Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've 20 odd electrics now but there's four I cycle between regularly. This week belongs to my 93 Gibson nighthawk st3. Never selling that thing...looking for someone deserving of inheriting it when I drop dead.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:I've 20 odd electrics now but there's four I cycle between regularly. This week belongs to my 93 Gibson nighthawk st3. Never selling that thing...looking for someone deserving of inheriting it when I drop dead.
I primarily go between a 57' strat and a 59' Les Paul Traditional (reissue). Those 2 are on stands beside my playing spot. I also have an Ibanez RG something or other, can never remember the numbers, that gets some regular playing time just so I stay used to an ultra flat, ultra wide neck. It take a minute when going from the strat to the Ibby. But, not vice versa for some reason.

The other guitars I have are used only if I want something specific. Like an ES-175 and a PRS with 58-08 pickups. I've been building utility strats that I feel comfortable taking outside the house. I want to start playing out with other people more. But, I'm far too fussy about my "good" instruments to do that.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

On the subject of utility Strats. Just picked up this body

to go with this neck.

I'm going HSH route on this one. The one I just finished has Bare Knuckle Irish Tours. So just a bit hotter than a 50s custom.
I'm not certain what PUPs are going in yet.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
werp wrote:I've 20 odd electrics now but there's four I cycle between regularly. This week belongs to my 93 Gibson nighthawk st3. Never selling that thing...looking for someone deserving of inheriting it when I drop dead.
I primarily go between a 57' strat and a 59' Les Paul Traditional (reissue). Those 2 are on stands beside my playing spot. I also have an Ibanez RG something or other, can never remember the numbers, that gets some regular playing time just so I stay used to an ultra flat, ultra wide neck. It take a minute when going from the strat to the Ibby. But, not vice versa for some reason.

The other guitars I have are used only if I want something specific. Like an ES-175 and a PRS with 58-08 pickups. I've been building utility strats that I feel comfortable taking outside the house. I want to start playing out with other people more. But, I'm far too fussy about my "good" instruments to do that.
My 4 are the nighthawk, the PRS NF3, a Dean Cadillac 1980 and the one nobody has heard of. This thing.

SJ_Digriz wrote:On the subject of utility Strats. Just picked up this body

to go with this neck.

I'm going HSH route on this one. The one I just finished has Bare Knuckle Irish Tours. So just a bit hotter than a 50s custom.
I'm not certain what PUPs are going in yet.
Gorgeous neck that..

werp wrote:Gorgeous neck that..
First, that's a beautiful finish on the thing nobody ever heard of.

Second, I chose the conservative body because of how over the top the neck is. In person it is literally 3 dimensional. It looks like one of those holographic baseball cards. However, I'm probably going to get a custom pick guard made that will most likely moot the plain body idea. I'm an inconsistent idiot sometimes.

The neck when I received it was as pictured. I hand sanded it from the 400 it came at down to 2k. Considering going 3k as there are still a couple of small spots that don't pop do the 3d thing.

SJ_Digriz wrote:In general Amps and Guitars are built much more consistently these days, and the custom shops can spend the time and R&D to recreate particular pickup winds, countless neck profiles, torified bodies and other "spec" components.
Certainly from a musician's point of view, this make perfect sense. Today's reissues are really good, IMO. Also, the skyrocketing of vintage prices happened because of investment companies. With musicians and other average joe collectors priced out of the market, it could be that those companies just aren't seeing the same gains as before.

Now I wish I'd started a new thread regarding vintage collectors and players guitars. It seems we have some disagreements.

I'm seeing drops in "player grade" pricing around reverb and occasionally collectors grade.
I saw one of Les Paul's personal Les Paul Custom The one he used on the Listerine commercials and later when he toured with Chet Atkins go for a pittance.

In regards to fit and finish of recent reissues I couldn't agree more. The quality of the Reissue / Signature instruments from Gibson and Fender being made now is the best it's ever been.

I too see an increase in "some" vintage guitars by some professional collectors trying to drive up the market. However I don't see them moving. I just see someone throwing up a big price sticker.
https://reverb.com/item/526454-1959-gib ... nger-burst
Gary who? Not the most celebrated guitarist in history.

Everyone wants to believe that they have the holy grail of 59 LP's There can be only one holy grail. Not.. Bernie Marsdens and Not Peter Greens (cause it broke). Back in the 70's if there was a Gibson LP being sold in a store I'd be playing it. A lot of the 50's stuff was crap. The 70's stuff was great but still inconsistent in output. Then the 80's comes around and again. I couldn't believe the junk Gibson would put out. Through those years I picked up a 72 reissue deluxe and a 78 Custom both with 60's thin tapered necks. Sadly one was stolen and the other suffered a broken neck. If I had them today I'd be selling them because.... I need the money.

Sure unemployment is down but so is pay and good paying jobs. I'm far from the only musician who has had to make lifestyle accommodations do to changes in employment. That's what I see going on in the "player grade" vintage market. That is driving the vintage market down. People needing cash to pay the mortgage.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote: That's what I see going on in the "player grade" vintage market. That is driving the vintage market down. People needing cash to pay the mortgage.
I hadn't considered the economy for musicians into it. Very possibly a contributor.

Also, I don't think there is much of a disagreement. I was just discussing some observations based on a comment by Werp. Werp tossed his 2 cents back in and obviously Uncle E has the "retail" view of things in addition to the fact he seems to be a guitar junky as well. And, there can't be a disagreement when I admit I have no real clue .. :lol:

Getting back to sellers and pricing....

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=pa ... rian+belew

Parkers AB's were selling for around 11k new. See the white one. It came on the market at used at 10k and didn't move. Now the seller is trying to sell it for 9k and it prolly won't move. The tangerine one is sitting at 7k and has been up for a little while. Are they worth it? I love Parkers. I'd die for a Supreme. I own a P44 and I was mesmerized by the Adrian Belew model. Now I could care less. Apparently so could the market.

I'd rather get a Variax Standard from Yamaha. Better playability then the Tyler variety cheaper and newer HD technology then the Parker Adrian Belew.

I'm surprised there isn't a resurgence in Variax transplants with new Yamaha variax standards selling for under 800 you could easily swap bodies for something slightly more high end.

Got Malmsteen's Strat last month!

Here's the whole company:

One more slot on that stand left to be filled. :) I have a trilemma:

1. A nice 7-string
2. A Bass VI
3. An actual bass (like 5-string something)

I suck at bass, that's why Bass VI might be a good choice - more guitar-like string spacing etc. Then again, when I look at this freaking beauty, I completely lose my mind:

beauty

I may have taken this out of context
[quote[
Also, the skyrocketing of vintage prices happened because of investment companies.
[/quote]

It's true during the 90's collector companies tried to corner the market on Strats during stratomania. That collapsed rather quickly (god I just read all this stuff and I can't remember the links)

The value of anything is determined by what someone will pay for said object. Not what someone may be offering it for. Right now there is a flood on the market for collectors grade guitars. Mostly from rock stars such as Steve Miller and Neal Schon who have decided to thin the heard.

EvilDragon wrote:Got Malmsteen's Strat last month!

Here's the whole company:

One more slot on that stand left to be filled. :) I have a trilemma:

1. A nice 7-string
2. A Bass VI
3. An actual bass (like 5-string something)

I suck at bass, that's why Bass VI might be a good choice - more guitar-like string spacing etc. Then again, when I look at this freaking beauty, I completely lose my mind:

Sweet.
I think about schecters quite a lot. Though recently I've been thinking about Charvels

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”