How often does your DAW crash?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's great.

incubus wrote:Never.
Ditto on Windows 8/8.1. Used to crash occasionally when I was still on XP a few years ago.

Just moved to Windows 10 so we'll see.
Sweet child in time...

Cubase 8 crashed once yesterday for the first time. I am pretty sure that Battery 4 caused it as I was adding some samples to it at the time but I have no way of really knowing.

Other than that it has been rock solid though.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Does any DAW have ways to report to a user what exactly crashed a DAW? I'm not talking "exception 0x09324jmksjvsd" but simple "This crashed X" or something.

Ableton Live generates crash reports if it crashes, and gives you the name and location of it when you start up the next time.
Sweet child in time...

This has become a rather interesting topic for me.. as i use Reason more and more, a problem has surfaced, well, more and more.

Originally my answer in this topic and indeed in all similar topics in the past, would have been "absolutely never", as reason itself never crashes here (on mac). I have had 2 individual RE's crash in my entire usage period with Reason. One crashed three times, the other once, and both times the RE separate process shell did it's job, and one click re launched the plugin and reason itself did not crash nor did the project. Brilliant. Those two RE's were both fixed shortly after with updates.

But the problems I am having with the authoriser, which started off as a minor annoyance, are now taking on average, over an hour of my time every single time i face the issue (failure to successfully update the codemeter license when an RE is purchased/demoed/beta'd/beta expired/demo expired/reason updated/and some other random event) - and I face that issue at LEAST 3 times a week. The worst was recently with 8 hours of reason locking me out of using RE's i owned. As when it demands the authoriser update function, until it successfully completes the action it disables use of already owned products in many cases.
At a minimum I would say I am locked out of Reason at least 10 hrs a week these days and unable to load any song and play it back properly.

So the DAW i bought FOR it's stability, the DAW that itself never crashes, has become the most unstable DAW for me personally, in my entire music making career of 20+ years. All because of it's copy protection. I never experienced more than 10 - 20 minutes of inconvenience every one or two weeks with even the most unstable versions of logic, and with the latest release, 5 minutes a month at most. So Reason (when using the RE system and having lots of RE's installed), for me, is officially the most unstable DAW platform of all time.

S1 v 3 crash all the time. That's why i always have mutiple backup with it. The problem is i enjoy the resizable mixer too much, i cannot go back to v2 which is a lot more stable.
musisikamar.com

DAW crashes are most likely related to the used soundcard-driver,so buy a better one with better driver support.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Make sure your driver has a driving license.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

t3toooo wrote:DAW crashes are most likely related to the used soundcard-driver,so buy a better one with better driver support.

bzzzz... wrong.

xamido wrote:S1 v 3 crash all the time. That's why i always have mutiple backup with it. The problem is i enjoy the resizable mixer too much, i cannot go back to v2 which is a lot more stable.

does it crash with 3rd party plugins only or even doing just things in the program itself and with it's own plugins?

TheoM wrote:This has become a rather interesting topic for me..
Have you contacted them about it? Is their team generally responsive? That's sad because from what people write here, Reason is a clear winner in the stability department and the fix to what you describe probably won't be a complicated job. Do more people complain about this stuff or are you just the lucky one?

Logic X, here and there. Sometimes it runs for days without issues, and then I get several crashes within hours. I guess it has to do with certain plugins, but I wasn't yet able to pin down the culprit.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Tonberry wrote:
TheoM wrote:This has become a rather interesting topic for me..
Have you contacted them about it? Is their team generally responsive? That's sad because from what people write here, Reason is a clear winner in the stability department and the fix to what you describe probably won't be a complicated job. Do more people complain about this stuff or are you just the lucky one?

of course I contacted them. In fact I was not even close to being the first to complain about it, i thought i had it "ok" relatively speaking as it usually worked 2nd or third time. So i just thought "poor unlucky sods" when i read about the others with the issue. After a thanksgiving sale where i increased my RE count by a massive amount, the issue got steadily worse and worse.

They are well aware of the issue and that it affects a small ish ( i am guessing 1 in 5 ) of the reason users. They have admitted to me it's a problem and is made even worse by those who own a large RE count.
They told me to stop buying RE's for now and not do any RE updates of even stuff i own (thousands worth LOL, yeah right, not going to update them, NOT), or test betas or demos.. basically anything that triggers an RE license update - and they told me they would try improve it when they get back from holidays. That was a month ago. They have been aware of it since June 2012 when the small problems started, and almost a year with the R8 problems as the RE library has grown and more and more users buy Re's as there is much more choice now.

The problem was brought up at the PUF 11 months back and 30 people confirmed it - Right now I have 5 already at the new unofficial reason forum that can reproduce it exactly and have given up on RE's because they couldn't take it any more.

Their solution of not buying more or updating ones i have or testing any more is not acceptable to me. I don't even have half the stuff i would eventually want as there are so many categories of FX and instruments I am still missing in Reason that I would need if i were to use it as a self contained all in one DAW. I think it's reasonable to expect that if i launch the program and it says "your re licenses needs to be updated or run without re's", that i can press update and it does it's job.

I have logs from my isp that my connection is healthy and videos on youtube already about what is going on.
I also show in those video that my connection is at it's max speed (15 mb) when the problem happens. I also show the health of my modem data. I am collecting very comprehensive data every day.

i was alerted to the fact only yesterday that the license server has no mirrors where as everything else with propellerheads does, but the license server is just all on it's own in sweden. What I think is that it simply can't handle the connections and has some sort of ultra low error tolerance that with even the tiniest error, it fails the update.

Aloysius wrote:Make sure your driver has a driving license.
Yes :!:
And don't drink and drive unless you have a car :lol:
Why won't you delete this account as I have requested Ben ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”