Are we upgrading to Win 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

andrew71 wrote:I'm cloning my system disk now. I'll run the upgrade in on the cloned disk and start checking things out. My main issue is with the M-Audio ProjectMix and Firewire support. As Cubase 8 Pro is my DAW, I'll see how that runs too. I know about Steinberg's warning and I should be able to easily switch back to my original disk if there are any problems.
Good news... My Firewire card (generic PCI which appears as Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller) and M-Audio ProjectMix I/O appear to work correctly after upgrading from 8.1 to 10. Cubase 8 Pro runs, although I'm not sure how to recreate the timing issues that Steinberg have reported.

Bad news... The iLok authorisation manager is moaning about not being installed correctly and there doesn't appear to be a way of uninstalling it through Control Panel or its own program group or folder. I guess that when I finally try the full upgrade I'll have to uninstall it first. I'd already moved the licenses off of the hard drive prior to upgrading.

Untested... I haven't tried many VST instruments or effects. Quite a lot use challenge/response authentication which I'm sure the upgrade will have broken and they'll need reauthorising.

I'll probably wait until Steinberg patch Cubase Pro 8 before I do the full upgrade.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Another feature worth noting, Win10 will share encrypted WiFi logon details, so if you manually share your logon with a friend they will share it with various contacts

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/wind ... -contacts/
All your data are belong to microsoft

All your fears belong to you. :) Every single one of the options in your picture is solely for your own comfort or safety. But no, since Snowden told us all that we have to fear teh evil NSA, it's of course all to snuff out our data or spy on us. Well, security paranoiacs gonna fear. Not much to add to the topic anymore.

:D :dog:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

chk071 wrote: Every single one of the options in your picture is solely for your own comfort or safety
Yep Keyloggers make me feel comfortable and safe............ :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Still fine using XP thank you.

andrew71 wrote: Bad news... The iLok authorisation manager is moaning about not being installed correctly and there doesn't appear to be a way of uninstalling it through Control Panel or its own program group or folder. I guess that when I finally try the full upgrade I'll have to uninstall it first. I'd already moved the licenses off of the hard drive prior to upgrading.
Click on the search, write "Services", look for Pace iLOK and start it manually. It's stupid, but, as usual, Pace is behind (although I warned them months ago about the issues with License Manager).
Fernando (FMR)

Teksonik wrote:
chk071 wrote: Every single one of the options in your picture is solely for your own comfort or safety
I may be wrong, but I think all of those screen are from the "Windows Insider" version (which I also have).
Fernando (FMR)

Teksonik wrote:
And it's still for your own comfort when they remember words you typed, because it will show word suggestions based on your input then. :roll: Try out any of the (swype capable) Android keyboards and you will know what i mean. Or just use Google. But hey, who am i to convince you that it's not for surveillance reasons?

A while ago, when I was on Windows 8, going through the Master level educational program and had to write many papers, I once received a pop up in Word: it opened a window with a pages of sentences from different papers I wrote in the past. It said- the Office wants to learn the topics I write about, the way I write and the way I build sentences to improve Office, and asked if it will be ok to send it to Microsoft. Because I often type my forum threads and personal messages in Word for the spelling check, a lot of stuff I typed over that year was in that text sample. I let them have it. I know I am not doing anything illegal, so they can have it. But it did not start with Windows 10. It been there all along.

Also when I installed Win 10, it asked if I am ok with sending my browsing history to Microsoft. I figured- it is good idea, as they need to know about all the software synths and sounds sites I am visiting. So go ahead- let them <ay be they will invest in music software when they learn what we do.

Interesting read about the security stuff. But at least on Windows you can turn most of the "features" off.
G & A give you no such freedoms.

The Wifi-Sense seems rather stupid though. It's spreading sensitive data about your local wi-fi across the global network. Why? I understand the functionality behind it, but not the way it's implemented. What will my 500+ Facebook friends do with my local network keys? Only 5% will ever visit my house. Or all my email contacts? Wtf?

Other than that Windows 10 has been golden. It works even better with my old HW setup than Windows 7 did. I run an RME PCI audiocard with 3x Powercore PCI cards, UAD-1 PCI card and a Focusrite LiquidMix on FireWire(VIA chip) and they all run smoothly. I also use Cubase 8 which is fine, as is my several eLicenser sticks and an ILOK2(service start trick). Even the ESI 8x8 midi-interface is fine.
Haven't had any issues with drivers yet.. even though everything i have is basically discontinued years ago (haha vintage). Still have to do some software installs to see if this will replace my Windows 7 completely.

Btw. Dpi scaling is implemented much nicer on W10. When it detected the 4k monitor it automatically scaled the interface up along with all the programs that support scaling. The ones that don't will be resampled to fit, or you can change the scaling individually to on/off.

Holy pixel density Batman,
that sounds sharp!
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Ewwwww windows 10.

I would love to tinker but I am thinking it's nothing like previous versions.

Any of you can start by disabling services that aren't wanted. I have no idea how much "integration" there is, but Windows has a history of failing gracefully when a service is unavailable (well, almost). You should be able to disable the update service. IF you cannot, then you may be able to disable whatever it's dependency is. In that case, update will fail gracefully but all it's code and shortcuts are still integrated into the shell. It's ugly :lol:

fmr wrote:
andrew71 wrote: Bad news... The iLok authorisation manager is moaning about not being installed correctly and there doesn't appear to be a way of uninstalling it through Control Panel or its own program group or folder. I guess that when I finally try the full upgrade I'll have to uninstall it first. I'd already moved the licenses off of the hard drive prior to upgrading.
Click on the search, write "Services", look for Pace iLOK and start it manually. It's stupid, but, as usual, Pace is behind (although I warned them months ago about the issues with License Manager).
Weird since it works great here without any problems.
I use the soft Ilok without any usb key.

mkdr wrote: The Wifi-Sense seems rather stupid though. It's spreading sensitive data about your local wi-fi across the global network. Why? I understand the functionality behind it, but not the way it's implemented. What will my 500+ Facebook friends do with my local network keys? Only 5% will ever visit my house. Or all my email contacts? Wtf?
That's actually the one thing i can really understand people are complaining about. It seems ridiculous using an encrypted key for your network safety, and then sharing that key with your friends, or even their friends. Not that i'd be surprised if many people actually did so... but that option should be optional at best for the general user.

chk071 wrote:
mkdr wrote: The Wifi-Sense seems rather stupid though. It's spreading sensitive data about your local wi-fi across the global network. Why? I understand the functionality behind it, but not the way it's implemented. What will my 500+ Facebook friends do with my local network keys? Only 5% will ever visit my house. Or all my email contacts? Wtf?
That's actually the one thing i can really understand people are complaining about. It seems ridiculous using an encrypted key for your network safety, and then sharing that key with your friends, or even their friends. Not that i'd be surprised if many people actually did so... but that option should be optional at best for the general user.
Ah, ok. Some new info
http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-windows ... rity-risk/

Should've just RTFM. Stupid of me.. sorry. :dog:
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”