Introducing T-RackS Stealth Limiter - Available now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At least it looks nice. Just a little bit expensive for my current budget, but I'm still very curious... :)

How this compares to A.O.M. Invisible Limiter ($119/$89)?
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

J4R1O wrote:At least it looks nice. Just a little bit expensive for my current budget, but I'm still very curious... :)

How this compares to A.O.M. Invisible Limiter ($119/$89)?
T-RackS Stealth Limiter is free to take a spin, so you can compare directly if you'd like.

The GUI looks kind of like Weiss, but not any particular box.

Maybe just the DS1 limiter section?

Is 125 an intro price?

I have some over 300 credits banked and we have all the t-racks but this... might hang for now to see what else is coming.

Congratulations, though!

(I was getting worried because it's been so long since the API releases.)
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Burillo wrote:i don't really use limiters at all so i probably won't even try it, but i hope more modules are coming :)
Same here :tu:

dbender wrote:
TheoM wrote:
dbender wrote:Wondering how this sounds vs. the existing TRacks CS limiter ... anyone tried?
waaaaaaaaay better than that
Thanks, but ...how so specifically?

thanks

louder and cleaner and proper ceiling protection. The other one even at -0.7 can clip where as this doesn't at any setting.

just demo and compare head to head yourself and you will see what i mean - the older t racks limiter is an average product that is already outclassed by the majority of newer limiters on the market. it also sounds squishy very fast.

Pleased to see this type of device released for T-Racks.. even though I bought Ozone 6 only a couple of months ago... :dog:

Latency?

aMUSEd wrote:Latency?

don't know the exact figure but quite a bit (logic doesn't give you exacts).

When i bypass and re enable it in logic as I am comparing it head to head with other limiters i can clearly hear logic re adjusting itself and glitching so I am guessing at least a couple hundred ms. I can check the vst in cubase later on and get the figure.

Bear in mind it also uses an entire thread of a 2.2 ghz i7 for a single instance (4 core 8 thread). It's got the highest cpu usage of any limiter I have ever tried, by a very large margin. This one is designed for mastering only, not mixing duties.

I wasn't too far off, it's 104.4 ms at 44.1khz, so 4604.4 samples.

doesn't matter whether no OS, 4xOS or 16xOS

I've tried the demo for about an hour on some edm tracks that were already mixed and mastered. I took off the limiter from the Master and inserted SL, and pushed hard.

It certainly is a good limiter. I really like it. Tested it against AOM, LAxLimit, ProL and some clippers. It holds up fine. It gets a bit cloudy with low frequencies at times, where i felt another limiter was more transparent. But the dynamics remain good.

SL is pretty good with highs overall. At times i found it just a tad clearer and cleaner in highs compared to the other limiters.

Some suggestions, if IKM is taking anyway: ;)

- The bass department could use some clearing up. And by that i mean how much air and dynamics remain when i.e. a kick and bassline are playing full and half notes. SL clouds this up a bit while for example AOM keeps the transients more clear. It's not a huge difference but certainly audible to me and for my taste.

- The SL's different modes are sounding close to eachother, i would like it if the difference between how they treat audio was bigger to give more choices / flexibility to the user. Tight and Harm2 came out best.

That's it. After an hour testing i got the best loudness vs transparency vs retaining dynamic punch with SL, AOM, LAxLimit and Clipshifter. Yes Clipshifter isn't a limiter. I'm keeping a close eye on SL for now, not buying it yet.

I also made a shootout today and have to say the Stealth Limiter is quite excellent but it's not "the best" in my opinion. It has a very clear sound/behavior of it's own (as do all the other limiters, hence I own a shit ton of them) that doesn't always suite the material. I do like how it remains tonally very neutral to the source material. The dynamics do get a bit squashed compared to clipping things (like you can in Pro-L if you set large attack times) but these days I'm less worried about the dynamics than I am of the tonal changes.

What I did realize is that I seem to really like TB Pro Audio's LAxLimit.. a lot! I also noticed that the newly updated version 1.5 of LAxLimit actually performs worse than the LAxLimit 1.4 version. Strange indeed..

Anyhow, for the money and ease of use I'd give the IK Stealth Limiter a solid 8 out of 10 as a score. It's a very impressive and easy to use plugin for sure. I wish we had a bit more options to tweak it so that it would fit more audio material but that'd make it more complex to use and probably would go against the intended purpose of this plugin.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Fleer wrote:
Burillo wrote:i don't really use limiters at all so i probably won't even try it, but i hope more modules are coming :)
Same here :tu:
While there wasn't a reason given, the following may likely be appropriate for some that don't use limiters: Normally, some people that don't use limiters at the final stage of mastering do this because they don’t like the compression / dynamic reduction and transient smoothing effect limiters can have, so they prefer using various forms of clipping (because this preserves dynamics more and they are typically punchier).
This is where the Stealth Limiter comes in! Actually, the way its limiting algorithm is made it can actually preserve dynamics more than clipping.

my reason for not using limiters much is not that :)

while i mentioned that i use Kazrog KClip (which is a clipper, not a limiter), i use it simply to prevent anything from going above -0.3dB. i don't actually drive the gain and squash things to death, i'm only using those to catch an occasional peak - RMS on my master bus rarely goes above -15dB, so it doesn't really make a lot of difference as to which limiter i use. i used both clipper (yellow) and limiter (white) from T-Racks before, and the only reason i switched to KClip was the ceiling control. and i got KClip for free, so that was a bonus too.

if Stealth Limiter came out earlier, i'd probably use it now, as it seems to have a bunch of useful controls (ceiling, infrasonic filter, unity gain comparison), but as it stands, i simply have no need.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:my reason for not using limiters much is not that :)

while i mentioned that i use Kazrog KClip (which is a clipper, not a limiter), i use it simply to prevent anything from going above -0.3dB. i don't actually drive the gain and squash things to death, i'm only using those to catch an occasional peak - RMS on my master bus rarely goes above -15dB, so it doesn't really make a lot of difference as to which limiter i use. i used both clipper (yellow) and limiter (white) from T-Racks before, and the only reason i switched to KClip was the ceiling control. and i got KClip for free, so that was a bonus too.

if Stealth Limiter came out earlier, i'd probably use it now, as it seems to have a bunch of useful controls (ceiling, infrasonic filter, unity gain comparison), but as it stands, i simply have no need.
Just a quick question off-topic. So you made the choice of putting out music with quieter levels than the "commercial stuff" ?

kj.metissage wrote:Just a quick question off-topic. So you made the choice of putting out music with quieter levels than the "commercial stuff" ?
i'm not really "putting out" any music in a sense that you can't find it anywhere. i'm just a hobbyist, doing it for my own (and possibly my family) enjoyment. but yes, it was a conscious choice i made.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Effects”