Roland SC-55 authored MIDI through a Roland SD-50

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm working on a project that involves generating "high quality" versions of music that were authored on a Roland SC-55. I originally tried running the MIDI through modern orchestral samplers but it just didn't translate and would require a ton of tweaking of the MIDI which isn't possible due to time constraints. GMD was used to author these songs and the SD-50 says it reads GMD. I listened to this FFVII MIDI that was run through an SD-50 and it sounded great!

https://youtu.be/ohWsitOHdek

My question is: Would I need to do any adjustments to the MIDI to get it to sound right?

Bonus: If anyone has an SD-50 that wouldn't mind running a MIDI file through for me as a test I'd be so very very grateful!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!

Hmm, I wonder what sound engine the SD-50 has? It's not listed on the Wikipedia Sound Canvas page (which lists all the differences between SC models).

I've got the Roland FA-06, which contains a subset of the Integra-7 library and has GM2 support. Would be happy to do a test run on it. I never had the SC-55, but I still have the demo MIDI files that came with my Roland SoundBrush SB-55 (which was co-released with the SC-55), and the FA-06 plays them fine.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I'm not an expert on Roland hardware (if you couldn't guess :P) so I'm not sure either. It's bizarre, I swear I used that exact wiki link to search for a modern module. Now I don't see the SD-50 there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GS)

This link shows that it's a GS capable. You bring up a good point though, perhaps I don't need to buy the SD-50 if it's using an older sound engine. I could probably find something else. I'll do some more research and report back.

I'll take you up on that offer to hear one of the MIDI files I have through your FA-06 if it isn't too much trouble?

(sending PM)

CowboyBebopper wrote:I'm not an expert on Roland hardware (if you couldn't guess :P) so I'm not sure either. It's bizarre, I swear I used that exact wiki link to search for a modern module. Now I don't see the SD-50 there.
Haha, there's actually a Wikipedia war going on with that article, specifically involving the Studio Canvas models... because I thought I had seen them mentioned there before, too.

Got your PM, will have a go tonight.

EDIT: Here's what Wikipedia used to say about the SD-50 before that entry was removed: "Desktop module. Can be used as a USB audio device, allowing for direct recording of processed MIDIs onto computer. GS sound bank is a mixture of SC-55, SC-88, SC-88Pro, and SC-8820/8850 samples. Contains 4 GM2 banks (Classic, Contemporary, Solo, Enhanced) as well as two Special banks in Native Mode and 3 MFX effects slots (1 per part - cannot be used jointly or stacked)" I own the SC-88 as well...

That's hilarious. Glad I'm not going crazy, and I'm glad there are people who are passionate about it :D

I do like that feature about being able to directly record to your computer, as the goal is to get the MIDI into WAV format. I can still track into my DAW but simplifying the workflow is always welcome.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

(Because I have a problem) I have a Roland SC-55, an M-GS64 (supposed to be basically an SC-88), an SD-80 and an XV-5050 so if you want you can PM and I'll record some stuff to add to a pile with the FA-06

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”