or SATA3 – it is pretty snappy. The 200MB guitar libraries typically load in under a second. Smaller ones are more or less instant. Scrolling down the list (which I normally never do) just now just to check, the green complete sign is coming up straightaway on the patches I've tried.

Yes, I miss being able to click through presets in under a second like I could with Atmosphere so many years ago. I was just afraid that the STEAM database thing or whatever it is would be slow even with ultra fast SSD disk read times. Sounds like that's not true though. Thanks!

andrew732 wrote:Title says it all.

More information:
The only complaint I have about the newer Spectrasonics products is that loading presets is agonizingly slow, and for no reason that is apparent to me. That is, even presets that don't involve loading any samples take several seconds to load on my system, whereas Atmosphere and Trilogy could load the exact same presets more or less instantly. I don't really mind that much, and I know I should upgrade to an SSD anyway, but if I could justify a new SSD based on instant Omnisphere 1/2 and Trilian loading, I would feel a lot better. :D
I got an SSD and it sure is snappy. But with Omni 2 running the 64 bit version also speeds up things. That version doesn't wait for the samples to load entirely, but you can start playing while it's still loading. So a combo of 64 bit plugin and SSD will make things much faster for you.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Yes I've had both. Used to have Omni on my regular internal HD (macbook pro), but since upgrading to an SSD it's nice and fast. Every patch loads in under a second it seems. Some trilian patches are a bit slower but way better than with HD.

Its not instant here with an 850 Pro, but its in under a second most of the time.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

That's what I was wondering. Thanks to all!

I have a 100% SSD DAW (4 TB of SSD's) and Omni does load much faster with the SSD's, but it is definitely not instantaneous. The larger Trillian samples though, are still slow unfortunately.

andrew732 wrote:Yes, I miss being able to click through presets in under a second like I could with Atmosphere so many years ago. I was just afraid that the STEAM database thing or whatever it is would be slow even with ultra fast SSD disk read times. Sounds like that's not true though. Thanks!
For me a SSD is a must when working with samples/sample based stuff.

After I upgraded my system with a SSD I though I had bought a whole new computer.

Once you worked with a SSD, you won't ever go back buying a computer with just HDs.

Return to “Instruments”